PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lighting replace with LED's?

jdhart73
05-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Anyone have any suggestions where to get replacement lights for my X2 trailer?
Looking to switch everything to LED this year, have a few crunched up lenses etc..

Thanks!
Jake

Jeff d
05-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I got all of my stuff at Wal-Mart. It was cheaper than anywhere else and the quality seems good. No failures in about a year accept for one that got owned by a separated tire tread. There are more LEDs in my 6" oval lights than some of the more expensive brands I've seen and they're really bright compared to the incandescent ones they replaced. I also did my red and orange markers with LEDs from Wal-Mart.

IIRC the stop/turn oval lights were like $9 each and the side markers were around $3 each.

jdhart73
05-16-2011, 11:00 PM
So did they fit in the rubber grommets that you had on your trailer? Just curious if it was all pretty much plug and play or if you had to do some monkeying around?

Thanks,
jake

fentong
05-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Does Walmart also carry the Clear Oval backup lights? I need some of those for mine as the original incandescent are useless.

Jeff d
05-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Plug and play for the tail lights. The connectors were the same as the factory Truck-Lite lights on my '00 230 VRS trailer. I think it's a pretty standard connector though.

On the markers it was slightly more complicated for mine. The OEM lights seemed optimized for a metal trailer. They grounded through their housings to the trailer chassis and had a one pin connector for the positive. The problem is that the MC trailers have fiberglass fenders. So, as a workaround aparently MasterCraft ran a ground wire from the rivet on the marker light housing to the metal part of the trailer.

The new markers had a two pin connector and actually made a lot more sense for a fiberglass fender application but I had to take some steps to make them work. First of all I had to drill out the rivets which were replaced with SS nuts and bolts. Then I had to enlarge the hole in the fender slightly with a dremel to clear the larger 2 pin connector. Then I crimped a ground loop on the end of the ground wire and connected it to the same place where the factory connected their little grounding wire.

Now I could have just popped the markers right into the factory holders. They were compatible. Mine were old and corroded so I went the above route. If your little plastic holders for the markers are in good shape you may be able to just pry the old ones out, unhook that single wire and pop the new one in.

Jeff d
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Does Walmart also carry the Clear Oval backup lights? I need some of those for mine as the original incandescent are useless.

I have not noticed them but I haven't gone looking for them as my trailer doesn't have backup lights.

Boater_C
05-17-2011, 12:50 AM
eTrailer.com Great prices, and fast shipping.

Kyle
05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I did my trailer all led from this place here. http://www.google.com/m/search?aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1-k0d0t0&fkt=1667&fsdt=12177&cqt=&rst=&htf=&his=&maction=&q=trailer+azle+tx&flip=0

Yes it's just a phone number but he is a good ole boy and warranted lights without any reciept from me. Call him and see if he can ship to you.

Example. Oval led lights were 1/3 here over walmart or academy. He is a supply house not a store. This being everything he buys is in bulk and not individually packaged.

Call quality trailers in azle Tx and speak with them.

He does everything trailer but repair them. It's a supply house for people or companies building trailers from scratch. From a small utility trailer to an 18 wheeler trailer. They have everything.

CoyB
05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
walmart is the cheapest and just as good as i could find anywhere else.

scott023
05-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Best place for trailer LEDs...

http://vehiclelight.com/

Sodar
05-17-2011, 10:11 AM
http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/Lights-Wiring_c_38.html

Barefooter92
05-17-2011, 10:15 PM
ebay "randpcarriages" has them all including struts cheap prices and free shipping