PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise and loss of power

nickespi
05-24-2011, 09:50 AM
I took the boat out the other day to try out the new prop. We cruised around for about 30 min. I ran a few passes with the perfect pass to see how strong the long end was on the new prop. It felt good. Opened it up a couple of times and no problems. While heading back to the ramp I felt a quick loss in power. I immediately came off the throttle. I was real worried that maybe I didn't have the prop tight enough and it had backed off the shaft. I pretty much just idled back to the ramp and loaded her up. The prop was still there and didn't appear to be loose. Just can't figure out why it happened. I know it's a long shot, but any suggestions?

JLeuck64
05-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Might increase your odds if you give just a little more information ... ( ;

nickespi
05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Sorry, the best I can describe it as is the engine revved a little higher, but the boat slowed down. That's why I thought the prop came loose.

kskonn
05-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Sounds like the splines on your drive shaft might have come mis-aligned, I have seen this happen on peoples boats. If you have an older boat the splines get rounded off and they come out of the grooves causing the engine to rev and the boat to lose power. It is a long shot but something to check. What kind of boat?

willyt
05-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Actually, this is exactly what happens to me when we hit a small branch or something and it gets lodged in-between the shaft and the prop. I'd check your prop for dings along with the shaft splines.

nickespi
05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Boat is a 02 X30. My shaft is keyed...lol. Prop looks clean. No dings. Maybe just a fluke? Nothing to worry about I hope.

CantRepeat
05-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Don't rule out trans slippage. Check your fluids.

nickespi
05-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Don't rule out trans slippage. Check your fluids.

Good call. Is there a special marine trans fluid?

CantRepeat
05-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Good call. Is there a special marine trans fluid?

I'm not sure what year they changed from trans fluid to oil.

Jim@BAWS
05-24-2011, 01:53 PM
weeds...

Jim@BAWS

nickespi
05-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Also, how can I tell if I'm running ATF or if the PO switched to engine oil?

G-Star
05-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Also, how can I tell if I'm running ATF or if the PO switched to engine oil?

Just pull and wipe the dipstick.
Reddish fluid = ATF. Brown fluid = Motor Oil.

Thrall
05-24-2011, 03:55 PM
weeds...

Jim@BAWS

Probably...

nickespi
05-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Definitely not weeds. Was in the river at 30+ feet. Was some debris though from all the flooding.

peettee79
05-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Water in fuel ?

bobx1
05-25-2011, 10:43 AM
sub-merged trash bag.......

CantRepeat
05-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Definitely not weeds. Was in the river at 30+ feet. Was some debris though from all the flooding.

I hit a nice little branch the other day. End up making some noise and vibration so I stopped and check it out. The branch had hit just right that 2 of the prop blades hit the branch and the branch stuck to the prop. Pulled the branch off and off we went with no issues.

nickespi
05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I checked my trans fluid and it definitely looks like trans fluid, not oil. My only issue is that there is a sticker that says "this engine has been filled with fluid as per manufacturer specs: 15w40 Marine Penzoil," on the transmission housing. This same sticker is also on the valve cover on the oil cap. Had the sticker not been on the trans housing I would have never thought twice, but now I'm uncertain...

G-Star
05-25-2011, 06:21 PM
I checked my trans fluid and it definitely looks like trans fluid, not oil. My only issue is that there is a sticker that says "this engine has been filled with fluid as per manufacturer specs: 15w40 Marine Penzoil," on the transmission housing. This same sticker is also on the valve cover on the oil cap. Had the sticker not been on the trans housing I would have never thought twice, but now I'm uncertain...

Weird. I've got the same sticker, but my trans is definitely 15w-40.

Sounds like a shop switched the ATF for 15w-40 as per Indmar's bulletin and put the sticker on there, but maybe after that the PO changed it out for ATF b/c the manual says ATF?

Jerseydave
05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Sounds like your problem is trans-related. How old is that fluid? If it's been more than a year, change it. I would put 15W40 Pennzoil in it (or Rotella)
Take another lake test with it, check trans fluid again a make sure fluid level it correct.

nickespi
05-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Not sure on the trans fluid age??? Best way to remove trans fluid...I'm guessing pump???

G-Star
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Not sure on the trans fluid age??? Best way to remove trans fluid...I'm guessing pump???

Only way to remove the fluid is with a pump through either the dipstick hole or by removing the filter IIRC.

MityVac seems highly recommended.

Thrall
05-26-2011, 04:31 AM
$10 drill motor operated pump from Napa and some fittings/hoses work great for pulling fluid out of the trans, engine oil from the drain hose and lots of other garage projects. Cheaper than most any other pump or suction set up.
FWIW a turkey baster with a piece of fuel hose taped to the end works great too, just takes a little longer, maybe 15 min to get the trans fluid out.