PDA

View Full Version : Cool oil drain trick

jdhart73
05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I am sure someone has already done this but it was new to me so I thought id post it.
I started my X2 up and let it run in the driveway for 15-20 minutes to warm it up enough to change the oil. I turned it off and had pulled the oil drain tubing through the back drain plug hole and took the nut off to drain the oil into a pain, nothing. I stuck a smaller 1/8" tube up there as far as I could to unclog anything I could and still nothing.
Then I had the bright idea to use my fluid transfer pump hooked up directly to the hose to draw the oil out and into the tub...it worked perfectly! I got pretty much all 4.5 quarts out and it was simple. I used this pump that I bought at autozone PUMP (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Fluid-transfer-pump?itemIdentifier=94647)

The hose that comes with the pump does not fit over the boat drain tube...but the adapter for the hose will actually thread on the brass fitting on the drain tube and then you just press the pump on and place the drain end of the pump hose in a bucket and voila!

Anyway, just a small tip on the off chance anybody has not seen or done this.

Eric2010MCX2
05-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Good tip! I plan to do my next oil change on my own.... $135 and a 30 mile round trip to the dealer is getting to be a PITA. I know its close, but its still close to nothing I ever go to so its just out of the way.

jdhart73
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
I hear ya! I have a dealer very close but I have really gotten to know my boat inside and out between last winter and this spring with all of the work I have done. All the work has taken a lot of time and some might argue that my time cost more than having someone else do it but I am stoked to have gotten to do it, I enjoy working on the rig!

bjw444
05-16-2011, 10:51 PM
135 dollars for a oil change that takes 20 mins... thats y i do it myself for 30 dollars.

excuse to be in the garage drinking a couple beers!!!

Jeff d
05-17-2011, 12:24 AM
I got tired of waiting for mine one time so I put my thumb over the PCV valve and blew in the breather hose that goes to the air intake. It actually worked and made the oil come out faster but I got a bit of a petroleum taste in the back of my throat and a headache from all that blowing. Probably not the best idea I've had.