PDA

View Full Version : That's when I saw... the body...

Knoxes
08-25-2004, 12:57 PM
We have a beach house on the SC coast and occassionally drive down for a weekend. It's just me, Mrs. K and lil K and they fall asleep before I get out of the driveway. The route I take is fairly rural, but a pretty ride, with lots of countryside, farms and indigeny (is that a word?). It was early December, I think, but pretty warm, even for SC. And it was dark, well past sunset. We were in the Cherokee on a 4 lane section of 501. There were no headlights in either direction and I rolled along just under 70. The shoulder of the road sloped off and was covered in tall grass. I wasn't really thinking about anything at all when I saw it. I went by so fast that I couldn't really be sure, but I was sure, you know. There was no denying it. And no explaining it. There are no houses or stores or buildings or anything around that could have produced it. No street lights or broken down cars or anything. Just there, on the side of the road, in nowhere SC, face-up (I think).

bcampbe7
08-25-2004, 01:03 PM
I take it you didn't stop to check-it-out... Did you see anything on the news?

Knoxes
08-25-2004, 02:42 PM
damn skippy I kept driving. I can't remember why I couldn't call the po-po. I think something was wrong with my phone. The next sign of civilization was about 20 minutes down the road. I drove around that little town looking for a cop (never when you need them, ya know). It never made our local (beach) newspaper, but probably wouldn't.

bcampbe7
08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
What time of night? Are you sure you weren't hallucinating?

Knoxes
08-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Even though that might have been entirely likely at some point in my life, it was not that night. It was probably about 9:30 and the Cherokee had a bit of a coon light on the right side - you know the one that's so misaligned that it shines up into the trees on the right? It was lying at an angle to the road with the feet closest and head away. Fully dressed. But since the shoulder angled down and away from the road, it's head wasn't visible and I went by so fast.

lakes Rick
08-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Maybe just a drunk taking a nap..

NeilM
08-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Knoxes, is there supposed to be a photo or something attached (or is this 'just' text??).

Rick, you experienced at 'roadside naps'? Not since college days for me...

MarkP
08-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Knoxes,

Are you just pullin our legs?:rolleyes: ??

Knoxes
08-25-2004, 10:40 PM
no fellas, I swear to gawd I'm not making this up. I hope Rick is right, but that dude was a long way from anywhere. I mean, I've been past that spot in daylight at least 10 times since, and I still don't see where he might have come from or where he may have been going. There aren't any houses or stores or anything around there. Just cotton and tobacco fields. It occured to me that maybe he was thumbing and got hit. Maybe he got picked up earlier and got rolled and dumped. I don't know. I'll tell you this - it was creepy as hell and stuck with me for a couple of days. One of those times when you're not sure whether or not you did the right thing. Maybe I shoulda stopped. Neil - I assure you - there are no photos of this deal.

I DO have a nice picture of Snap, Crackle and Pop that I can share.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/642637/TLWOC-Set58_01.jpg

MarkP
08-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Knoxes

Nice shots.
Speaking of shots,:friday: :uglyhamme

scott88prostar
08-25-2004, 10:50 PM
I was driving the Wally wagon back from fla.....and on the side of the road a kid was laying on the side of the road....scared the whoops out me....Ive heard that kids do it for kicks....you get a rush when a car goes whizzing by!....what fun!,,,,another story a guy was going to work at 4 a.m.....saw a person laying in the road and pulled over......before he could do anything.....he got hit by a limo taking a family to the airport....he didnt succeed in killing himself only crippling himself.....what was he thinkin?

Knoxes
08-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Snap has his happy face on.

And Crackle- I don't know what he's up to, but..

OhioProstar
08-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Maybe it was a car-jacking attempt. You stop being a good samaritan and WHAM he shots you, takes your vehicle, kills your family.......Scary stuff. Good thing you didn't stop.

Leroy
08-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Knoxes; You didn't partake of Rob's mushrooms did you? :purplaugh

Knoxes
08-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Nope, but I did end up sitting on top of a dresser in my dorm room once, ate a whole box of Capt'n Crunch and watched the carpet wiggle around.

MarkP
08-26-2004, 10:47 AM
We need the finger wagging smiley guy:toast: