PDA

View Full Version : Un-Bending Bimini Tubing - How?

MC4SNETS
05-22-2011, 01:48 AM
After installing a tower, it's time for a bimini......on the cheap. I was given a bimini top from a friend, a 3-bow top that is 84" wide. Legs are pretty much 90 degrees to the bowed top.

With the new tower, I need to maintain the perfect 84" at the ends but will need to follow the angle of the tower making the top much narrower at the top - rough measurements show the top will be about 64" at the top and 84" at the base where it will mount to the tower hoops.

So I will need to bend the frames outward after cutting and splicing the bows at the upper width. Using the rough measurements above, each side will need to be bent out about 10" (Legs are about 36" tall so that's quite a bit over 36") The legs of the top wil then follow the tower lines as it goes up.

So how to bend the tubing without ruining it? Any ideas?

1redTA
05-22-2011, 06:55 AM
use a pulley mounted in a vise for the radius you want, attach one end and pull the tubing to the new angle you are looking for. If the angle is kinking the tubing, fill it with sand

find someone with a tubing die for the size you need. for example some of my friends are into racing and have a 1" die for bending cages in their race cars

carracer
05-22-2011, 11:31 AM
After installing a tower, it's time for a bimini......on the cheap. I was given a bimini top from a friend, a 3-bow top that is 84" wide. Legs are pretty much 90 degrees to the bowed top.

With the new tower, I need to maintain the perfect 84" at the ends but will need to follow the angle of the tower making the top much narrower at the top - rough measurements show the top will be about 64" at the top and 84" at the base where it will mount to the tower hoops.

So I will need to bend the frames outward after cutting and splicing the bows at the upper width. Using the rough measurements above, each side will need to be bent out about 10" (Legs are about 36" tall so that's quite a bit over 36") The legs of the top wil then follow the tower lines as it goes up.

So how to bend the tubing without ruining it? Any ideas?

Any electrical contractor who bends conduit will be able to help easy. You may even find a do it yourself at lowes.

MC4SNETS
05-25-2011, 11:42 AM
I started working on this last night. I set up a jig to hold the hoop and used a conduit bender to un-bend the tubing. Worked pretty well. I had to move the bender a few times as to not un-bend it all in one place.

You can see in pic #2 the one I bent out compared to one I have not touched.....

M-Funf
05-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice work. So do you need to bend it on the vertical part to make it point straight down again?

MC4SNETS
05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
No, the other way. Needs to bend out to match the angle of the tower. The one that's not 90 degrees is the one I already modifies. The one in the pic that looks like it 90 degrees is unmodified.

M-Funf
05-25-2011, 03:10 PM
No, the other way. Needs to bend out to match the angle of the tower. The one that's not 90 degrees is the one I already modifies. The one in the pic that looks like it 90 degrees is unmodified.

Hmmm...guess I'll have to wait to see the finished product cause I'm not following :confused:
No worries, post pics when you're done...

We're headed to the lake tomorrow AM, you should come out!

02ProstarSammyD
05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Best bet is to find a wall or something to have a friend brace the top straight side on and bend it laying down with the bender flat against the ground. Either that or have a fat buddy put weight on it. Go very slowly and don't start/stop/resituate or you'll kink it. It should bend fairly easily but by laying it down on the ground you'll almost eliminate the possibility of dog earing it.

MC4SNETS
05-25-2011, 03:31 PM
We're headed to the lake tomorrow AM, you should come out!

Love to.....I gotta work though....Hopefully it won't be raining! Have fun.

M-Funf
05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Love to.....I gotta work though....Hopefully it won't be raining! Have fun.

Work, work, work...:(

Shouldn't be raining tomorrow...I hope.