PDA

View Full Version : Depth Gauge

UofU2727
05-18-2011, 11:02 AM
I've searched for a previous thread and couldn't find anything. I'm running the boat on the Potomac River, it's shallow in alot of places/rocks, other than a narrow deep channel it needs to stay in behind the house. I need some pictures/idea's. I'm trying to put in a nice depth/temp gauge. Can't seem to find or know which ones work the best (overtons/skidim?). I was trying to avoid one of the big fishing dash mounted ones at all costs. I would rather have one that fits into the instrument dash. Does anyone have one like that so I could see how it looks on a 84 S&S?

BriEOD
05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Run a search for Faria depth finders. Those will meet your stated need. You'll have to epoxy a "puck" into the bilge. It is a thru hull transducer. I've seen joint depth and temperature ones. But, I think you'll have to drill thru the hull or transom to get a sensor into the water. If your gun shy about drilling you might want to stick with a solely depth finder. Run a search on here as there are many depth finder threads.

TxsRiverRat
05-18-2011, 11:20 AM
My depth finder is on my boat for decorative purposes

CantRepeat
05-18-2011, 11:35 AM
My depth finder is on my boat for decorative purposes

Then you are doing it WRONG!

TxsRiverRat
05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Then you are doing it WRONG!

:LOL: it means my boat goes to the same location every week and has been for 9 seasons :)

Ski-me
05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Here is mine from last year with some pics.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35245&highlight=faria+depth

lav
05-18-2011, 01:26 PM
These guys claim readings at 60+ MPH
I own the generation before this,no air/water temp
Works well and has nice large display

http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/products/D10DX/overview.htm

If you do get this order the clear two part epoxy from them I had a hard time finding clear and that is what they recommend if doing thru hull transducer
Also they have alloy bezels if so desired

kyfooter
05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
I put a $100 Teleflex in my 86 and it worked perfectly at all speeds. Critical though to make sure you test the location of where you plan to mount it. If I recall correctly, the directions had me place the transducer (sp?) in a plastic bag with water, and without spilling the water, move it around the hull where I planned to mount it ensuring I would get a reading. Wife drove and I held the transducer to make sure the final location maintained a reading at all speeds, and was unaffected by prop wash. Then we glued it in.

I mounted the display opposite side of the hour meter, same general location so all guages were symmetrical.

east tx skier
05-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Run a search for Faria depth finders. Those will meet your stated need. You'll have to epoxy a "puck" into the bilge. It is a thru hull transducer. I've seen joint depth and temperature ones. But, I think you'll have to drill thru the hull or transom to get a sensor into the water. If your gun shy about drilling you might want to stick with a solely depth finder. Run a search on here as there are many depth finder threads.

I have a Faria air/water temp and depth gauge that was recently installed. It has a thru hull transducer as opposed to an in bilge epoxy mounted one. I have it mounted in the old Perfect Pass paddle wheel hole (special part number for this transducer). The air temp sensor is inside the dash pod (out of the direct sunlight). The water temp probe is run through the bilge and out the old hole for the air guide speedo, which was no longer being used because the perfect pass gauge replaced it.

Works great.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I put a $100 Teleflex in my 86 and it worked perfectly at all speeds. Critical though to make sure you test the location of where you plan to mount it. If I recall correctly, the directions had me place the transducer (sp?) in a plastic bag with water, and without spilling the water, move it around the hull where I planned to mount it ensuring I would get a reading. Wife drove and I held the transducer to make sure the final location maintained a reading at all speeds, and was unaffected by prop wash. Then we glued it in.

I mounted the display opposite side of the hour meter, same general location so all guages were symmetrical.

Would like to see a pic of the gauge in your dash.

JMann
05-19-2011, 05:42 PM
I don't have one but I have heard these work.

http://www.marineboatsupplies.com/uniden-qt206hp-black-digital-depth-gauge-with-adjustable-in-hull-transducer?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Free&utm_campaign=GoogShopping

thatsmrmastercraft
05-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't have one but I have heard these work.

http://www.marineboatsupplies.com/uniden-qt206hp-black-digital-depth-gauge-with-adjustable-in-hull-transducer?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Free&utm_campaign=GoogShopping

Heck of a price when they have them in stock.

JMann
05-19-2011, 06:32 PM
I bought one on e-bay brand newfor $65 delivered but I never installed it. I didn't have a gauge in my dash I was willing to take out, no clock. I resold it on craiglists for what I paid for it.

Miss Rita
05-19-2011, 06:53 PM
I have a Humminbird that I bought from Overtons for $100. It works so well I don't even have it epoxied to the bilge floor. It usually sits in 1/4" of water. It's probably identical to the Uniden unit.

StuSX
05-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Here's a stupid question... but I'm a stupid guy.. Theoretically, where does the depth measure to and from? Do they build in any play for the prop being lower than the finder mechanism?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Here's a stupid question... but I'm a stupid guy.. Theoretically, where does the depth measure to and from? Do they build in any play for the prop being lower than the finder mechanism?

The reading is from the bottom of the boat. You get to calculate the running gear depth and how much or little water you choose to navigate in.

mayo93prostar
05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
U,
I put a Hummingbird HDR 910 in my prostar 190. It does depth only, no temp. the gauge goes in the dash, I put it where the clock was.
http://store.humminbird.com/products/411637

here is a link to an old thread
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-15314.html

Ski-me
05-20-2011, 02:49 PM

You can set an "offset" dimension when you calibrate it. So, If you want it to say the bottom is 1 foot below the hull surface, you can dial that in.

UofU2727
05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks, I'm headed down this upcoming weekend to Md to rebuild the carb and figure out which one I want now. It's been a busy winter, the only problem this time I'm not even sure if I'll get the boat in the water, the Potomac has been flooded out. If it isn't one thing it's another, busy with work or too much rain this spring.

mayo93prostar
05-20-2011, 11:22 PM
U, there is a small ski club on south river by Annapolis with a slalom course and there are other areas to ride out here.