PDA

View Full Version : Removing lake scum line?

agarabaghi
05-18-2011, 09:10 AM
So i keep my boat in the water and pull it out every couple of weeks and do a wash compounding / wax and usually it cleans right off.

Is there anything else i can use to clean off the scum line? Just looking for the best ways to keep my hull shiny =D

Yellow X9
05-18-2011, 09:23 AM
So i keep my boat in the water and pull it out every couple of weeks and do a wash compounding / wax and usually it cleans right off.

Is there anything else i can use to clean off the scum line? Just looking for the best ways to keep my hull shiny =D

Pull it out of the water

agarabaghi
05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
no can do.

We don't have lifts, and storing it on land is just way to inconvenient when i can walk out of my back yard and down to the lake, putt to work, ride after work, and putt back to my dock.

rhsprostar
05-18-2011, 09:40 AM
ON and Off bottom cleaner is amazing stuff... a little toxic but i use it once a year and the hull looks brand new afterwards. Super easy to use.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=97850&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10104&subdeptNum=10379&classNum=10381

kdr
05-18-2011, 09:52 AM
If my boat thinks it is getting in the water, a scum line appears:). Seriously though, if I put it in, then get my runs in and am back on the trailer, I get a slight scum line that won't wipe off. I have no idea what is in our water. I use FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) for the bottom of the hull and some Attwood hull cleaner from Walmart for the sides. The FSR is a gel that clings to the boat and the attwood stuff is just a liquid. They both are acidic and will not feel good on the skin. I clean the bottom 2-3 times a season. I keep the Atwood cleaner in a spray bottle and the sides get a quick spray usually once a week. A coat of wax is needed after using this stuff.

agarabaghi
05-18-2011, 09:54 AM
ON and Off bottom cleaner is amazing stuff... a little toxic but i use it once a year and the hull looks brand new afterwards. Super easy to use.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=97850&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10104&subdeptNum=10379&classNum=10381

I used on off on our saltwater boat. Good to know it works on lake scum too.

BriEOD
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
I get a "stain" that no amount of elbow grease can get out over time. I buy Starbrite hull cleaner and put about half the bottle into a pump up sprayer. I spray the bad area and let it sit for about 5 minutes before hosing off. Then I use some Babe's Boat Brite.

TxsRiverRat
05-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Doesnt anyone else use the 50/50 mix of vinegar and water or 50/50 mix of amonia and water?

pmkkdx
05-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Doesnt anyone else use the 50/50 mix of vinegar and water or 50/50 mix of amonia and water?

yep when I hit a lake that leaves the white chaulky crud ... guessing high in lime or calcium?

TxsRiverRat
05-18-2011, 10:56 AM
yep when I hit a lake that leaves the white chaulky crud ... guessing high in lime or calcium?

I've found that get's rid of everything including the hard water stains

Now I need something to get rid of the vinegar smell :)

CruisinGA
05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Star Brite hull cleaner once a year for us, but our boat stays on a lift when not in use.

xbot50000
05-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Industrial Toilet bowl - from swish - works well with very little effort. Doesn't hurt the gelcoat either.

kskonn
05-18-2011, 12:53 PM
I use the vinegar and water every time I pull the boat out of the lake, keeps it looking good. On the bottom of the hull I usually water down some Muratic acid, scrub the bottom let sit for 15 min and then rinse, looks good as new.

Mgboyd25
05-18-2011, 12:57 PM
We used to have to do the same with our boat. Acid wash from Walmart then always follow with a good wax. We would also keep a few sponges in the boat to rub the new scum off while the boat sat in the water which would help keep from getting a scum line.

acornellier
05-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Do you live in Florida?If so the lakes here are very acidic,due to the cypress trees,eventually it will hurt the gel coat if the boat sets in the water all the time.There are a couple boats in the lake I go to that all ready have bubbling starting and are stained really bad, and these are older Mastercraft boats.I keep my boat dry docked and wash it completey after each use with a marine wash or car wash soap.I wax the hull twice a year and don't have any staining problems.

Boater_C
05-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Pay the money to have your hull polished clean, then coated with ceramic matrix. Ceramic matrix is a guaranteed permanent coating for fiberglass, and once it's on, no more polishing or waxing, ever, just washing. I had it done to my boat to avoid lake scum, and no more polishing or waxing is nice too! I can't tell it's there either.

Ironhorse
05-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Use Starbrite Hull Cleaner with a foam brush. Works everytime.

UrbantuxTN
05-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Is there anything that will get the marine growth off that is safe for a boat on a lift? My boat has been in the lake for ~ four weeks. Getting my lift installed next week at the marina and going to need to give it a good scrub down. The crap grows fast in the southeast.

Would it be better to have the marina set it on a stand to clean it or will it be 6 one way half dozen the other with the lift?

loeweb
05-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I too have used the deuche mix in the past on my boat. I found that it would cut the wax and I needed to wax 3-5 times a summer as opposed to 1-2 times. I started using Distilled water to get rid of the hard water spots, and as long as it is done right out of the water, it removes the scum line as well. I got the Distilled water idea from Harold a few years ago.

agarabaghi
05-18-2011, 02:41 PM
well i guess i compound / polish and wax my boat a lot more than most people. I do a full (4 - 5 hours) compounding / wax every other weekend =P... it removed the line, but i was just wondering what methods everyone else was using...

TxsRiverRat
05-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Would it be better to have the marina set it on a stand to clean it or will it be 6 one way half dozen the other with the lift?

I had a boat that sat in the water and had a lot of growth on the bottom... I saw what the acid did the concrete and decided it was worth hiring it out.

Oh, and if ya wanna avoid all the stains, be off the lake by 930 am like we do... ;)

CruisinGA
05-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Is there anything that will get the marine growth off that is safe for a boat on a lift? My boat has been in the lake for ~ four weeks. Getting my lift installed next week at the marina and going to need to give it a good scrub down. The crap grows fast in the southeast.

Star Brite Hull cleaner. Bass Pro has it among other places.

Jim@BAWS
05-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Do you live in Florida?If so the lakes here are very acidic,due to the cypress trees,eventually it will hurt the gel coat if the boat sets in the water all the time.There are a couple boats in the lake I go to that all ready have bubbling starting and are stained really bad, and these are older Mastercraft boats.I keep my boat dry docked and wash it completey after each use with a marine wash or car wash soap.I wax the hull twice a year and don't have any staining problems.

Albert

Blistering is alot different than Tanic Acid stains

FSR is a GEL that works very very well

Fiberglass Stain Remover

Jim@BAWS

UrbantuxTN
05-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Star Brite Hull cleaner. Bass Pro has it among other places.

Will that be safe for the poly tanks holding my boat up? I know some of that stuff is pretty hard core. This scum is going to be fresh and wet when I get to cleaning it

jdeml
05-20-2011, 09:31 PM
mix 60-40 toliet bowl cleaner, spray on or rub on let sit for a minute then rinse off. works like a charm. .02

Chief
05-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Pull it out of the water

Ditto..........

Kingsley X-1
05-21-2011, 04:15 AM
mix 60-40 toliet bowl cleaner, spray on or rub on let sit for a minute then rinse off. works like a charm. .02

yep 50/50 for me in an old windex bottle. the hydrochloric acid is doing all the work for you.

make sure and rinse out the sprayer with fresh water after you are done, other wise the acid will eat up the metal springs in the trigger.

Thrall
05-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes, toilet bowl cleaner, works great. I believe it has HCL or muratic acid (same??) in it. It will etch concrete, so keep your driveway wet and rinsed off while cleaning the boat unless you like the exposed aggregate look! Will not harm the gelcoat or trailer paint.