PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires... Which are best?

oumiller28
05-23-2011, 09:28 PM
So I have a 07 X-Star and I just blew my second tire on Friday. The first one went coming home from Tahoe last July. So are my tires just "old" now??? My boat is always trailerd and stays in an enclosed RV parking, and never sits for more than 4 months. Anyway I am thinking about replacing all 5 tires. Do I get the OEM Good Year Marathons or what? Maxxis?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Anything is a better than the Marathons.

oumiller28
05-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Suggestions would be great... but if you know what tire (ST215/75R14) is the best. I wana know, ya know. They have to keep the love of my life safe... and my family too! :))

CantRepeat
05-23-2011, 10:32 PM
See what your guy has and make sure it's a 6 ply trailer tire.

liledgy
05-24-2011, 12:48 AM
On tractorbynet.com, theirs different forums, one is trailers/vehicles. They talk about alot of different subjects and tires are one of them. A poster by the name of diamond pilot is very knowledgeable. Carlyles are terrible, he recommends a tire that has the word green in it. I can't exactly remember the name buy you could do a search on that site.

sand2snow22
05-24-2011, 12:58 AM
On tractorbynet.com, theirs different forums, one is trailers/vehicles. They talk about alot of different subjects and tires are one of them. A poster by the name of diamond pilot is very knowledgeable. Carlyles are terrible, he recommends a tire that has the word green in it. I can't exactly remember the name buy you could do a search on that site.

I just googled.....Greenball?

Stephen Nordquist
05-24-2011, 01:03 AM
I have the same issue my marathons are seven years old and need replacement. I have never had a problem but then they were made in australia not china. All of my research points to maxxis or second choice greenball . Costco sells greenball and discount tire sells maxxis.

sand2snow22
05-24-2011, 01:05 AM
I have the same issue my marathons are seven years old and need replacement. I have never had a problem but then they were made in australia not china. All of my research points to maxxis or second choice greenball . Costco sells greenball and discount tire sells maxxis.

Good to know. Tell me why Maxxis over greenball (so I don't have to do research:)

Boater_C
05-24-2011, 02:45 AM
Can't complain about Les Schwab tires, and they always have excellent service!

Stephen Nordquist
05-24-2011, 04:10 AM
There is not a lot of specific information on trailer tires other than customer reviews. Maxxis or greenball very close . I am going to buy a set of greenballs size st 225/75/r15 e rated for 114 dollars a tire plus installation at costco. My feeling is costco usually carries brands that give them the least problems and best quality and value for their customers.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Both Maxxis and Greenball have fine trailer tires. I would feel comfortable on either. Carlisle had a bad name from years ago, but haven't heard of anyone with problems in a long time. The Kumho tires are very good quality.

Costco has 2 reasons for selling the Greenball tires. They are good quality and Greenball gives them a better deal than the other guys.

I don't discount the China manufactured tires. I have sold a lot of tires from there over the years, and just like anywhere you have something manufactured, it is all in the design specs and quality control. Some of the early tires produce in China were complete crap, but there are a few brands of passenger and light truck tires that are quite good.

KnoxX2
05-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Ok... So I have a 06 that was built in 05 and have the same stock tires on there. Have I just gotten lucky? We tow at least 1 hour each way to the local lake and up to TN. at least 2 times a year. I am looking at replacing my tires this year. Guess I will be looking for a different brand!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Not all Marathons are bad. They just seem to have a huge quality control problem.

CantRepeat
05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Peter,

Let me ask a question, or kind of a follow up I was having with my local tire dealer(he's an old door gunner from Nam so I support him).

When I was getting my Carlisle put on my 06, replacing the Marathons he asked my why I getting the done. The Marathons had a ton of tread on them. But I blew one out not more then 20 miles into my drive home last Oct. I told him that I've read so many bad things about the tires I just can't see taking a chance on it. He told me the failure rate on the Marathons was no greater then most trailer tires and explained the reason we see such a high rate was because of the amount of Marathons on the road. IE if you have 20 thousand Greenballs and 10 million Marathons you'll see more failures even if its only .1 % of the Marathons going bad.

I figure you can make anything work with numbers but told him to replace them anyway. There's just been too many boat owners here that have had the same issue. I in fact check the air pressure within 2 miles of my pick up point before getting on the hwy but still lost a tire within 20 miles of heading home. None of the tires had dry-rot on them.

rspiecha
05-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Kumho for tandem trailers with 14" rims and torsion suspension. Only D rate tire I can find. Friend has had good luck with the Maxxis tires also.

