PDA

View Full Version : Tapered down tool set for boat- recommendations?

jdhart73
05-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I have read the FAQ list that may require an upright toolbox on wheels but also wondered if anyone has a short but sweet essentials tool assortment that works for them? I have a handful of things but wanted to organize and add a few items if need be to keep on the boat.

Anyone have a short list of tools they keep on the boat at all times for me?

Thanks,
Jake

TimfromLowell
05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Get the OJ prop saver kit case and put all of you items in there!

TimfromLowell
05-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Get the OJ prop saver kit case and put all of you items in there, I did and it holds all of my tools and does not rattle around.

jdhart73
05-23-2011, 09:34 PM
I was not wanting to spend that kind of bread.... just hoping to put something in with what I have around the garage.

Barefooter92
05-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I went to sears the other day and picked up a set of sockets and nut driver kit along with a short set of assorted pliers for under $50. I put them in the boat on mothers day weekend and have accessed the tools on two different occasions.

Last year was my first full year of boat ownership, so everytime I worked on the boat I wrote down what I used and decided if this would be required on the water or at the dock. The small kit would get me home and leave the bigger stuff at the dock.:twocents:

73blue
05-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Picked up a little Task Force tool set from Lowes. Sockets, nut/screw driver, crescent wrench, flashlight, utility knife, electrical tape in a soft-side case for $15. Threw in a couple allen wrenches and it gets me through most stuff. Fits in glove box

ncsone
05-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Don't forget the 3/16" hex/allen head wrench/socket to remove the current model fuel pumps.

bturner2
05-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Not much help on this one. I'm one of the guys that carry the upper and lower Snap On box with me. Get teased all the time about it until someone needs something then I'm their best friend.

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I found 2 allen wrenches worked better than anything I've ever used in the past for removing a bad impellar

GoneBoatN
05-24-2011, 11:13 AM
I purchased a small tool box. As I work, I put the tools I use into the tool box. Some things I know I need more of. For example, Open End/Closed End wrench, I just put in the whole standard set. When it gets too full, just pair down some if the things you know you will not need on the water. I've found I get get everything in a small tool box that I would commonly need. Add a knife and swim goggles for when you wrap the rope around the prop/shaft. ;^)

agarabaghi
05-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I bring a huskey tool bag with me...

Wire cutters, wire splicers, pvc glue, electrical tape, wire connectors, electric drill, drill bits, screw heads, flat and Philips screw drivers, 2 vice grips, and other random small bits in the bottom of the bag, oh allen key set.

agarabaghi
05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
ratchet and socket heads

Thrall
05-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Not much help on this one. I'm one of the guys that carry the upper and lower Snap On box with me. Get teased all the time about it until someone needs something then I'm their best friend.

Exactly! Tore down an entire outdrive on a Baja with the tools in my boat kit.
I got a soft sided tool box, about the size of a Playmate cooler. Have a cheap socket set with all the torx/hex bits, and some combo wrenches, etc. 10way Klein screwdriver, prop puller, prop nut, fuel line tool, spare fuel pump, plastic coated tie wire, hose clamps, a little 3/8 and heater hose, hose splice couplings, serpentine belt, mini hacksaw, tape, impeller, epoxy, glue, etc, trailer bearings/seal, flashlight, swim goggles, spotlight, leatherman, multi meter, some wire and connectors, jumper cables, tube rope for towing, another cheap knife, HEET for the gas tank, probably more. It's all compact less than 40lbs.

barefoot
05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
I have a small plastic tool box (so it doesn't rust) with an extra impeller, socket and wrench set, crescent wrench, and screwdriver. I also keep an extra prop, prop puller, and goggles onboard to take care of any prop issues that may arrise.