PDA

View Full Version : Engine idles high after fuel pump replace

SkiDemon70
05-16-2011, 11:30 PM
This is my first post and I have found the information on Team Talk very useful. I have a 2001 ProStar 190 with the 310 hp TBI Predator engine. After a starting the boat several times this season and a couple of outings, the engine would not fire. I check the kill switch and it was fine. I replaced the fuel pump with the Airtex E2044 based upon posts on TT and my Mastercraft dealer suggestion. After replacing the fuel pump, I still had no luck on getting the engine started. The local dealer suggested I check the fuel pump fuse. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and the boat started right away. However, the boat now idles around 1200 RPM and when I rev it up it does not run smooth above 4000 RPM. The check engine light is on. Also, it appears I get some gas sputtering out the exhaust. Is there something I should have done to "reset" the computer? I am new to EFI style engines, my previous MC was a 1988 ProStar 190. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rhsprostar
05-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Strange....this might be a shot in the dark but try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU.
A common problem with the fuel pump swap is a bad connection at one end of the hose or the other check those. Kinked hose possibly when you put the module back together?
Did you check the pressure at the rail after the swap out?
The person you might want to ask is JimN...message him he may have a few more ideas.

CantRepeat
05-17-2011, 10:51 AM
You can't have gas coming out of the exhaust. It would be flames.

What about a clogged fuel return line? That would seem to force a higher then normal pressure which in turn might cause a higher then normal idle.

SkiDemon70
05-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Strange....this might be a shot in the dark but try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU.
A common problem with the fuel pump swap is a bad connection at one end of the hose or the other check those. Kinked hose possibly when you put the module back together?
Did you check the pressure at the rail after the swap out?
The person you might want to ask is JimN...message him he may have a few more ideas.
rhsprostar - thanks for the tips. I had already disconnected the battery before seeing your post. Dis-connecting the battery works well in GM vehicles to reset codes. It did seem to run better. My local mastercraft dealer indicated if might take up to 20 cold start to temperature for the ECM to reset itself. I will check the pressure on the rail, didn't think about that before. I was very careful to "wrap" the hose during re-assembly of fuel pump assembly to avoid kink.