Here is what happens with Marathon tires.

http://www.memphiszclub.com/graphics/Maristar210/Marathon%20Tires.jpg

Rob

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Hey Peter,

Let me ask a question, or kind of a follow up I was having with my local tire dealer(he's an old door gunner from Nam so I support him).

When I was getting my Carlisle put on my 06, replacing the Marathons he asked my why I getting the done. The Marathons had a ton of tread on them. But I blew one out not more then 20 miles into my drive home last Oct. I told him that I've read so many bad things about the tires I just can't see taking a chance on it. He told me the failure rate on the Marathons was no greater then most trailer tires and explained the reason we see such a high rate was because of the amount of Marathons on the road. IE if you have 20 thousand Greenballs and 10 million Marathons you'll see more failures even if its only .1 % of the Marathons going bad.

I figure you can make anything work with numbers but told him to replace them anyway. There's just been too many boat owners here that have had the same issue. I in fact check the air pressure within 2 miles of my pick up point before getting on the hwy but still lost a tire within 20 miles of heading home. None of the tires had dry-rot on them.

My GY info comes from a large GY dealer. He doesn't have Marathons on his trailers. Smell what I'm stepping in?

CantRepeat
05-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Same tire for me as well.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/tire.jpg

CantRepeat
05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
My GY info comes from a large GY dealer. He doesn't have Marathons on his trailers. Smell what I'm stepping in?

Yeah, but I hope to steer clear of it with my new set. lol

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but I hope to steer clear of it with my new set. lol

The main causes of trailer tire failure is under-inflation and overloading. Something most people don't consider is that the under-inflation that caused the tire to fail wasn't necessarily from the trip where the tire went down. The damage may well have been done on a previous trip and was just waiting for an especially inopportune time to go.

kman
05-24-2011, 12:42 PM
That was my trailer in the first picture, and those tires had about 3000 miles on them. It was always stored in a garage and the trailer is on jacks in the winter, and tires always had max pressure. I guess I had some of the bad batch. Anyway, I replaced with Maxxis and have about 2200 miles on these. I had them off just recently as I was bleeding the brakes, and they look almost brand new still.

However, next time, I think I'm going with the Kuhmos, since they are D rated. rspiecha has them, and the side walls are much stiffer and appear to hold the wieght a little better.

oumiller28
05-24-2011, 05:42 PM
"I am going to buy a set of greenballs..." There has to be a good joke in there!!
Greenballs for me too!! (I cant say that now without laughing)
I would have went with Maxxis just so I wouldnt have to say "I have greenballs," but no one in Bakersfield has them in stock. So Im on my way to get a set of Greenballs... chukel.

oumiller28
05-29-2011, 12:39 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=483&pictureid=3168

I just wanted to everyone to see my new set of Greenballs!! Thanks for all the advise!

Stephen Nordquist
05-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Let us know what you think of them after you put a few miles on them. Is the brand name tow master? ( on your green balls)

oumiller28
06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Greenballs, so far so good. Just a few trips to Lake Buena Vista about 30min drive each way (Once or twice a week). Will be going to Shaver Lake for Fathers Day Weekend. That is about a 3 1/2 hour drive each way. If anyone else will be up in that area come say hi, we'll be at camp Edison.

deminimis
07-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Can't complain about Les Schwab tires, and they always have excellent service!

Sure, if by excellent service you mean installing three 215 and one 205 tires on my trailer, getting charged for new stems and balancing @ $81 which they didn't do, and having some kid jackknife my truck/camper combo into my X-Star and then lie about it to his boss saying I told him I loaned my boat to my brother-in-law and the damage happened then (My BiL lives in Germany, so that would be a nifty trick and the the chances of me loaning my boat out to anyone, well, there's just no chance of that -You guys know how silly that claim is). Sorry for the rant and not doubting your good experiences at LS Boater, but holy crap my most recent experience with them (last week) was un-f'n-believable.

Back on track now. Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis. Love them on my dirt bikes. Love them even more on my heavy race trailer. No opinion on the Greenball tires, but if available at your local Costco (and based on what I've heard here), sounds like they are definitely worth a look.

