PDA

View Full Version : Prop Nut

nickespi
05-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Any suggestions for somewhere to pick up a new nylock prop nut? I think I've seen them for $16, but that seems quite high for a nut...

FlatBoard
05-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Take the original with you to the local hardware store and you will find one for much less

CantRepeat
05-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Take the original with you to the local hardware store and you will find one for much less

Yup, Home Depot sometimes has the larger SS nylock nuts.

nickespi
05-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks, just can't bring myself to pay $16 for a nut...

JimN
05-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks, just can't bring myself to pay $16 for a nut...

You could always find a really cheap POS but you'd probably need to be towed back to the dock.

nickespi
05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
You could always find a really cheap POS but you'd probably need to be towed back to the dock.

You may have missed the undertone of that post.

CantRepeat
05-20-2011, 07:51 AM

I didn't know SS came in the POS form factor and $16 bucks for nut doesn't sound cheap unless you are on Hollywood Blvd.

EJ OJPROP
05-20-2011, 07:55 AM
We have the brass nylocks in stock. Would not suggest a SS nut on the SS shaft.

CantRepeat
05-20-2011, 08:16 AM
We have the brass nylocks in stock. Would not suggest a SS nut on the SS shaft.

Eric, why is that and what is the cost of your nuts? lol

JimN
05-20-2011, 08:20 AM
I didn't know SS came in the POS form factor and $16 bucks for nut doesn't sound cheap unless you are on Hollywood Blvd.

Considering all of the variations of different metals and where most of the goods sold in the US come from, calling it 'stainless' may be correct from the standpoint of having a bit of nickel in it but cheap stainless does rust. I would go for a bronze nut, not stainless.

Dissimilar metals won't fuse together as easily. That's why props have traditionally been bronze on stainless shaft.

Does anyone remember how much a prop nut cost in 2000? I just checked using an inflation calculator and $16 now would have been $12.75 then, which isn't far from what I remember for a prop nut's price. No, it's not cheap but if it fuses to the shaft or the nylon ring fails, a few bucks more is cheap insurance.

OTOH, considering all of the people here who spent hundreds of dollars on parts instead of taking it to someone who actually knows how to troubleshoot when they had a relatively simple problem, $16 sounds pretty cheap.

JimN
05-20-2011, 08:23 AM
You may have missed the undertone of that post.

Twenty bucks, just like downtown?

Ben
05-20-2011, 08:25 AM
stainless nut will bind on stainless shaft. Not sure why, but I have seen it 1st hand when a shop did that to me. It didn't go on all the way, and had to cut it off. new shaft.

CantRepeat
05-20-2011, 08:35 AM
stainless nut will bind on stainless shaft. Not sure why, but I have seen it 1st hand when a shop did that to me. It didn't go on all the way, and had to cut it off. new shaft.

DOH! Not a good outcome.

Yellow X9
05-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Considering all of the variations of different metals and where most of the goods sold in the US come from, calling it 'stainless' may be correct from the standpoint of having a bit of nickel in it but cheap stainless does rust. I would go for a bronze nut, not stainless.

Dissimilar metals won't fuse together as easily. That's why props have traditionally been bronze on stainless shaft.

Does anyone remember how much a prop nut cost in 2000? I just checked using an inflation calculator and $16 now would have been $12.75 then, which isn't far from what I remember for a prop nut's price. No, it's not cheap but if it fuses to the shaft or the nylon ring fails, a few bucks more is cheap insurance.

OTOH, considering all of the people here who spent hundreds of dollars on parts instead of taking it to someone who actually knows how to troubleshoot when they had a relatively simple problem, $16 sounds pretty cheap.- Amen......

corey
05-20-2011, 09:16 AM
We sell them for $13.90, the coupon code welcome will save you 10% and there is free shipping if the order total is over $99 http://www.waterskis.com/Prop-Nut-For-Inboard-Boats-p/1_1-fslash-8_prop_nut.htm

EJ OJPROP
05-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Eric, why is that and what is the cost of your nuts? lol

A stainless nut can cut the threads of the shaft, not good. My nuts?????? Prop nuts retail for $9.50.

CantRepeat
05-20-2011, 10:29 AM
A stainless nut can cut the threads of the shaft, not good. My nuts?????? Prop nuts retail for $9.50.

Great price!!

nickespi
05-20-2011, 02:25 PM
We sell them for $13.90, the coupon code welcome will save you 10% and there is free shipping if the order total is over $99 http://www.waterskis.com/Prop-Nut-For-Inboard-Boats-p/1_1-fslash-8_prop_nut.htm

Ordered a few things this morning. Wish I would have known about that coupon code. I ended up buying a new handle and mainline.