PDA

View Full Version : Corroded prop shaft

DannynGCove
05-17-2011, 02:57 PM
I was repacking the stuffing box in 91 Tristar I recently purchased. I discovered the shaft where the packing is has deep pits which is no doubt why it was leaking. Ive seen some suggestions about putting a longer hose on to move the seal up on the shaft where the surface is still smooth. I intend to buy a new shaft but would like to wait until the end of the ski season. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.

EricB
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
You will need to do the work to get the shaft out to extend the hose for the seal, so why not go ahead and replace the shaft? Might as well just get it done.

DannynGCove
05-17-2011, 03:12 PM
I thought about that but was wanting to save the $350 for another project. The boat is in pretty good shape for a 20 year old boat that wasnt taken care of. But it has many needs and I wanted to use it while I refurbish it.

CantRepeat
05-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Do you have enough room to extend the rubber part that the log pack connects to. I mean long enough that the seal will ride on clean shaft?

And to address the issue.

Either the shaft alignment was so bad for so long the big brass nut was rubbing on the shaft or, the boat was run dry in gear out of the water a lot. I would think.

DannynGCove
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
There's about 6 inches beyond the bad part to the coupler. I think youre right about the alignment. Theres a slight shudder at higher speed. I had the propeller tuned to see if that is the problem, but im thinking it might be the alignment. Im fairly certain the packing has never been replaced since I know the original owner(s) of the boat. Could be 20 years of neglect!

etduc
05-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I thought about that but was wanting to save the $350 for another project. The boat is in pretty good shape for a 20 year old boat that wasnt taken care of. But it has many needs and I wanted to use it while I refurbish it.

Seems to me, you would be doubling your efforts. Work performed to--Temporary fix +
work performed for final proper fix. Remember, your temporary fix, is not guaranteed.