TxsRiverRat
07-20-2011, 03:32 PM
If the tires do not specifically say "ST" DO NOT but them on your trailer.

kman
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM
3600 miles on the Maxxis so far, no problems.

tideengineer
07-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I will have to replace my tires and rims soon...saltwater got them. 215r75 14....Bias or Radial?....I only haul 30 miles at a time...single axle trailer....

deminimis
07-20-2011, 04:14 PM
If you have room, I'd think 15" wheels would be more appropriate for a single. You can more easily get higher load ratings than those commonly available in 14"

tideengineer
07-20-2011, 04:35 PM
thinking of going to a 205r75 15

deminimis
07-20-2011, 04:51 PM
I'd vote radial and with more load rating than you think you need. I would treat your 30-mile trips the same as cross-country trips when shopping for tires. It sucks trying to change a trailer tire along side the road (not to mention the loss of time on the water, plus safety issues, plus risk damaging your trailer/boat from blowouts). Just need to make sure your wheels can handle higher pressures if, for example, you go with an E load tire (80 psi).

Thrall
07-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Not to keep beating the dead Marathon horse, but I've had many trailers and even more if youcount the numerous company owned trailers and while I've seen plenty of blowouts, the GY Marathons are the ONLY tires I've seen where the tread peels off like a re-cap.
Lost 4 Marathons in 2009 on 2 different MC trailers all within the same month and all of the tires were mfd in 2005, 4 years old.
I got my old Marathons covered by a tire shop that basically did me a huge favor and he put some Commodores on the X2 trailer. SO far so good after 2 years. Got several thousand towing miles on them (bullchit that I've only put 60 hrs on the boat in htat time though!).
If I was purchasing new tires I'd get the D rated Kumho 857's.
Have a pair on my sled trailer and they are pretty tough tires.

Slightly off topic.....Anyone buy the overstock OE MC aluminum rims from that shop selling them off a year or 2 ago?
I bought one for my spare and the guy gave me a "great deal" on a tire mounted on the rim. Was like only $30-40 more than the rim.
Well less than 2 yrs later, stored inside, the tire is all dry-rotted and cracked. Chkd the mfg date on the tire, it's 10 years old!

east tx skier
07-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Four years and counting (nervously) on my American made 2007 D rated Goodyear Marathons.

Thrall
07-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Four years and counting (nervously) on my American made 2007 D rated Goodyear Marathons.

Hope you got metal fenders!:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
07-20-2011, 08:15 PM

You must like living on the edge:rolleyes:

east tx skier
07-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Hope you got metal fenders!:rolleyes:

I do as a matter of fact. :). My trailer doesn't have flimsy fenders.

And I have had a 2004 era of GY Marathon separate on me as I was delivering my old boat to it's new owner at about 70 mph. No fun at all.

east tx skier
07-20-2011, 08:21 PM
You must like living on the edge:rolleyes:

I just keep an eye on them. My last pair looked misshapen before the first one went south. I'm not going to replace them without any evidence of a problem specific to my tires, that's for sure. Although, if I make it through 5 seasons, I may call it a day with them.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
The other tires that have had this problem come from Firestone. the tires that were on the Explorers were manufactured during the strike and management and scab workers were making the tires.

Firestone produced a model 721 in the 80's that had the same problem.

east tx skier
07-20-2011, 08:29 PM
The other tires that have had this problem come from Firestone. the tires that were on the Explorers were manufactured during the strike and management and scab workers were making the tires.

Firestone produced a model 721 in the 80's that had the same problem.

According to the GY dealer I visited after my treed separation incident, they changed the layup in around early 2007 to try to solve the issue and were recommending you go as big as possible on the tires. My current set are 225/75/15 and D rated.

Thrall
07-20-2011, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier;773229] My trailer doesn't have flimsy fenders.

QUOTE]

Mine didn't either until it got horse-whipped by a tire tread 256 times!
:)

east tx skier
07-20-2011, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier;773229] My trailer doesn't have flimsy fenders.

QUOTE]

Mine didn't either until it got horse-whipped by a tire tread 256 times!
:)

Surprisingly, my old MC fiberglass fenders got out with only a few scratches.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4033.jpg?t=1311210080

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4035.jpg?t=1311210112

mtajpa
07-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Well my GREENBALLS have at least 6000 miles on the in 2 years. However I did have to replace 1 after the last trip back from Missouri. I hit a pot hole or something on I40 west bound. Running at least 70mph and it took a chunk of the tread off but didn't blow. In fact the only way I noticed it was I had a low front tire on the truck (thanks to the trucker that I played tag with for 1050 miles). Got out to change the tire and had a look around and thats when I found the GREENBALL had taken a hit. I would recommend GREENBALLS as I also have them on my fifthwheel.

east tx skier
07-20-2011, 11:27 PM
So am I summarizing this all correctly that our best bets are Kumho, Maxxi and Greenball?

