PDA

View Full Version : Leaking at prop shaft - any quick fix (?)

91prostar190
05-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Greetings group,

Was making late day ski run yesterday around 8 pm and boat felt sluggish and then auto bilge went to work. Lifted cowl and peered at 4" of H2O in the flase bottom (and growing). Quick trip to ramp and checked for any discharge from engine and or exhaust system while waiting to trailer and every thing was dry as should be. This morning I removed cowl and center/back floor, filled bottom with hose and looked for tell-tell external drainage and found water exiting from area where prop shaft enters hull. Is this an indication that I need to repack the shaft or is there another seal that I should consider? Any advise or direction that may expidite a quick fix, if possible, would possiby allow a chance to get back on the lake today. If repacking is the answer is the only place to pick up new rope at an inboard shop? Would Overton's have it? I have read the instructions supplied by "east tx skier" and feel it's a doable FIY. Thanks for any help.

Jm

JLeuck64
05-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Loosen the jam nut on the packing seal housing then tighten the housing to compress the seal. Re-tighten the jam nut and go skiing... ( ;

Skipper
05-22-2011, 02:51 PM
www.skidim.com offers the packing rope and the newer goretex rope. It is an easy fix.

CMack225vrs
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but I have an issue in the same area and can't find another thread that's close.

I have a 95 Maristar V225 and it leaks around the shaft. I can't keep the big brass nut tight. It has new packing rope and I get it as tight as I can, then tighten the jam nut and head out. After about a half day, the big nut has worked itself all the way off the threads.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thankfully, my bilge works, but I don't like everything (floor boards, carpet, bilge) wet all the time.

east tx skier
07-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Did you stagger the joints in the packing material?

FrankSchwab
07-05-2011, 11:59 PM
It sounds like your jam nut is missing. See here (http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box).

/frank

Skipper
07-07-2011, 12:24 PM
There are two nuts and usually holes in the nuts for lacing wire. The lacing wire would prevent the nuts from loosening.

LittleFuss
03-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Did mine on a Prostar 190 a couple of weeks ago...I am a PB Blaster beleiver now...Easy like pie:cool:

AZX9
03-23-2012, 07:50 PM
I am considering changing mine which I am sure is original and has most likely been leaking. How difficult are these to change?