PDA

View Full Version : First post

motorowlands
05-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Hello,

I've been doing a lot of reading here and thought I should introduce myself.
Been living in Tokyo, Japan for the past 6yrs and thought we were moving back to the US this summer, but that may have been put on hold...arrghh. Anyway, I wanted to have a boat ready for when we moved back and have always wanted a real ski boat since I tried to barefoot in 1990. Owned an old, '68 Glastron IB/OB in the early 90's for a couple years so not a lot of boat/skiing experience and zero wake board experience. I'll tell you it has felt like an eternity for summer to get here. We usually spend June-July-August in the US and I bought the boat Nov 2010. Not long now!

I've been researching and shopping for a boat for the past two years and could not find what I wanted for what I could afford. All the boats I looked at and test drove (all were IB/OB) were junk, poor construction, engine problems, low power. In the end I spent more then I wanted too but I'm quite sure it will be money well spent getting what I wanted.

A good quality ski boat.
Proud owner of a 1997 MasterCraft Prostar 205 Sammy Duvall LT1 with 436hrs.

Crazy how the deal went down but that will have to wait for another post.

I was home for a couple days recently and hooked up to a dry lake and fired up the boat for the first time. Fired right up and the engine sounded great, but when I put it in gear and gave some throttle up to about 22-2500rpm there seemed to be a good bit of vibration coming from the rear of the boat/prop area. Is that normal when out of the water? Also it seems like very little water came out while just idling, then when giving throttle it really poured out. I expected more water to come out while idling. Is this also normal?
I only started the boat 3 times with the dry lake, revved it up twice and never ran it more then 1-2 minutes so if it sounds like something could be wrong, I don't think I made it any worse.

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I actually start using the boat but hopefully not. Also hope to be able to contribute to the forum once I get some hours under my belt.

Thanks for all the great post, this Forum really helped influence my decision to buy a MasterCraft.

Cheers

Karl

Miss Rita
05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
NEVER run an inboard in gear while out of the water. The strut bearing is lubricated by water, so that vibration you felt was probably the drive shaft. You may need a new bearing.

Re the water: Your impeller is probably fried. If the vanes are broken, it won't pump much at idle, but can move a little more water at speed. Change the impeller, don't even think about it, just do it.

motorowlands
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks Miss Rita, I'll have to check the strut bearing and already ordered a new impeller, just need to install.

SS LS1
05-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Congrats on the boat and the LT-1 is a beast of a motor for that boat. :D To help get the impeller out get 2 paint can openers and place the hooked ends back behind the impeller and pull with your fingers in the bottle opener ends. Should pop right out, if not bump the starter a few times with the impeller cover off and it might walk itself right out of the housing.

Enjoy your summer! :)

thatsmrmastercraft
05-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Welcome to Team Talk and the Mastercraft family! You will find this forum a great resource for learning all that you need to know to operate that great boat you purchased. There are a number of differences with inboards, such as not running in gear, that will soon become things that you will be able to pass on to other new MC owners. The years of experience and expertise here are incredible. Best of luck getting back here on a permanent basis. Spend as much time on here as you can and you will learn a bunch. Questions are welcomed here and answered promptly. And we love pictures - you can't post too many.

motorowlands
05-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the info and feedback, you guys have a seriously active forum here!

Jerseydave
05-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Welcome!

As said, don't put her in gear while running on a hose. And don't rev it much because the garden hose cannot keep up with the amount of water the pump takes in.

If you're near Jersey, let get that boat of yours and go footin'!

BTW, we need pics of that Sammy!

coz
05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Been living in Tokyo, Japan for the past 6yrs and thought we were moving back to the US this summer, but that may have been put on hold...arrghh.

If you're near Jersey, let get that boat of yours and go footin'!

BTW, we need pics of that Sammy!

Is Tokyo near Jersey? :confused: Welcome to the hood we hope you enjoy your stay and congrats on the new 205 :headbang:

Jerseydave
05-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Is Tokyo near Jersey? :confused: Welcome to the hood we hope you enjoy your stay and congrats on the new 205 :headbang:

It says "northeast" for his location (not sure why it says that?)

motorowlands
05-21-2011, 06:26 AM
HaHa, Jersey - Tokyo, it's a quick 12hr flight. When I'm back in the great ole US of A (which I try to be as often as possible) I have a house in Brodheadsville, PA. That's why the NE location.

No photos till I'm back, June 10th, WOOHOO!

Jerseydave
05-21-2011, 08:38 AM
So, where will you be footin? Blue Marsh? Lake Wally? Both pretty crowded on weekends.

You're not too far from us, we wakeboard in Florence NJ on the Delaware.

j4rowell
05-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Japan huh? Expatriate I assume? Although 6 years seems like a long expat assignment. What type of work do you do?

motorowlands
05-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Jerseydave, I'll be hitting Beltzville Dam, 15min from my door to the boat ramp. Your about 2.5hrs from me, doubt I would make it down that way till after I permanently move back. My summer is 78 days and I'm slammed with work most of that time.

j4, Ever do any spelunking in J4? Awesome cave out by State College PA. Yea, 6yrs is way too long (2 more to go) but it's the best thing for the family. My wife is the reason we're here, she's an executive with Corning Inc. I take care of my kids and do a lot of motorcycle riding while in JP (best country in the world for street riding) and a Property developer in the US (slum lord) I own and lease houses in PA, NY, WV.