PDA

View Full Version : Two people I know killed in boating accident near my house...

waterbug
05-23-2011, 10:35 AM
UPDATE SUNDAY 1:30 P.M.: Two killed in boating accident near Alexandria

By: Al Edenloff, Alexandria Echo Press

A day on the lake among friends turned tragic in Alexandria Saturday two were killed in a boating accident on Lake Victoria.

The victims were Nicole Marie Getz, 27, and Mathew Paul Spletzer, 30, both of Alexandria, according to new information released by the Douglas County Sheriff's Office this afternoon.

Four other people in the boat were all transported to the Douglas County Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. They included Michael Robert Harbets, 33, of Alexandria, Tanya Marie Prescott, 29, of Alexandria, James Dylan Holm, 17, of Alexandria, and Travis Ronald Kluver, 26, of Osakis.

Sheriff's deputies responded to a 911 call about the boating accident near the public access at 6:19 p.m.

Whoever was driving the boat apparently lost control of it and struck several docks and boats lifts, along with several trees on shore, before coming to a stop in some additional trees, according to the sheriff's office.

Deputies found three individuals who were ejected from the boat and three others still in the boat.

Getz was pronounced dead at the scene. Spletzer was transported to the hospital where he later died.

The sheriff's office is continuing to investigate the crash, including who was driving the boat.

The 24-foot inboard boat was owned by Harberts and sustained extensive damage.

The sheriff's office was assisted at the scene by the Alexandria Police Department, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the Minnesota State Patrol, North Ambulance, Glacial Ridge Ambulance, Parkers Prairie Ambulance, the Alexandria Fire Department and several citizens.

Keep checking the Echo Press for updates.

waterbug
05-23-2011, 10:37 AM
These were all people I know. On the Chain of Lakes I live on, and right where I sometimes ski. And I can guarantee that drinking was involved.

Be responsible out there.....

east tx skier
05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Sorry to read about this. Be careful everyone.

Kevin@MWMC
05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Saw this on the news the other night. Terrible thing to happen.

chawk610
05-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Wow... horrible thing to have happen. Nice reminder to be a responsible boater...

dtc
05-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Tragic to see a repeat of the sad mentality of "it won't/can't happen to me". Thanks for posting and reminding us all ...

Call it knowledge, wisdom, experience, fear, age, responsibility, et cetera, but due to reading many of these posts and stories over the years, I have all but banned alcohol on our boat. It's for sure a change from the way I grew up on boats, however I don't want anyone having a bad day. To make up for it, I usually sponsor a bbq and drinks after the boat is in the garage!

Hope everyone has a safe & fun season!

ahhudgins
05-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Daaaaaaaang. How in the heck do you hit several docks, boat lifts, trees, and end up in additional trees? Sorry to hear that people lost their life during all of this.

waterbug
05-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Here's a pic and link to the video story:

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/14694576/boating-crash

The boat is a 24 foot "go fast" boat. 70 plus mph top speed. Better suited for Lake Superior or even Minnetonka. Not the small 400 acre lake whare this happened...

thatsmrmastercraft
05-23-2011, 03:14 PM
A tough reminder that boating and drinking should be done separately.

CantRepeat
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
A tough reminder that boating and drinking should be done separately.

Use a DD on the water just like you would on land.

chawk610
05-23-2011, 05:41 PM
He had to have passed out at the wheel going wide open to have done that...

TxsRiverRat
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Sad part is, it wont even begin to serve as an example to others that BUI

chawk610
05-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Prolly right...

barefoot
05-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Tragic, indeed, and so early in the season. Boating can be a lot of fun, but also very dangerous.

jamisonsbrodie
05-25-2011, 10:01 AM
F'n wallys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Small lake and this jackwagon is ripping back and forth?? The driver will be going to jail for a while and his conscience will never be clear.

jamisonsbrodie
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
My guess is that the driver had this thing trimmed out riding bow high, tried to make a tight turn too close to shore and it chine walked on him sending it towards shore.