/these tire manufacturers seem to be trying to outnasty the other guy when it comes to names, that's for sure.

Patrick Hardy
07-20-2011, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=Thrall;773215]If I was purchasing new tires I'd get the D rated Kumho 857's.

[QUOTE=east tx skier;773271]So am I summarizing this all correctly that our best bets are Kumho, Maxxi and Greenball?

I have had three sets of D rated Kumho 857's in fifteen years of owning my 1996 tandem axel trailer. I have never had a blown tire let alone a single flat in that time. I keep my boat on the trailer year round and travel up and down the west coast during the summers.

I know that they are harder and harder to find these days, but I have had great success with them.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-20-2011, 11:56 PM
According to the GY dealer I visited after my treed separation incident, they changed the layup in around early 2007 to try to solve the issue and were recommending you go as big as possible on the tires. My current set are 225/75/15 and D rated.

Coming from sources in the know, the new design is better but still not the answer.

Thrall
07-21-2011, 01:35 AM
[QUOTE=Thrall;773215]If I was purchasing new tires I'd get the D rated Kumho 857's.

[QUOTE=east tx skier;773271]So am I summarizing this all correctly that our best bets are Kumho, Maxxi and Greenball?

I have had three sets of D rated Kumho 857's in fifteen years of owning my 1996 tandem axel trailer. I have never had a blown tire let alone a single flat in that time. I keep my boat on the trailer year round and travel up and down the west coast during the summers.

I know that they are harder and harder to find these days, but I have had great success with them.

Good to know, as that's what my boat trailer is getting in a cpl yrs when these tires start to take a chit.
They're also the only D load rated 14" tire available I believe, truck or trailer tire.
My single axle sled trailer had Nankang D load tires on it for 10 years, then 2 summers ago, they developed large tumors while jsut sitting in storage. One of them blew up about 4" larger in dia than it should have been. Was actually hard to get it off the lugs and under the frame rail, thought I was going to have to pop it like a big zit to remove it!

tideengineer
07-21-2011, 09:35 AM
My good friend owns a tire shop and we are going to put the Kumho's on my trailer...

ctjahn
07-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Interesting topic and timing...

On my racing forum some guys are having a rash of blowouts as well...(Mind you they are bigger enclosed trailers). If I have time I will review the thread and post opinions noted there....

I am running Carisle Load Range E 16" Tires on my 32' 10,000 pound dual axle enclosed and SHOULD replace on a 3 year rotation (not because of tread but because of abuse, and weather). http://www.carlisletire.com/

Running the 1978 whitewalls on the MC trailer (And continue to dodge bullets; I have two new ones and two new spares but... I need to weld the studs to the hub and havent had time) - Heading back up to Tomahawk (4 hour drive) in a couple weeks with buttcheeks clenched and fingers crossed.

cj

east tx skier
07-21-2011, 11:40 AM

I looked last night and don't see any Kumho trailer tires for 15" rims.

east tx skier
07-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Coming from sources in the know, the new design is better but still not the answer.

That's what I figured. My next tires will likely be something different, but I see no visible evidence that causes me to want to chuck my present set before I get a moderate lifespan out of them.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-21-2011, 12:34 PM
That's what I figured. My next tires will likely be something different, but I see no visible evidence that causes me to want to chuck my present set before I get a moderate lifespan out of them.

Good decision. They weren't all bad.....just an alarming percentage.

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
These are the tires I put on this year and they have been great so far... Shipped and installed by a tire shop down the street: $175

http://www.vulcantire.com/wlsuperst_t.htm

Patrick Hardy
07-21-2011, 05:00 PM
I looked last night and don't see any Kumho trailer tires for 15" rims.

ETS - you are right, I run 14" rims and tires on my 1996 trailer. I do not know if they make
15" Kumho 857 tires.

deminimis
07-21-2011, 05:22 PM
These are the tires I put on this year and they have been great so far... Shipped and installed by a tire shop down the street: $175

http://www.vulcantire.com/wlsuperst_t.htm

We have those on our horse trailer (1+ year). So far so good.

east tx skier
07-21-2011, 06:55 PM
ETS - you are right, I run 14" rims and tires on my 1996 trailer. I do not know if they make
15" Kumho 857 tires.

