PDA

View Full Version : Need help with carb/fuel line

blorr
05-16-2011, 11:40 PM
I have a '91 prostar. I'm having a problem I was wanting to get some help with.
I replaced the fuel pump and had to put on a new metal fuel line going from the pump to the carb. There is a piece that the fuel line goes into which screws into the carb. It has a screen on it and a small gasket goes in between the piece and the carb.

This piece keeps getting loose and letting fuel leak out. Can anyone tell me how to get this piece to stay screwed in tight? It is driving me nuts! I can just tighten it back up, but that gets old doing it every hour.

Thanks for your help!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-17-2011, 01:19 AM
My guess is there is some stress on the fuel line and the tension and vibration is the culprit. Might need to do some fine tuning to the fuel line.

Nvrgvup
05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking maybe the problem is the gasket or possibly how you are tightening it.

If the fuel line flange nut is tight into the screen nut that goes into the carb then nothing has the ability to rotate as you tighten up the screen nut. What may be happening as the screen nut is tightened the fuel line is being twisted up like a spring. When it runs the fuel line actually loosens the screen nut.

Check to make sure the thin metal gasket between the screen nut and carb looks OK.

I would suggest to loosen the fuel line flange nut that goes into the screen nut so the fuel line and nut assembly can rotate freely. Then tighten the screen nut into the carb. Then finally tighten the fuel line flange nut.

east tx skier
05-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I have a '91 prostar. I'm having a problem I was wanting to get some help with.
I replaced the fuel pump and had to put on a new metal fuel line going from the pump to the carb. There is a piece that the fuel line goes into which screws into the carb. It has a screen on it and a small gasket goes in between the piece and the carb.

This piece keeps getting loose and letting fuel leak out. Can anyone tell me how to get this piece to stay screwed in tight? It is driving me nuts! I can just tighten it back up, but that gets old doing it every hour.

Thanks for your help!

Are you sure it's too loose? My experience with that piece is that it leaks when it's too tight. Figure out the torque specs for the fuel line fittings and tighten it to those exact specs. My guess is that the fuel leak will stop.