PDA

View Full Version : Another Hero has left building...

sully
05-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Harmon Kilbrew pasted away today. A total class
act. Harmon ranks 11th on baseball's career home run list with 573. With no help from pills or shots.
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18079627?nclick_check=1

Ron Grover
05-17-2011, 06:48 PM
My brush with Mr. Killibrew.

The local radio station had him at a bar and was interviewing him. On my way home I knew I passed that bar and I knew how long he would be there so I went home and got a binder full of baseball cards that I had collected when I was a kid. They were 1966 cards. Didn't have time to find his card so I just grabbed the binder and went back to the bar.

When I got there I waited for him to finish with the radio station and I ask him if he would autograph my card. By this time I was in my 40's so it must have been pretty strange for a grown man to ask for an autograph and have a binder of old cards. I explained these cards were mine when I was 11 years old and he was always a favorite along with Al kaline and some of teh others guys that were stars of that age.

Mr. Killibrew sat down at my table and just started thumbing through the pages and telling me baseball and personal stories about people on those cards. Two grown men laughing and taking as if we were long lost buddies. Pretty soon there was a whole group of baseball fans sharing childhood memories back when he was with the Twins. The Killer played for the Royals at the end of his career but even though we were in KC no one was talking to him about that period. He just talked about the good old days.

sully
05-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Ron,
That is a great story!!

2RLAKE
05-17-2011, 08:15 PM
those are the guys that made baseball. I'm a Cincinnati kid and grew up with the Big Red Machine ... say what you want about #14 Pete Rose but he should be in the HOF. Anyway, about 8 years ago i was in an airline crown room and there sat Pete ... everyone walked by and pointed at him. I walked up and sat down next to him and chatted for 15 minutes ... great conversation