PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about prop

nickespi
05-21-2011, 11:54 PM
I was putting my new prop back on and while I was tightening it down, the shaft began to spin once I got it tight to a certain point. Should the shaft be able to spin? It didn't spin when I was taking the old prop off. Thanks

east tx skier
05-22-2011, 12:05 AM
It should turn without much effort. Wedge a 2x4 in between one prop blade and the ground so you can properly tighten the prop nut.

nickespi
05-22-2011, 12:06 AM
That's what I figured. Thanks for the help.

willyt
05-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Initial read seemed to indicate that your shaft isn't spinning very freely... That true? I can spin my shaft with 1 finger pushing on the prop (add inappropriate joke) haha.

nickespi
05-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Initial read seemed to indicate that your shaft isn't spinning very freely... That true? I can spin my shaft with 1 finger pushing on the prop (add inappropriate joke) haha.

Definitely takes more than a finger to get my shaft spinning...take it as you will.

Kyle
05-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Check the alignment through the bottom of the boat. Look at the strut and the bushings if worn. If it's not lined up it will be tight.

Your shaft packing may be too tight as well. Try looking at the alignment first. Maybe something needs to be tweaked a little.

A shaft that is hard to turn may cause damage to bearings in the tail shaft of the tranny or wear out bushings fast.

Thrall
05-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes it should spin. Easy 1 finger spin indicates that the strut bushing is getting worn. Ideally there should be some resistance.