PDA

View Full Version : How to Change Gauge Bezels and Dash Insert?

Ken
05-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Hey all, I have a 2000 X-Star and wanted to see if anyone could provide any advice before I dig into this gauge bezel and insert replacement task. Looks from under the dash like there is nothing but a fiberglass pod that all the wires run into. I'm guessing I need to undo the four screws or so on top of the dash and that will loosen up the entire dash/gauge cluster? I've attached a couple of pics on the dash and planned change. Any help is greatly appreciated.

lintwurm
05-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Nice upgrade. I recently did the same. Changed the background as well as the bezels to silver. The backplate is only held in by the guages themselves. Will post a picture tonight of the dash removed.

chawk610
05-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Looks Awesome!!!! Be careful... those gauge wires can ruin your day in a hurry!!! I did mine last year... it's an '83, so I used wood. But I left off a ground... guess what happened!!! LOL

russlars
05-24-2011, 03:20 PM
There are 2 screws under the steering column that need to come out (lay on your back to see them). The three black connectors on top have a small notch in them that you can get under with a small screwdriver. These pop out of the grommets and then you will be able to lift the entire dash assembly up to get to the backside of your gauges. Just make sure that you get everything plugged back in before reassembly (the voice of experience here). Good luck.