PDA

View Full Version : PCM 351W Dipstick Measurement, Oil Level and Engine Angle.

Nvrgvup
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I have a 83' S&S 351W PS. I first want to say thanks for reading this and any insight anyone can provide.

I know the issues of correct dipsticks, dipstick mark locations and oil levels have been discussed here somewhat.

Like others it seems like I can only get a little less than 4 quarts out and then refill with the same to get it to full. I always keep the oil at full and measure it after about 30 sec. with the boat level on the trailer which seems to match with it in the water.

Would someone with a similar engine that seems to be able to get the correct amount of oil out and in their engine be so kind measure their dipstick marks so I can compare to mine.

I'm not loosing oil. I am either not getting it all out through the drain tube through the hull or my dipstick is marked wrong.

Did some research and called the dealer and I have the correct dipstick however I don't know if it is marked correctly. The oil tube and dipstick definitely look original.

I have the R041032 which is for a 71'-85 PCM 8-14 degree.
There is a R041032A which is for 89 up PCM 8-14 degree.
The R041033A covers the R041033 & R041033A for PCM 0-7 degree applications.

Dealer said to use the R041032A or I can find the R041032 on-line. I don't know the difference between the two.

I suppose since the dipstick is for a 8-14 degree I could check the engine angle which I think is about 15 degree from the manual or 16 degrees based on the strut angle. Then check it at 8 degree and then the midpoint of 10 degrees which may be the best. Maybe this is where the problem is at times since we have dipsticks that are measuring the oil level at the limit of their tolerance range.

Thanks for the help.

Miss Rita
05-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I'd suck the engine dry with a pump, add 4.5 qts fresh oil, install new filter, run the engine, then see where the oil level is on the dipstick you have.

Nvrgvup
05-17-2011, 11:28 AM
I need to get a pump. I think that would help simplify things. Do you guys typically pump from the drain hose or go through the dipstick oil tube?

Miss Rita
05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Either method is fine. I feel warmer and fuzzier if I attach the pump to the drain hose.

Jim@BAWS
05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
1) Run Engine
2) Drain oil over night via quick drain lube kit
3) remove filter
4) Place new filter on (Little oil on seal then hand tighten
5) Add 4 quarts of oil
6) Place in water and run, shut off engine and add oil to correct level on dip stick

Jim@BAWS

CantRepeat
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
1) Run Engine
3) remove filter
5) Add 4 quarts of oil
6) Place in water and run, shut off engine and add oil to correct level on dip stick

Jim@BAWS

Some how overnight and quick don't seem to add up? :D

thatsmrmastercraft
05-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Some how overnight and quick don't seem to add up? :D

As compare to draining all winter:rolleyes:

Nvrgvup
05-17-2011, 12:49 PM
1) Run Engine
3) remove filter
5) Add 4 quarts of oil

Jim@BAWS

I have the drain kit that I think is factory that is attached to the oil pan.

I do everything else except for the drain overnight. Usually leave it an hour or so to drain.

Motorcraft, Wix or Napa Gold filter and 20w50 Vavoline Racing oil.

I'm thinking with how the drain hose wants to bend up when it goes through the drain plug may be leaving some oil in the pan, which a pump may help.

It would be nice to know that my dipstick is measuring accurately though so I am not under filling.

kevkan
05-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I had an 85 S&S with the 351 powerslot. Due to the engine angle, the dip stick always read that the oil level was over full. Seems to me the PCM manual addressed it, but I sent the manual with the boat when I sold it. The manual said how much oil to add, I thought it was 5 quarts with a new filter.

Do you have the PCM manual?

Nvrgvup
05-20-2011, 02:09 PM
OK so I found the dipstick dimensions from another owner for a PCM R041032 which is for a 71'-85 PCM 8-14 degree 351W which is what I have.

From the base of the handle the listed measurements of the dipstick are:

Base of handle to "full" mark- 17"
Base of handle to "add" mark- 17 3/4"
Base of handle to tip of dipstick- 18 1/2"

Measure mine and it matches exactly.

So I then did a test on oil level vs engine angle since the dipstick is for an 8-14 degree engine tip.

I leveled the boat off the engine mounts and then measured the angle of the engine off the face of the crank pulley.

It measured 13 degrees, took oil measurement. Then I dropped the tung as low as it would go which put the engine at 9 degrees. The oil level actually measured higher on the stick at the 9 degrees vs the 13 degrees. Would be interesting to know when on plane roughly what the engine / boat angle is and then fill compared to that.

In my case recently with only being able to get about 4 quarts out and in makes me think i need to pump it out and then let it drain overnight as suggested. At least I have the right dipstick in. If it was the wrong one it would tend to read low and take alot of oil to fill it up.

Table Rocker
05-20-2011, 08:25 PM
You may have already taken this into consideration, but if you have 5 quarts in the engine you aren't ever going to get 5 quarts to drain. The oil filter will usually hold a little over a half quart that you will not get via the drain plug and there is also oil upstream of the filter. If you are getting 4 quarts and then changing the filter, you are getting at least 4.5 quarts of oil out and probably close to 5.

Also when you fill, if you don't start the engine your new oil filter is empty and you will show full on the dipstick even though you aren't really topped off. Start the engine for a minute filling the filter and upstream, shut off and then check your fill. Top off as needed.