PDA

View Full Version : How much damage did I do?

skierdan
05-23-2011, 08:59 PM
So tell me if this has ever happened to you.....

Took the boat out for is first spin this season, May long weekend, ice has been gone a week and my 7 year old wanted to ski ( no joke, he did)

I had changed the impeller a week before, but it appears there is an arm that holds the impeller in place to prevent vibration that I did not pay much attention to.

About 90 seconds from shore the vibration caused those 4 brass screws that hold the impellar cover in place to fall out and the engine compartment started to fill up with water.....fast.

I figured this would be a good time to turn the bilge on, :) but what to do? stop and try to fix it or zip back to shore? I chose the latter and hustled back to the dock.

So in my infinite stupidity, how much damage did I do? water was moving through the engine but not nearly as much as should have been, some hoses were hot to touch but my temp gauge stayed under 160.

I will change the tranny fluid as a precaution,

If I would have stopped would the water keep on coming or would it stop as well?

what else can I check to make sure I didn't really screw this up?

thanks

(94 ps 205 LT1)

Thrall
05-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Water would stop if you shut the engine off, it s/b above lake level by a little bit (I think).
With the LT1 you run a greater risk of doing damage if it overheats due to the aluminum heads, but if the engine was still getting some water and assuming htat the water was what was keeping the temp guage steady, then you're probably ok.
Fix it up and go for a ride. If there's no water in the oil or in the bilge (warped head) then you're likely fine. The bottom end of a small block chevy will run a long time without doing damage and the reverse flow water pumps on hte LT1's cool the heads first.
Also if it got hot, you'd smell the rubber exhaust hoses starting to burn/melt as your first indicator. If you didn't smell them burning you're fine. Just a a precaution, check that they're still a bit flexible and didn't get crispy inside.
How long did you run it? 2 minutes, 10 mintues?
Why worry about the trans fluid unless the water got real high in the bilge, like up to the dipstick? The trans cooler was still getting all the water it needed for cooling. Unless it has water in the oil, don't worry about it.

skierdan
05-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks Thrall, total run time once I saw the problem was only about 3 minutes. I think everything will be ok, I just dont know how high the water got in the engine compartment, the trans dipstick sits pretty low, so I thought water would have got in there over the top. Is this worth changing the trans fluid?

didnt smell any burnt rubber, I will give it a test run this weekend

thanks

Dan

Kyle
05-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Run it again and see if trans fluid gets milky or very light pink. If it's normal after running it, it will be fine.

Thrall
05-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Run it again and see if trans fluid gets milky or very light pink. If it's normal after running it, it will be fine.

Yup. And if you didn't smell anything burning it didn't get hot.
My X2 idled without picking up any water to the engine 1st time out last year for 5min + and there was rubber getting real hot on the exhaust tubes, burning smell. No engine damage.