PDA

View Full Version : Help me not blow up my boat...bogging & no bag fill

02ProstarSammyD
05-21-2011, 09:34 PM
So Im at the breaking point of blowing up my boat. Bought in march and this thing has been a pos. Have replaced the starter, steering cable, battery, rewired the battery setup and about 20 bad connections. Have spent every weekend fixing something and just ready for a nice non eventful memorial day. The boat is an 02 prostar 209 with a merc mag tow sport

1st problem: bought new sacs since the only ones had tears. Hit the fill and donuts. Can hear the pumps but just start filling with air. No water at all. Checked and the system is open. Any ideas? I tried hitting fill at various speeds.

2nd problem. THis is my major pain. Randomly you will get into the throttle hard and it just bogs down and starts to slow down. Sometimes I can pump the throttle and it will come out hard before it completely slows. The gas is maybe a month old. I can cruise around and maybe have it happen 1 or 2x but it I try to pull someone its 80% of the time. No check engine light or beep........just starts to bog. Any ideas? Maybe change fuel filters?

G-Star
05-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure how your ballast is plumbed, but the solution to problem #1 could be to replace the check valves on the vent line(s) of your ballast. If the check valve isn't sealing 100% the pump will draw air from the vent line rather than water from the thru-hull fitting. Do you have a plastic ballast manifold with water intake, pump suction, and vent lines coming off of it?

As for your 2nd problem, I'm not familiar with your engine, but some things to check might be: spark plugs, spark plug wires & connections, fuel filter (water separator?), fuel pump, coil packs, and injectors. Could be as simple as water in your fuel. Could be as complicated as a fried ECM.

My thoughts...

G-Star
05-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Errrr... previous post is of course assuming your engine is EFI :)

02ProstarSammyD
05-22-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure how your ballast is plumbed, but the solution to problem #1 could be to replace the check valves on the vent line(s) of your ballast. If the check valve isn't sealing 100% the pump will draw air from the vent line rather than water from the thru-hull fitting. Do you have a plastic ballast manifold with water intake, pump suction, and vent lines coming off of it?
Yep and 2 jabsco pumps

and yes the engine is efi. We had a drain plug miscommunication first run of the season and the fuel is the same. Not sure if water could have gotten in the tank or not since it wasn't much water. Just seems weird to me that it would only be on hard hard acceleration.

snork
05-22-2011, 11:08 AM
sounds like a major tune up is in store

JLeuck64
05-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Absolutely start with the fuel filter. If it continues beyond that check fuel pressure during the same conditions.

Scott S
05-22-2011, 11:59 AM
sounds like a fuel pump is going bad

G-Star
05-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Yep and 2 jabsco pumps

and yes the engine is efi. We had a drain plug miscommunication first run of the season and the fuel is the same. Not sure if water could have gotten in the tank or not since it wasn't much water. Just seems weird to me that it would only be on hard hard acceleration.

Take a look at the check valves in the vent line(s). Mine were the flapper-type, and after a while they just don't seal 100% anymore. Replacements are pretty cheap. I went with brass units.

If your engine is only having troubles on hard acceleration, it does sound like a fuel starvation issue under high demand. Check the filter, and then test fuel pressure, as JLeuk64 has already said.

BTW, I like the term "drain plug miscommunication" :D

G-Star
05-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Oh, it's probably worth pulling the cover plates off your Jabsco ballast pumps and having a look at the impellers. If they're the original black material, or even if they're worn yellow ones, you'll probably want to upgrade to the green impellers.

02ProstarSammyD
05-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm gonna change the fuel filter asap. Whats a good way to tell if you have any water in the gas? I'm at about 3/4" of a tank that I started the season on so would like to find out before I dump 30 gallons of fuel out lol.

BTW, I like the term "drain plug miscommunication"
I didn't haha and my passengers were freaking! We however have renamed the boat "unplugged"

02ProstarSammyD
05-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Pulled the covers and the impellers were fine. Filled both bags with water via hose and they pumped out fine. Hopefully this has gotten them primed and all is well. Gonna try em out on the lake monday.

