PDA

View Full Version : Mixing transmission oil?

jdhart73
05-21-2011, 02:12 AM
So I could only get about 1 1/4 quarts out of my transmission with my pump. My boat has the Pennzoil 15w40 which I could not find anywhere so I have the Rotella T 15w40. Can I just put back in the 1 1/4 quart of Rotella or would there be an issue with mixing whats left in their of the Pennzoil with the Rotella? Same weight...different oil, just curious?

Thanks,
Jake

Kyle
05-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Run the rotella for 5 to 10 hours. Get tranny warm and change it again. Replace with rotella after the second drain. Then it should be fine. I would be concerned with not draining all the old fluid and crap left in the system not mixing brands. Getting fresh fluid in running it then re flushing will insure cleaner fluid for the long term. There is a magnet that is really dirty and the only way to clean it is tear apart the transmission. Flush twice and you will be fine. As far as fill level add what you took out and warm up the tranny and re check level on stick. Just because 1.5 came out doesn't mean it was full or a little low to begin with.

jdhart73
05-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Thanks Kyle, appreciate the advice!

Kyle
05-21-2011, 02:54 AM
I put transmission dextron i believe type f or type 3. I have the shop manual and owners manual in my tool box. Mine called for trans fluid not oil. What tranny do you have?

jdhart73
05-21-2011, 09:27 AM
V-drive. Manual says motor oil. I believe they switched to motor oil
for noise issues on a period of years and trannies.

carracer
05-21-2011, 09:32 AM
So I could only get about 1 1/4 quarts out of my transmission with my pump. My boat has the Pennzoil 15w40 which I could not find anywhere so I have the Rotella T 15w40. Can I just put back in the 1 1/4 quart of Rotella or would there be an issue with mixing whats left in their of the Pennzoil with the Rotella? Same weight...different oil, just curious?

Thanks,
Jake

does your boat have a transmission oil filter, if so it needs to be changed and that would be a great time to vacuum remaining oil.

Thrall
05-21-2011, 11:53 AM
jdh,
Yes mixing the 2 oils will not hurt a thing.
What did the old oil look like coming out? Was it noticably dirty or anything?
If it wasn't dirty, just exhange oil one more time maybe like Kyle suggested and call it good.
Regarding the filter, it's very easy to replace, but they're not cheap. Like $79 on Skidim! (good thing I got a buddy that works for ZF.....$20 a piece)
Mfr reccomendation is 100hr change interval on the filter. Between a dealer that I trust and from the engineer at ZF, 100hr change is overkill unless there's another problem that causes the oil to get contaminated.
Probably be good to change the filter nwo so tha you ahve a baseline and then I plan on going 200hrs or so on filter changes. Oil will still get swapped every year 50hrs maybe.
I changed my filter last fall at 100hrs on the boat and it looked brand new still, as did the oil.
Also, you can get alot more than 1.25qts of oil out of the trans. Can't remember exactly but I know I got well over 2qts out using a drill motor operated pump and a 3/8" hose connected to the suction end. I was able to fish that hose down to the bottom of the trans thru the dipstick hole.
FOr an engine oil and trans oil change 3 gal of 15W40 works out about just perfect, maybe 1/2 qt left over.

jdhart73
05-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Thrall thanks man! Any tips on location the trans filter and how to remove? I've never even looked for one to be honest?

Jake

jdhart73
05-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Oh and the oil looked a bit dirty coming out. Not black but dark like molasses.

Thrall
05-21-2011, 12:08 PM
It's on the top front port side of the trans. Don't remember if it has a T handle, maybe just a nut on the top. Cap is about 2" dia and it's a rubber expansion plug type cap. My cap was a little difficult getting off the first time, took some gentle prying. Filter is right under it, just pull the filter out by hand.

Thrall
05-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Oh and the oil looked a bit dirty coming out. Not black but dark like molasses.

I'd try to echange the oil again. Sounds like the oil has some hrs on it. At 50hrs, the oil in mine was barely discernable from new. Use a smaller hose to suck the oil out that you can get down farther into the trans.

jdhart73
05-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Will do. I went ahead and picked up a transmission filter also.
I have no idea if mine has ever been changed.