PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge Question

stu272
05-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I have a 2006 X-45 with a 90 gal tank. The fuel Gauge works but when it reads empty at idle I still have 30 gallons left. I see that there's ajustment screws on the sending unit for full and empty. Should I adust the empty or full to screw clockwise or count clockwise to get the gauge to go up to about a 1/4 tank when it's reading empty.

davidstan
05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I have an 08 w/ MCX, same type issue sometimes it will show full when it is down to 1/2 tank. On the 08's there is a black screw on cap with wires going into the cap, beneath the cap is a 9 or 10 inch dip stick type device. Whenever i unscrew it and pull it out then back in the gauge will start working again accurately for a half a day then back to inaccurate readings. Anyone had this issue and got it resolved? dont mean to jack this but it is similar issue but i dont see the adjustment screws on my tank.

Kyle
05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
You can adjust the sender to read perfect if you want too. I have the new style sender in my boat.

Drink a big bottle of wine as that was the same depth as my tank. If the sender is longer than that bottle use a 2 liter coke bottle.

Mark a 1/4 1/2 3/4 mark on the side of the sender with a sharpie by measuring the sender and even space your marks.

Fill the bottle with gas. Water will not read correctly.

Lower the sender into the bottle and watch your guage. Adjust the sender very little adjustments as you go.

I went OCD on mine. It reads exact. When it's empty I have like 2 or 3 gallons left at most.

Took me 30 to 45 min. Time was well spent as now I know exactly how much gas I have.

davidstan
05-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Where on the sender do you make the adjustment? Is there a screw or another place on the tank to make that adjustment? Thx for your help

Kyle
05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
There are 2 screws on the top of the sender. One will do the empty side the other will do the full side.

This is the time consuming tedious part. Very little adjustment goes a long way. Too much adjustment will effect the opposite side. You adjust both screws slowly and just figure it out.

It's trial and error. By no means is this brain surgery. I just took a little more time as I am OCD and wanted it to be perfect.

Kyle
05-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Put sender in bottle at 1/4 and get it to read 1/4 on guage. Then slowly raise sender and adjust to empty. Then adjust 1/2 and 3/4 and full.

You raise and lower sender in the bottle of gas making slight adjustments to the screws on top. 1/2 a turn on the screw on top is over the top extreme. Use a tiny Phillips head screw driver or a small glasses Phillips head screwdriver. The screws are small.

You will spend time putting the sender in and out of the bottle while tuning in Tokyo with the small screws on top.

I figured it all out without instructions. You will be fine.

stu272
05-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try

Kyle
05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Let us know how it goes

davidstan
05-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Let us know how it goes

Thanks and will do

russlars
05-23-2011, 02:24 PM
And what do you do if the sender has no screws on top? I put in a new one last year and it reads 3/4 when the tank is full.

Kyle
05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
And what do you do if the sender has no screws on top? I put in a new one last year and it reads 3/4 when the tank is full.

Post a pic of your sender. There are several kinds. Some have screws and some dont. Does yours have a float that is inside a tube or a float that is around a sender shaft.

davidstan
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
dont have a pic right now but looking at it this weekend it looks like a rubber tube with computer chips every half inch up inside the tube. Tubes about 9 inches long and as big around as a pencil. Dont see any floats, looks to be hi tech newer type sender. Anyone out there have one like this and had issues?