I think the answer is they don't. Maxxis does for $130 per tire though.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2011, 12:41 AM
I have been selling Gladiator QR25 ST205/75R14 6 ply and the ST 225/75R15 8 ply. The price is right and they are a decent tire. No history of delamination blowouts.

gatorguy
07-22-2011, 12:56 AM
I have been selling Gladiator QR25 ST205/75R14 6 ply and the ST 225/75R15 8 ply. The price is right and they are a decent tire. No history of delamination blowouts.

I just ordered these from thatsmrmastercraft. They should be here soon. I'll let you know how they work. I'll be pulling to lake Powell 900 miles one way soon. I hope they don't leave me stranded. According to my local tire guy anything other than a GY is no good, but then again they make them just down the road from us.

Wake2004
07-22-2011, 02:26 AM
I was told by my Goodyear dealer that the Marathons are under warranty for 5 years and they will pay for any damage to a trailer if I were to have a tread separation within the 5 years. Has anyone tried to use this warranty? I decided to go with the Marathons last year because of this warranty despite all of the horror stories. I do not have to worry anymore as I do not own the boat anymore but I am curious if the warranty is legit.

Thrall
07-22-2011, 02:56 AM
I was told by my Goodyear dealer that the Marathons are under warranty for 5 years and they will pay for any damage to a trailer if I were to have a tread separation within the 5 years. Has anyone tried to use this warranty? I decided to go with the Marathons last year because of this warranty despite all of the horror stories. I do not have to worry anymore as I do not own the boat anymore but I am curious if the warranty is legit.

Mine were 4 years old when they took a crap.
BigO, whom I did not buy the tires from, but sent alot of work their way, said the warranty was only 3 years. They did however warranty 3 bad tires and 2 good ones, "pro rated" down to $22/tire and replaced them with Commodores.
Thought that was an outstanding deal at the time. I got out of there for just under $200 mounted and balanced for 5 tires, plus I had him swap a couple other tires around to different rims.

Thrall
07-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Just looked up the warranty and Tire Rack states 6years warranty on workmanship, free replacement if worn less then 2/32 and prorated downfrom there to $0 at the last 2/32 of wear.
Maybe I didn't get a bargain. Then again, one trailer was 1000mi from where I bought the tires and the other, I bought the trailer/boat used with those tires, althought the DOT mfg date should govern I'd think.
Just wish one on each trailer hadn't effed up the fenders!:mad:

AZX45OD
07-23-2011, 05:29 PM
So my Goodyear Marathons fell apart in 2009 on the way to Lake Powell. I lost 3 tires in about an hour of driving on my 07 X30 trailer. I replaced them in Flagstaff with Tow Masters from Discount Tire. They have performed great until one blew out today. It is unclear if the tire just failed or if I hit something in the road (more likely). But regardless, it did not completely fall apart like the Marathons did. After reviewing this thread I was wishing that I had the class D Kumhos or at least the Costco "Greenballs". But when I looked at my receipt today for the replacement from Discount Tire it said "Greenball Tow Master." Apparently I have had greenballs all along and didn't know it. Does anyone know if this Tow Master by Greenball is the same one they sell at Costco that is getting decent reviews?

mtajpa
07-23-2011, 09:23 PM
If it was your right front tire you probably hit the same pothole I did. Discount tire gave me a new one for the price of the certificate. It was a GREENBALL also.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2011, 09:25 PM
If it was your right front tire you probably hit the same pothole I did. Discount tire gave me a new one for the price of the certificate. It was a GREENBALL also.

Good for Discount Tire. Nothing like keeping a customer happy.

gatorguy
07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
So here are my current tires. Anyone think they will make it the 900 miles to Powell in 105 deg weather?:rolleyes: Most have cracks in the sidewalls, the spare had a very round profile (the center sticks up way farther then the edges, pict#2) and one is completely bald. Another has a strange wear pattern were the leading edge of one tread is tall, and then the trailing edge of the same chunk of tread is worn all the way down. It's like a series of ski jumps all the way around the tire. I think the PO ran them low for a long time.

