PDA

View Full Version : Replacement fuel sender issue

ski/hunt
05-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I just replaced my fuel sender on our 96 prostar 205 with a unit from skidim. After running the tank down to below 1/4 tank (never had this ability since I got the boat with the sender not working) I refueled and the float got stuck at a hair above 1/4. After 2+ hours on the lake and traveling home I knew the gauge should have moved some. So I went to fill the tank and still stuck. I have just enough room to remove the screws to the sender but not enough to remove it unless I take the rear end of the seat and arm-rests out and pull the tank toward the front of the boat, not the end of the world but a PITA none the less. So when I removed the screws and shifted the sender a little the float dislodged from it's hang-up and I read full. I know there is a baffle section there and the pick-up and return are there also. So my question is has anyone else had this problem with a replacement sender?? What did you have to adjust in the tank to prevent the hang-up?? I ask cause I know I'm going to have to again get into the tank but thought I might get some direction from you guys before I start the "fun" task:)

Skipper
05-22-2011, 06:05 PM
fuel sending unit (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38453&highlight=sending+unit)

This is what it looks like on the inside of one type of fuel sending unit. Not sure if you have the same style. It is possible that the float got stuck in the tube? Dunno?

JimN
05-22-2011, 06:31 PM
I just replaced my fuel sender on our 96 prostar 205 with a unit from skidim. After running the tank down to below 1/4 tank (never had this ability since I got the boat with the sender not working) I refueled and the float got stuck at a hair above 1/4. After 2+ hours on the lake and traveling home I knew the gauge should have moved some. So I went to fill the tank and still stuck. I have just enough room to remove the screws to the sender but not enough to remove it unless I take the rear end of the seat and arm-rests out and pull the tank toward the front of the boat, not the end of the world but a PITA none the less. So when I removed the screws and shifted the sender a little the float dislodged from it's hang-up and I read full. I know there is a baffle section there and the pick-up and return are there also. So my question is has anyone else had this problem with a replacement sender?? What did you have to adjust in the tank to prevent the hang-up?? I ask cause I know I'm going to have to again get into the tank but thought I might get some direction from you guys before I start the "fun" task:)

Post a photo of the sender you bought. If it has an arm and a pivot, it's not going to work well- the screw hole pattern isn't even and rotating it probably won't work.

ski/hunt
05-22-2011, 08:02 PM
The old one--or original had a float inside a tube and couple magnets that gave indication of where the float was relative to the reading indicator. As many have experienced the magnets came unglued and on mine the float swelled (I blame ethanol) so it didn't work. I had read how to fix here from others but I figured I'd replace with a newer unit since pulling the tank is the only way to completely remove the sender. Jim your correct that the screw hole pattern prevents a rotation, the new unit is just a sealed rod with an external float. I don't think a rotation would do anything. I suspect that there is something in the pick-up or return that is just close enough for the float to get stuck on once my fuel level gets low enough. I have a few beers set aside for an evening this week to tear apart the back seat, arm rests, and the rear wall to pull the tank and see what's in the way. I'll update you all when I figure it out---- might help someone replace the sender and prevent having to get into the tank twice like I'm having to----at least it's a job I can do and the savings from "shop labor" can be spent on BEERS!! I don't drink while driving the boat but I won't work on it without a few "cold ones"!!!

BrianM
05-22-2011, 08:26 PM
I just replaced the sender in my 97 190 with the same one from DIM. So far no problems but I haven't had to refill my tank yet. Call DIM and see what they have to say about it.