PDA

View Full Version : Loose Tower Speaker Can - 06 X9

OHpage21
05-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey guys,

I was cleaning up today, and noticed one of the speaker cans on the tower was loose. I got into the bolt on top of the tower, and attempted to remove the speaker. I could not get the speaker to come out of the can - didnt want to break it, or scratch the metal.

Anyone have any tips on getting the speaker out of the can? Are the 2 hex bolts on the side of the can holding in the speaker? Or are they there for another purpose?

Appreciate any advice.

CardenFam
05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
If they are the original JLs then they should have 6 or 8 socket head or (allen screws) that hold the speaker in the can on the face of the speaker.

OHpage21
05-16-2011, 10:26 PM
I think they are the original JL speakers. I got the hex screws out of the speaker grill, but couldnt get the speaker out after that. Is there anything else holding the speaker in? Or is it just those screws on the speaker face?

CantRepeat
05-17-2011, 07:13 AM
If they look like the ones below just remove the grill screws and the speakers come out. You might need to gently slide a thin flat head screw driver in between the speaker and the can to pop them loose but nothing else holds them on.

Remove the little cover on top of the tower and you will have access to the screw that holds the speakers on the tower.

http://avidboater.com/sections/client/upload/pictures/10395956488054.jpg

scharette
05-17-2011, 09:08 AM
CantRepeat, i have the same tower setup as you, wich amp are you using to drive those 4 tower speakers ? i use the JL M6600 Am to drive the 4 tower speake, the sub + 2 inboat speakers. i know its uderpowered, i will upgrade this later.

If they look like the ones below just remove the grill screws and the speakers come out. You might need to gently slide a thin flat head screw driver in between the speaker and the can to pop them loose but nothing else holds them on.

Remove the little cover on top of the tower and you will have access to the screw that holds the speakers on the tower.

http://avidboater.com/sections/client/upload/pictures/10395956488054.jpg

CantRepeat
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Sorry, that's not my boat. I was just using it to show the speakers to the OP.

Thrall
05-17-2011, 11:48 AM
The midbass drivers will come out with GENTLE pryinf after removing the screws, rem the trim ring first then the gasket will be a little stuck.
The tweeters are a different story, I don't remember the procedure off the top of my head, but it's not a s simple as removing the little T4?? torx screws and popping them out.