PDA

View Full Version : '79 Rear Seat help

FLATLINE
05-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Hello all! Newbie here. Im looking for a set of plans to make a rear seat for my '79 MasterCraft. Maybe even a pic so I get an idea what it looked like in a LTD. Thanks in advance.
Micheal

oxberger
05-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Flatline... welcome!!! I don't have any plans and there are tons of guys on here who have created their own rear seat or sun deck for the older models. I did find a pic for you...
http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3818&cat=7
I hope that helps. Where in the Southeast are you?

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
I really like that split rear bench seat design...

thinking....

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. Would like to see some pics of that '79

Here is a link to americanskierJim's restoration of his '80 LTD. It's a huge thread, but he rebuilt the rear seat in there somewhere.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33649

chawk610
05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Here is original and the sundeck / storage I did on my '83. I kept the rear bench for future selling. Hope it helps.

Slinkyredfoot
05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
The original back seat for my 79 was a split type configuration, a console in the center with a compartment with a lid, that could accommodate only a ski rope, pretty worthless, it rotted because it never dried out with the lid, and two beverage holders. Sorry I do not have a plan but I might have a pic. I believe it was MasterCraft's attempt at the time to make a ski boat into a more comfortable family boat. The idea was good but these older boats do not have a heck of a bunch of room.

I really never liked the back seat in our boat, we improvise and 5 or 6 people can be comfortable at idle speed at night. Im my opinion, don't waste you hard earned cashon a back seat, spend it on gas.

ahhudgins
05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
My 79 rear seat was made up of two cushions. There was a thin square cushion that was held to the stern with a row of snaps above the gas tank, and two snaps on the vertical panel covering the gas tank. The seat cushion just sat on the floor wedged under the thinner back cushion. The rear seat was used when we idled in and out of the cove, but once we started to ski anyone in the back was leaning against the motor cowl.

Mine was like this one, maybe he can help.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36393

FLATLINE
05-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks to all! We have a 4 and 7 year old that need somewhere to sit. Thats the need for the back seat. We had sold our SUPRA when our oldest was two and now we have decided to get back to the lake and Im headed up to Knoxville to pick up this boat tomm or friday. Ive always dreamed of this boat since I was a little kid watching them from our crusty ThunderCraft my dad had. Now at age 39 I found this one and it is in in awesome shape. Its only had two owners. Its one of the cleanest boats I have seen for its age. Its new home will be Hiwassee river in Bradley Co, Tn. We live in North Ga and its a short drive. Really looking forward to hearing that V8 rumble as you cruise down the river. Might even break out the ole' wood Dick Pope Jr. slalom ski just for old time sake!! (you should see the young kids faces when I would pull it out of the ski locker!)

Anyways.... thanks for the photos and info. Ill post up some pics as soon as I can.

liledgy
05-25-2011, 07:40 AM
If your going to make a seat, do yourself a favor and make 3 individual seat bottoms. Take the middle on out for entering and exiting the rear of boat. With 3 kids myself, it was thebest of both worlds, not having people step over seat to get to platform and still have seating for 2. The third cushion was stored in the bow of the boat if needed. This was on my 83 SS.

TxsRiverRat
05-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Can you please provide more detail on how you did the modification, who did it, cost, etc?

Thanks man

If your going to make a seat, do yourself a favor and make 3 individual seat bottoms. Take the middle on out for entering and exiting the rear of boat. With 3 kids myself, it was thebest of both worlds, not having people step over seat to get to platform and still have seating for 2. The third cushion was stored in the bow of the boat if needed. This was on my 83 SS.

liledgy
05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
My original back seat was in bad shape but still all there. I stole the idea from an 89 american skier advance. When I had my interior done, I explained to the owner what I wanted. The backrest pretty much is the same as before except for adding small legs in the front to tilt back for comfort. For the bottoms, the middle one is pretty much square, the 2 end ones had a small radious that followed the angle of the seat back. She also screwed in a piece of durable but thin plastic on the underside of the seat that when you pushed it in it slide between the bottom of the backrestcushion and the frame of the back rest, pretty much locking it in place. It never flew out on the few times I did trailer it. I don't know how to post pics from my phone but if you pm me I could send you a picture thru email or text.