Think I found the prob (knock on wood) with the fuel prob. Found a kinked line in the tank and also the whole black tube was broken off the pump assembly. Gonna pull the pump tonight and see if its repairable

G-Star
05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Pulled the covers and the impellers were fine. Filled both bags with water via hose and they pumped out fine. Hopefully this has gotten them primed and all is well. Gonna try em out on the lake monday.

Think I found the prob (knock on wood) with the fuel prob. Found a kinked line in the tank and also the whole black tube was broken off the pump assembly. Gonna pull the pump tonight and see if its repairable

Were the impellers black, yellow, or green?

If the check valves on your drain lines are toast, the bags will still pump out ok, but they won't fill worth a rip. The pump will run, but it will make lots of gurgling sounds and pretty much just blow bubbles into the bag.

02ProstarSammyD
05-26-2011, 04:38 PM
black impellers

MCVOLS
05-26-2011, 05:03 PM
may not be your issue, but as stated earlier, black impellers were first, then went to yellow, and now green seems to be the ones to have.

UrbantuxTN
05-26-2011, 05:17 PM
may not be your issue, but as stated earlier, black impellers were first, then went to yellow, and now green seems to be the ones to have.

I have seen the mention of Green Impellers everywhere, I haven't looked but should I assume that the factory impellers on my 2011 are not the green? To pull / check do I just pull the flat cover off the pumps?

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

G-Star
05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
black impellers

Yeah, black ones should go. Old black impellers could be the reason you're not getting good "pull" from your pumps. Put in a new set of green ones for best performance.

G-Star
05-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I have seen the mention of Green Impellers everywhere, I haven't looked but should I assume that the factory impellers on my 2011 are not the green? To pull / check do I just pull the flat cover off the pumps?

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

Not sure if they'd be the green guys or not. Just take out the 3 brass screws and pop the cover plate to have a look.

scott023
05-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Change the fuel filter first, if that's not the problem, check the fuel pump.

02ProstarSammyD
05-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Changed the fuel filter, dist cap, and checked the tank for water. got it start for half a sec then nothing. Now she wont crank period. Checking the batteries and praying I just ran em down running the ballast pumps the other day.

FML had 8 people going out monday and Im headed out of town until sunday. Seriously I wish to blow the hell out of this boat sometimes

nmcjr
05-27-2011, 03:03 AM
My best guess is fuel pump-get a fuel pressure gauge and test it, they're cheap.

I'd also suggest testing the check valves, I'm with G-Star and can almost guarantee there is a bad check valve on one or both of the drain thru hulls. I would be very surprised if it was just a matter of getting the system primed.

02ProstarSammyD
05-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Fuel pump is shot. Picked up a new fuel pump but they gave me the wrong one. This is an electric merc 350 non tank pump. Basically they gave me exactly what I have except one end doesn't have female threads. Is there a way to press a threaded insert or something in there. I attached a pic below. The right hand "nipple" has no threads on the inside. My old one did so no idea how to hook it up. If anyone has any advice Im trying to get on the water monday and the merc place is closed now.
http://www.carolinaboatoutfitters.com/catalog/images/6216982.jpg

Jim@BAWS
05-28-2011, 06:15 PM
"The boat is an 02 prostar 209 with a merc mag tow sport"

MasterCraft did not use this engine package!!! What is the history on this boat??? Did in come out of Disney World. That is a serious question as Sammy Duvals Ski School at Disney was required to run Merccrusiers because Disney had a contract with Brunswick

This could get interesting... I am in agreement with FUEL FILTER on the bottom of the tank and fuel pressure at the pump

Jim@BAWS

JLeuck64
05-28-2011, 06:44 PM
You will need a bottoming tap to match the fitting on your fuel line to cut new threads in the pump outlet.

02ProstarSammyD
06-22-2011, 07:08 PM
And the verdict is in. Finally got my appt at the local guru in. Around 9:30 he calls to ask if I'm sitting down

Evidently the mech who put the merc engine in was not very bright. They installed an electric fuel pump and removed the in tank unit so the boat was basically starving for fuel and going into protection mode. Well they hooked everything up with 1/4" tubing to get out. It was kinked and way below the size I need. He's creating a custom cover unit to replace the original and feed a decent sized fuel line into it.

Overall I'm knocking on wood that this is the only problem but he said he ran through everything else and didn't see any probs.......and the cost isn't bad at all so I'm way happier than when I was expecting a bad fuel pump.