PDA

View Full Version : Changing the oil in the Spring

DeVrieski
05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Hello all,

I changed my oil and filter last fall when I winterized the boat. In previous years I have changed the oil again in the spring, but thought I saw somewhere on TT where members don't change it again in the Spring when de-winterizing. Any advice? Does the oil breakdown over the course of the winter even though it hasn't been used at all?

Thanks in advance!

DeVrieski
05-20-2011, 11:32 AM
One more question: Does anyone know what the exact oil capacity is in the 310 HP? Manual says 4-5 qt. - does that mean 4 1/2 or does it really vary 1 full qt?

beef
05-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I change my oil as part of the Winterization, and just run it in the spring. Mine usually takes a little over 4.5 qts to be on the full mark.

hkallestad
05-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Change it when winterizing only. Changing it again when spring comes is overkill, waste of oil and money;-)

Table Rocker
05-20-2011, 02:00 PM
The oil will not break down over the winter any more than it would break down in a plastic bottle on the shelf at the store, which is not at all. You will get some moisture in the oil from all the condensation that results from the warming and cooling of the engine during the off season. Once you get the engine up to operating temps, the water content should boil off.

I would certainly consider it overkill to change after and before the season, but hey some people like to wear a belt with suspenders. For those folks, you can't be too careful and you certainly can't say it is a bad move other than financially.

The bigger debate is "Do I change the oil at the end of the season to get the contaminants out ASAP, or do I wait until spring and get the condensation out with the dirty oil."

DeVrieski
05-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks all! I think I will just plan on running it. What about Tranny oil? Do you change it once a year?

woobiedmd
05-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I believe most manuals say 100hrs, but I change it once a season with the engine oil. It's inexpensive to do and can't hurt!

tburriss
05-20-2011, 10:57 PM
This question may seem unusal but I can't seem to find it anywhere. What type of oil does mastercraft recommend for their boats? I've always ran 20W-50 racing oil. Last year after having some work done at the dealer I just went ahead and had them change the oil. The paperwork they gave me had 20W-50 listed in the parts description section. This is oil for diesel engines. Once agian does anyone know what Mastercraft recommends? Thanks.

FrankSchwab
05-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Indmar (who marinized the engine in your boat) recommends (http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/faq.html#2.4) 15w-40. This particular weight is normally marketed as a Diesel oil. Delo or Rotella-T are very popular on here; Pennzoil is what Indmar recommends. There are also a number of gourmet oil aficionados running various synthetics in various price ranges.

DeVrieski
05-21-2011, 01:37 AM
I downloaded a manual from the mastercraft site. In the manual it had a specific weight and viscosity rating for the oil. Here is a link:

http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/2000_OwnersManual-PS190-PS195-PS205-PS205V-XStar-X5-Hang10-Sportstar19-SammyDuvall.pdf

I believe you will find it on page 70.

I used a high end racing oil that met the 15W-40 CG-4SJ rating.

uncleboo
05-22-2011, 01:22 AM
This question may seem unusal but I can't seem to find it anywhere. What type of oil does mastercraft recommend for their boats? I've always ran 20W-50 racing oil. Last year after having some work done at the dealer I just went ahead and had them change the oil. The paperwork they gave me had 20W-50 listed in the parts description section. This is oil for diesel engines. Once agian does anyone know what Mastercraft recommends? Thanks.

The LT1 calls for 20w50. I typically pick up the big jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic at Wal-Mart or I can usually find it at the auto parts store. However, last change I did have to check two different stores for the correct weight.