PDA

View Full Version : X Star ballast setup

mrhays9
05-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I am heading to the local wake shop and wanted to seek some advice. I am currently running an extra 800 in the stern two bags in the lockers. Wake isn't what I want it to be and the surf wake sweet spot is tiny. Any suggestions on two different setups one for surf and the other to sink the boat for wakeboarding. Not looking to plumb anything in because the added time. I am thinking about tsunami pumps for feeling the bags.

Jerseydave
05-19-2011, 09:00 PM
My version "05 X-star wakeboard setup (2000# ballast is all I need)

I eliminated the rear hard tanks, and plumbed in (2) 400# sacs in rear lockers
Fill KGB tank
750# sac in walkway

Usually that's all we need, no one sits in the bow (except lightweight bikini-clad women)
4-6 people in cockpit

For surfing:

750# sac port side locker, 400# sac on port side seat, fill KGB tank, everyone sits on the port side of the boat (and try 1-2 people in bow portside too)
The sweet spot is still pretty close to the swim platform, but with an X-star it's hard to make a long "pocket"

vision
05-19-2011, 10:13 PM
My version "05 X-star wakeboard setup (2000# ballast is all I need)

I eliminated the rear hard tanks, and plumbed in (2) 400# sacs in rear lockers
Fill KGB tank
750# sac in walkway

Usually that's all we need, no one sits in the bow (except lightweight bikini-clad women)
4-6 people in cockpit

For surfing:

750# sac port side locker, 400# sac on port side seat, fill KGB tank, everyone sits on the port side of the boat (and try 1-2 people in bow portside too)
The sweet spot is still pretty close to the swim platform, but with an X-star it's hard to make a long "pocket"

Our set up is quite similar. We do not use the built in rear tanks. We are running the KGB full, about 600 more in sacs up front/center, and about 500 in each rear locker.

Try slowing down to lengthen your port side surf wave. We run 9.5 mph port, and around 12 mph starboard.

mrhays9
05-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Odd. Both of you have eliminated the rear hard tank ballast. What are your reasons for this? With what y'all are saying i could get away with just adding a 750 sack to the setup. And not filing the rear hard tanks?

vision
05-19-2011, 11:20 PM
The ballast in the built in tanks is center forward compared to the sacs. I find it easier to achieve the wake shape I want using only the sacs in the locker and not the rear tanks. Easier to tweak the wake as well when the rear tanks are empty and you just use the rear sacs. To look at it another way, filling the built in rear tanks on top of what we run now does not appreciably improve the wake. I realize that does not seem to make sense, but we have looked at many combinations and this gives us the wake we want.

I would pick up two sacs for under your front seats. Try filling your rear locker ballast, leave the rear tanks empty, fill the KGB, and add about 200 - 250 under each front seat. When you surf, empty the contralateral rear sac, and place the contralateral front sac on the main cabin seat of the surf side.

mrhays9
05-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Sounds like a great plan. What speed are you running when wakeboarding?

Jerseydave
05-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Odd. Both of you have eliminated the rear hard tank ballast. What are your reasons for this? With what y'all are saying i could get away with just adding a 750 sack to the setup. And not filing the rear hard tanks?

I took this advise from Mike @ Mastercraft of Charlotte.....and he pulls his wife who is was a pro rider.

Jerseydave
05-20-2011, 08:20 AM

We run anywhere from 22.5 to 24 mph depending on what the rider wants.
If I teach someone new or if I want to just take a slower set then no ballast.
The boat reacts better if the weight is in the rear corners, not under the center seats (where the hard tanks are). MC put those tanks there because of the cutouts in the hull.

jason95gt
05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
The surf wake on the Star is not good at all. It will always be close to the platform and a small pocket. If you want a great surf and wakeboard wake, upgrade to a X-25 or even a X-15.

vision
05-20-2011, 11:40 AM

I am old and slow so I ride at 22 on a short line, around 63 feet. My son rides around 23.5 at 70 - 73 feet.

Ole Miss Rebels
05-20-2011, 02:44 PM
surfing an xstar as per travis moye: fill all thrree stock tanks to sink the boat evenly. then, fill two of the pro x - fly high bags, 800 lbs in the rear and 400 lbs in the front on the side you are surfing. then, another 250-300 lb. sack in the bow walkway, then everyone in the boat over to the side you are surfing on. his formula starts with all stock ballast filled to sink the boat evenly first before you start to tilt the boat over with the sacks on the surf-side.