PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Replacement

MC4SNETS
05-22-2011, 02:28 AM
I have the original glued-in carpet that I would love to replace.....it's just "flattened" I can't think of a better word.....no real stains but not "plush" at all.

2001 Maristar - Tan carpet

Two questions.....maybe three...

1) Can I do snap-in carpet or is the deck ruined once glued-in carpet is done from the factory?

2) How much should I expect to pay to re-carpet?
a) if I replace only the interior floor and not under the seats, etc.?
b) or is it beter to just do a complete carpet?

OK I remembered #3.....

3) Is there any product or service that can revive my dead, "flattened" carpet?

Thanks!

bjw444
05-22-2011, 10:03 AM
i am redoing the carpet in my 2002 xstar. I decided to just order 20oz carpet from overtons. I removed drivers seat then removed carpet in open area( left carpet under seats). I spent 100 shipped for a 6'x10' piece, will have carpet tuesday and will be attempting install myself with a friend.

I would not remove carpet under seats as the carpet it put in before top half of the boat is installed( capet is stuck between 2 pieces of fiberglass)

MC4SNETS
05-23-2011, 12:33 AM
What did the floor look like under the carpet? Could you clean the glue off and go with snap-in carpet?

Jeff d
05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Not a MasterCraft but here's a decent overview of replacing carpet in a Moomba:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787634

mseller
05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
i'm also interested in what the under carpet looked like? i pulled the carpet out of my x45 this weekend and it looks like the bottom of the carpet is melting on to the floor...what's the best stuff to clean stains and this off the fiberglass floor?

broncotw
05-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I had a fishing boat in which I replaced the carpet in..... I had to grind out all of the old glue before I re-cemented the new carpet in... That was several years ago.... I am wondering if there is a product out there which will remove the old glue..... If so, that would save several hours to this project.....

dpolen
05-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Snap in carpet is going to be a much easier project to tackle. I did this to my maristar several years ago and have been thrilled with it. I don't have any pics with me right now on this PC, but if you search on this site for Snap-in, I'm guessing you'll see one of the several pics I've posted of my installation. Under $500 for my boat, best money I've spent on it to-date.

10ptmust
07-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Bump for this thread. I'm considering going to a snap in carpet system on my Maristar as well. dpolen, find those pics?

nmcjr
07-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I just did snap in carpet right over the old stuff. I was worried there would be mold forming, but that hasn't been a problem.

oxberger
07-12-2011, 02:27 PM
I just did snap in carpet right over the old stuff. I was worried there would be mold forming, but that hasn't been a problem.

Do you create the snap in yourself or did you have someone do it for you? I've been thinking about this for my '85 SS and really wasn't looking forward to pulling all the old out and sanding the floors. If you had someone do it for you what did it cost?

nmcjr
07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Do you create the snap in yourself or did you have someone do it for you? I've been thinking about this for my '85 SS and really wasn't looking forward to pulling all the old out and sanding the floors. If you had someone do it for you what did it cost?

I had an upolstery shop do it for me. It was around $300 for the main area and the bow area. If you do have it made, make sure they use some sort of ribbing, like nylon or vinyl around the backside of the border to reinforce where the snaps are attached.