PDA

View Full Version : Need Help And Answers Asap!!!

shocker47
05-18-2011, 06:57 PM
hey guys. well i'm going to be taking my boat out tomorrow and driving it up north about 40 miles. And i was wondering where i can get a vehicle to tow my boat? i have a 94 mc prostar 205. what is the weight with the boat and trailer? and i was looking at u haul and they didn't have a clue. I need answers fast guys!

thanks.

Miss Rita
05-18-2011, 07:13 PM
most any half ton pickup with a v8 should haul your boat without a problem.

shocker47
05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
where can i rent one is what i'm asking..

gotta_ski
05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't have the complete info, but the 98' 205 weighs 2690 lbs empty. Figure yours is right around there, maybe a touch less. I don't know what the trailer weighs, but my guess is not over 1000 lbs. If you tell them you need to haul 4000 to 4500 lbs I think you'd be safe. Maybe even 5000 if you want to load the boat with gear. Check your trailer plate for the max loading and make sure you've not overloading the trailer.

I know dollar rent-a-car where I live rents trucks and suburbans with hitches, I would guess the other guys do to. Good luck!

Huskie05
05-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Home Depot? They rent trucks...

pmkkdx
05-18-2011, 08:27 PM
any of the national rental car places (hertz, budget, avis, etc.) should have something suitable to tow ... i.e., Suburban, Tahoe, etc. in that size range with a hitch. Boat, trailer and gear in the 4000-4500 lbs range unless you are really loading it down. We have a '11 4runner that pulls our '04 X2 which should be comparable ... I wouldn't want to go cross country mind you, but an hour or so drive being careful wouldn't be bad. I use one of our 2500 Dodge cummins for any farther distances.

hopefully you have a surge brake (not electric) on the trailer where you don't need a controller/wiring in the tow vehicle???

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Enterprise has nissan titans for rent

Ben
05-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I use our odyssey minvan to tow short distances (10 miles or so) twice a year, same boat. It does fine. Rated at 3500 lbs, which is probably close. Agree for 2690 for boat + maybe 800 for trailer. I think anything minivan or SUV size or bigger should be fine for a short tow. If you have not towed it much, I'd be more worried about ensuring the hubs / bearings have grease, and the tires are in decent shape and have correct air (50 psi cold for me) pressure.

Some rental places discourage tow use, so you should either ask the question, or validate the hitch is there and not disabled, or tamper proofed by them prior to signing up to fork over some dough.

Smaller vehicles will have longer stopping distances.

Let the bashing begin, since I'm not towing with a giant diesel truck... (Although I did for a few years when I towed 40+ times a year).

Huskie05
05-18-2011, 09:03 PM
I use our odyssey minvan to tow short distances (10 miles or so) twice a year, same boat. It does fine. Rated at 3500 lbs, which is probably close. Agree for 2690 for boat + maybe 800 for trailer. I think anything minivan or SUV size or bigger should be fine for a short tow. If you have not towed it much, I'd be more worried about ensuring the hubs / bearings have grease, and the tires are in decent shape and have correct air (50 psi cold for me) pressure.

Some rental places discourage tow use, so you should either ask the question, or validate the hitch is there and not disabled, or tamper proofed by them prior to signing up to fork over some dough.

Smaller vehicles will have longer stopping distances.

Let the bashing begin, since I'm not towing with a giant diesel truck... (Although I did for a few years when I towed 40+ times a year).

What are you thinking!!!! You are towing with a minivan!!!!!????

Just teasing, I'm sure you know what you're doing... but go buy a diesel! I tow a big boat in the mountains, need the diesel...

Thrall
05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Just so you know, I have yet to see a rental place except for equipment rentals like Hertz Equipment or United Rentals, etc that will allow you to tow with their vehicle. Not that it can't be done, but make sure it has a receiver in the back before you rent it or at least a pickup with a bumper ball mount although a bumper hitch will be considerably too high....dragging the prop guard.
If you pull it with a normal rental, Avis Budget, etc, make sur you don't get in an accident because they won't cover it.
Uhaul rents 1/2 ton pickups as well. I'm pretty sure they won't let you tow your own trailer with them wither, but what they don't know can't hurt them!

shocker47
05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
my friend has a nissan quest.. with a hitch. can it be towed 40 miles and about 20 of those miles on highway? also can i launch the boat with this car?

Huskie05
05-18-2011, 10:00 PM
my friend has a nissan quest.. with a hitch. can it be towed 40 miles and about 20 of those miles on highway? also can i launch the boat with this car?

I am sure it can, but will look like hell... How steep is the ramp? Goodluck.

shocker47
05-18-2011, 10:35 PM
well its pretty sloped. i think i will just say the 10$ for them to put it in. but the van can pull my mc up to the launch right?

Huskie05
05-18-2011, 10:57 PM
well its pretty sloped. i think i will just say the 10$ for them to put it in. but the van can pull my mc up to the launch right?

I am sure it will, but would not want to do a lot.

Miss Rita
05-19-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm wondering how you got this far into your boat-owning career without figuring out how to get your boat to the lake.

bturner2
05-19-2011, 07:29 AM
I heard the same thing that Thrall is saying. I've been told that it's specifically stated in the rental agreement that you can not tow with it.

About 10 years ago I was considering getting rid of the truck and just renting something for the 2 or 3 time a year that I needed one. Finding something to rent that was insured was difficult to say the least. So much so that I ended up keeping truck.

I known a couple guys that have rented large SUVs for vacation and have gotten away with it but the down side for me is just too risky. I'd check with home depot and see what they're policy is with one of those rental pickups they offer.

blakehardesty
05-19-2011, 07:40 AM
I tow my boats with a 1 ton chevy express van. Next time I hook up i need a pic for the tow rig thread. You want to talk about funny looking. But it tows like a dream.

Ben
05-19-2011, 07:44 AM

I would think you would be fine, you could check to see what the van is rated at and what they recommend for a "towing package". Honda recommends power steering cooler and trans cooler. I have neither, but don't tow far. Likely both are more important where you are into grades, especially for long distances / durations, which I am not anyway.

Also important would be brakes. When I had 1/2 ton and eventually 1 ton pickup, I wasn't so worried. With a small vehicle like a van, trailer brakes would become more important. Do yours work?

One nice thing about the van is how manueverable it is vs. long truck.

I use the van to put in / out at ramp as well. I would consider it average steepness with a decent grade up and down to the ramp area.

TN X-45
05-19-2011, 08:00 AM
If you have a "Triangle Rental" near you - they allow towing with their trucks. They have pick ups and large SUVs. IIRC they are about $60/day.

bturner2
05-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Typically it's not so much HP or if the vehicle will pull the trailer but more if it will stop it and support the weight of the trailer. Most non trucks out there today are uni body construction that have no frame or real bumper to attach a trailer hitch to. The mount points for the hitch are typically areas where there is two or three layers of sheet metal.

Short term pulling on level surfaces I think you'll be fine. Putting your mini van in a high stress situation like pulling out of a steep ramp certainly won't be good for it.

JohnE
05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm wondering how you got this far into your boat-owning career without figuring out how to get your boat to the lake.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems odd to have a boat that is ready to go to the lake and have no idea how to get it there.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Maximum towing capacity of a quest van is 3500 lbs with a class II hitch, so based on that you will be at the limit of the van and "should" be fine, definatly need to watch stopping distances though... Nissan recommends not to use cruise control and not to use overdrive while towing with this van.

CantRepeat
05-19-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm going with answer F Chuck, phone a "friend".

pmkkdx
05-19-2011, 09:25 AM
please take a picture and post! :cool: