PDA

View Full Version : Help - is this a big issue or not

davomaddo
05-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry if I don't have the terminalogy right.
I assume I need my dealer to fix this. I am wondering if anyone can help me know if this is a major repair and if you know why this happened.
I have a X15 2009 Salt Water Series with closed cooling.

There is a crack in what I think is the muffler. I have attached pictures below. I believe it is fiberglass.
Water only leaks when the boat is in the water. When I run the boat hooked to the garden hose, it doesn't seem to leak..

Below is a general picture of the area. The crack is actually hidden from this view, but I circled the area it is;

Below is a close up of the crack. The crack is about an inch long:

Here is another picture.

Thanks for the help.
I will take the boat in to the deal, but it would be nice to know how complicated this problem is to fix and what why it occured.

wakecumberland
05-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Looks like part of the muffler to me. I believe those are fiberglass, so it should be an ez repair. But I've been wrong before :)

davomaddo
05-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Yes, it isn't metal - most likely fiberglass.
Any clue why it would have cracked?

bturner2
05-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Based on where It's located (on a seam) looks to be either a manufacturer defect or freeze damage. Based the time of season I'd say it's more likely the later. I don't know what these mufflers look line internally and if there could be any internal damage but to fix just the crack I would give Marine Tex or Fiberglass a shot. If I were going to try to fix it I'd use a Dremel or die grinder to open up / clean out the crack and then fill it with Marine Tex.

http://www.marinetex.com/

davomaddo
05-20-2011, 08:55 AM
I took it in and it is a cracked muffler. It should only be about 2 hours to replace and $200-$400 to either recondition professionally and tested or buy a new one.

Kingsley X-1
05-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Based on where It's located (on a seam) looks to be either a manufacturer defect or freeze damage. Based the time of season I'd say it's more likely the later. I don't know what these mufflers look line internally and if there could be any internal damage but to fix just the crack I would give Marine Tex or Fiberglass a shot. If I were going to try to fix it I'd use a Dremel or die grinder to open up / clean out the crack and then fill it with Marine Tex.

http://www.marinetex.com/

that is what i would do and then hit it with a bit of flat black spray paint...you would never know it even happened.

Kyle
05-20-2011, 10:00 AM
X2 on self repair.

Fiberglass resin with some kitty hair. Sand area first then lay kitty hair or woven fiberglass around muffler, then apply resin. Sand any runs out and paint. Its a quick $30 fix that will be permanent.