PDA

View Full Version : 2004 X2 Water in Tranny... help please

CoyB
05-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Ok so I have a 2004 X2. I bought the boat last year and had a mechanic check it out for me. I now have water in the tranny and called the company that did the check and told them the tranny fluid is milky. they asked if I surfed behind my boat. I said yes and they told me that it probably come in because of that???? is that true? if not, what do i do? how do i find out what kind of tranny i have? please help. i am freaking out!!

bobx1
05-17-2011, 09:58 AM
#1 - it is possible that you got enough water in your bilge (possibly from surfing but you should have noticed a lot of water in there) and it got into the trannsmission. Suck out the oil, replace (may have to do this twice) and see if it continues to get milky. If so, go to step 2.

#2 - Take the tranny cooler off and have it pressure tested. If it is cracked, it is easy and cheap to replace.

CoyB
05-17-2011, 10:08 AM
so. you dont think anything major is wrong? if so that is some greeaat news.

bobx1
05-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I dont think anything major is wrong (the gearheads will chime in) and this is pretty common. If your bilge was/is dry, generally the only other thing that could be the problem is the cooler and any radiator shop can pressure test it (and sometimes fix it). If it needs to be replaced, your dealer or Skidim will have the cooler and I think it is less than $200.

If you had enough water in the bilge, it could have seeped into the transmission via the seals OR it could have come in through the dip stick (which is common).

Search "water transmission" and you will see a lot of threads on this and a few of them show the steps on checking the pressure in the cooler by yourself.

Dont sweat it....

P.S. Make sure you check and fix the source of the water leak (rub rail????) before it happens again.
I should have also noted that it may take 3-5 times of flushing your fluid to get the water totally out.

CoyB
05-17-2011, 05:47 PM
ok. so i replaced the oil three times and its still milky. so step two. pressure test the tranny cooler. if i run the boat will it mess up the tranny?

CoyB
05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
will it mess up if i run it?

jdeml
05-18-2011, 07:04 PM
will it mess up if i run it?

I had to change mine close to 5 times till it was better. Id test the cooler first. Itll save you money on oil if its cracked and leaking water in.