I hope my new ones last better. Now I just have to wait for them to show up.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Yikes! That tire bald in the center was run at too high a pressure. Sounds like you are correct on the other tire under-pressure.

cds02
07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
I just went through the same things deciding on tires and i went with Maxxis. I trusted the tire dealer and knew them well and they assured me that they where as good if not better than anything else and they has used them for years without problems

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I just went through the same things deciding on tires and i went with Maxxis. I trusted the tire dealer and knew them well and they assured me that they where as good if not better than anything else and they has used them for years without problems

You have a good tire dealer. Maxxis are fine tires.

cds02
07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
You have a good tire dealer. Maxxis are fine tires.

I hope so!!! I have yet to run them much but am pleased so far.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2011, 11:55 PM
I hope so!!! I have yet to run them much but am pleased so far.

No worries.........I wouldn't hesitate to put them on my trailer.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-24-2011, 12:05 AM
^So inquiring minds want to know what does the tire dealer have on his own personal trailer?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2011, 12:07 AM
^So inquiring minds want to know what does the tire dealer have on his own personal trailer?

Gladiator QR25 ST205/75R14 6 ply on a tandem axle trailer.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks, whats your thoughts on nitrogen, I am a big fan of using nitrogen in all my stuff since my military days,.all aircraft use nitrogen as well as some emergency vehicles and I believe nascar does as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Nitrogen plays a huge factor in long tire life. No drawbacks at all.........strictly bonus.

keith3613
07-24-2011, 12:55 AM
You may not believe this. I left the original Goodyear trailer tires on my 1984 Stars and Stripes for over 20 years. I live close (5 miles) to a lake and kept the boat in a dark insulated garage the whole time. I skied 4 times a week during that time. And, I took several out of town trips during that time as well. The tires looked good when I replaced them. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2011, 01:03 AM
You may not believe this. I left the original Goodyear trailer tires on my 1984 Stars and Stripes for over 20 years. I live close (5 miles) to a lake and kept the boat in a dark insulated garage the whole time. I skied 4 times a week during that time. And, I took several out of town trips during that time as well. The tires looked good when I replaced them. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons.

Sunlight is a huge factor in tire life. That dark garage went a long way. That's why the RV guys use tire cover when not in motion. Your original Marathons were built before the problems started.

Nvrgvup
07-24-2011, 04:08 PM
I have had good luck with a set of Tow-Master Radials so far.

Keeping your tires properly inflated is key. Filling with Nitrogen will help a little with temp / pressure fluctuations however I think is is just a pain if you ever have to top up your tires. I don't keep tanks of Nitrogen at home. Remember regular air is 78% Ni already. For simplicity sake keep a tire Gage with you and just check the tires before you take off.

deminimis
07-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Probably LTs. Haha!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-24-2011, 06:57 PM
I have had good luck with a set of Tow-Master Radials so far.

Keeping your tires properly inflated is key. Filling with Nitrogen will help a little with temp / pressure fluctuations however I think is is just a pain if you ever have to top up your tires. I don't keep tanks of Nitrogen at home. Remember regular air is 78% Ni already. For simplicity sake keep a tire Gage with you and just check the tires before you take off.

Nitrogen can be a pain if you pick up a nail and have a flat if a generator is not available, but you could simply just add air and purge when it's available. I just like it because of the moisture and temperature control and makes the tires last longer from dry rotting, It's easy for me because I have a nitrigen generator at my shop. My customers that buy the nitrogen service receive free purge and refills for the life of the car under their ownership even if they don't buy tires from me.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Nitrogen can be a pain if you pick up a nail and have a flat if a generator is not available, but you could simply just add air and purge when it's available. I just like it because of the moisture and temperature control and makes the tires last longer from dry rotting, It's easy for me because I have a nitrigen generator at my shop. My customers that buy the nitrogen service receive free purge and refills for the life of the car under their ownership even if they don't buy tires from me.

Nice customer service.:cool:

lanier92prostar
07-25-2011, 12:24 AM

I had to use this warranty on a set of G rated trailer tires. Goodyear not only fixed the camper but replaced the other 3 tires as well. You think there is damage to a boat trailer?:D

lanier92prostar
07-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Sunlight is a huge factor in tire life. That dark garage went a long way. That's why the RV guys use tire cover when not in motion. Your original Marathons were built before the problems started.

When did the problems start with the marathons? My camper tire had problems from 2004 to 2008, not many problems after. Never go more that 5 years on a trailer tire is a good rule.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2011, 12:49 AM
When did the problems start with the marathons? My camper tire had problems from 2004 to 2008, not many problems after. Never go more that 5 years on a trailer tire is a good rule.

Not sure on the dates, but I think not too long before you got your camper tires. Your 5 year rule is a good one. I assume you are working that 5 years from the DOT date on the tire.

lanier92prostar
07-25-2011, 04:26 PM
DOT numbers are correct. Unfortunately, Goodyear makes the only G rated tires in the size that I need for my camper.

gatorguy
07-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Just put 4 of these on my trailer yesterday. One trip to the lake last night and they are still in good shape. We will be out a couple more times befor my trip to Lake Powell. I want to work out any bugs before we go.

Tires look good, and at around half the price of the Good Year I can't complain, yet...

Thanks to Peter for setting me up. Unlike Kyle's misleading avitar, thatsmrmastercraft really is out selling tires.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Just put 4 of these on my trailer yesterday. One trip to the lake last night and they are still in good shape. We will be out a couple more times befor my trip to Lake Powell. I want to work out any bugs before we go.

Tires look good, and at around half the price of the Good Year I can't complain, yet...

Thanks to Peter for setting me up. Unlike Kyle's misleading avitar, thatsmrmastercraft really is out selling tires.

Happy to hep you out Jesse. Thanks for the business.

Kyle's misleading avitar:D:D:D

PA Prostar
07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
If you have room, I'd think 15" wheels would be more appropriate for a single. You can more easily get higher load ratings than those commonly available in 14"

Has anyone modified a trailer from 14s to handle 15s? I'm thinking of doing that for a couple of reasons. I've blown a couple of 14s out that were brand new. It would get be a better load tire, and raise the prop guard a little as well. I have a 2000 Prostar trailer and would be interested in hearing if anyone has done it. It seems like it would be fairly simple.

Miss Rita
07-29-2011, 09:57 PM
No mods are required. You just buy 15" wheels with the same bolt pattern as the fourteens. The tires will be closer to the fenders, but there should be plenty of room. Keep in mind that if the trailer is 1" higher you'll have to back deeper into the water to load.

PA Prostar
08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks. The tires look like they will end up really close to the fenders though - thus my question. I'll take a closer look and see. I'm in the "thinking about it" stage and haven't really looked at it too closely yet. Thanks again.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-01-2011, 11:15 AM
^ if the tires are to close to the fenders you could add blocks to the springs to raise the trailer height and get your clearance back.

east tx skier
08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Well, I noticed a little knot developing on one of my tires yesterday. Looks like new trailer tires are in my future.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Well, I noticed a little knot developing on one of my tires yesterday. Looks like new trailer tires are in my future.

Good eye................going with another set of Marathons???

east tx skier
08-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Good eye................going with another set of Marathons???

Since I have 15s on my trailer, I went with the Maxxis (couldn't do Kumho in that size). After all I have read, I'll see if I can get better life than 4 years. Should be here in a few days.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Since I have 15s on my trailer, I went with the Maxxis (couldn't do Kumho in that size). After all I have read, I'll see if I can get better life than 4 years. Should be here in a few days.

You should be happy with the Maxxis tires. Realistically, anything more than 5 years on a trailer tire is beyond reasonable expectations.

east tx skier
08-01-2011, 03:29 PM
You should be happy with the Maxxis tires. Realistically, anything more than 5 years on a trailer tire is beyond reasonable expectations.

I would have looked at replacing them next season had I not seen this. I don't put a lot of miles on the trailer, but the asphalt is hot in Texas.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I would have looked at replacing them next season had I not seen this. I don't put a lot of miles on the trailer, but the asphalt is hot in Texas.

I believe that would be a "dry heat" heating that asphalt this year.:D

east tx skier
08-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes, sir. A guy from my ski club was leaving the ramp yesterday and shouted back, "If you have any half empty water bottles, dump them in the lake before you go. We need all the help we can get!"

True.

I believe that would be a "dry heat" heating that asphalt this year.:D

PA Prostar
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
^ if the tires are to close to the fenders you could add blocks to the springs to raise the trailer height and get your clearance back.

That's what I'll probably do for peace of mind.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes, sir. A guy from my ski club was leaving the ramp yesterday and shouted back, "If you have any half empty water bottles, dump them in the lake before you go. We need all the help we can get!"

True.

I've had almost 1 1/2" of rain in the last two hours, and it's not done yet. I would be happy to share if i could. We just finished the 4th hottest July ever in MN.