PDA

View Full Version : Still benched for a while.

ahhudgins
05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
I posted at the first of April that I was having some pain in one of my shoulders that I injured in a barefoot fall almost 10 years ago. I’ve taken it easy and stopped working out at the gym and I’m already 3 weeks behind in skiing this year. I went to the orthopedic doctor today and he said that the X-ray shows some “old damage in the shoulder” but he didn’t elaborate too much on that because my pain is in the front of my shoulder. After a few minutes of twisting and poking my shoulder he seemed to believe that I have a torn or inflamed bicep tendon (the same thing the gym trainer said).

He gave me a steroid shot and some prescription anti-inflammatory, told me to rest it for another 4 weeks and come back. If it’s still not back to normal he will do a MRI. Until then it’s NO weights and NO skiing! I told him that my pain is when I push something, not pull. He repeated: “No skiing unless you can do it with one arm”. I’m pretty sure that I can at least get myself up on a pair of combos with just one arm but I will have to do it when the wife isn’t there. What a way to start my summer.:(

Mgboyd25
05-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear it man my buddy who i ski with just got similar new but that he tore his peck muscle away from the shoulder. Still able to drive atleast?

ahhudgins
05-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear it man my buddy who i ski with just got similar new but that he tore his peck muscle away from the shoulder. Still able to drive atleast?

It will be hard if I just have to drive the boat and watch. Our water temps are still in the upper 50s so no one is in a big hurry to hit the water except me.

A bad clutch in our company truck is what started the pain back in March. Since then the clutch has been replaced but I started driving my personal F150 with an automatic so I won't have to shift all day long. Still don't know if the hard shifting caused the problem or the old injury and my age (49).

CantRepeat
05-16-2011, 08:24 PM
I've got so many bad parts on my body with xrays and MRIs to show 24 years worth of Army life. I finally got to the point of saying screw it. Sure I'm just doing more damage each time but I figure if I take 4 months off here and 2 or there I'll be 65 and still thinking about a come back. Just keep pushing it until it wont work anymore.

willyt
05-16-2011, 10:34 PM
surf it... can do it with just 1 or 0 arms :)

nmcjr
05-17-2011, 01:42 AM
Have you tried physical therapy? I fought a bicep tendon injury for a year and then finally went to pt and they cleared it up in about 30 days. Might be worth a shot, my experience was that it just wouldn't clear itself up and became chronic. The method they used was called Graston, which is a type of instrument assisted deep tissue work, and is painful but effective.

Fwiw I'm not a doctor but if it hurts while pushing (bench press?) it sounds more like a rotator cuff, which physical therapy can also have great success with.

DooSPX
05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear! Hopefully you can hit the water soon!

agarabaghi
05-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Hmm... i would say suck it up, but as i get older its funny how long parts of my body hurt for.

Then again i have some damaged legs

Snapped my femur wakeboarding 5 yrs ago, they installed a rode, 2 screws and a torsion pin in my hip...

Snapped my tib fib on my other leg snowboarding 2 yrs ago, 16 screws and 2 plates (8 screws on each side).

Im amazed i can still wakeboard and go inverted still!

Stick with what the doctor says

JPK
05-17-2011, 10:55 AM
If you have decent insurance get the MRI, ASAP! Why wait all that will do is delay finding out whats actually going on in your shoulder. We have the technology to see inside the shoulder and find out the true problem. The sooner you know the "real" problem the quicker you can begin to recover.

Had the same problem with my Orthopedic Dr. when I broke my clavicle in a hit from Hockey this winter. First doc had the wait and see approach when I couldn't lift my arm. Gave him the F/O and found a new doc that had an MRI done to see what was going on. In less one day I knew what was going on for sure, no more guessing or worrying. I will say the P/T for a shoulder hurts more than anything I have ever felt before.

Good luck, get well soon.

kskonn
05-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Have you tried physical therapy? I fought a bicep tendon injury for a year and then finally went to pt and they cleared it up in about 30 days. Might be worth a shot, my experience was that it just wouldn't clear itself up and became chronic. The method they used was called Graston, which is a type of instrument assisted deep tissue work, and is painful but effective.

Fwiw I'm not a doctor but if it hurts while pushing (bench press?) it sounds more like a rotator cuff, which physical therapy can also have great success with.

That technique sounds a lot like Arosti. If it is the same they use a little medal puddy knife of sorts to realign the tissue. sound the same?

It worked wonders for my wife. She fought Planter Fasciatis(sp?) for a year and resting was not working, she went to 4 appointments over 4 weeks and it has been fine ever since even with running about 35 miles a week. It was covered by insurance as physical therapy.

jbkriss
05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
OP, I suffered a shoulder injury from riding doubles on boogie boards (early 20s). Pain was in the front of the deltoid like yours. I let it go for several years until finally putting on shirts and jackets, washing my hair, was just too painful. Went to the Ortho Surgeon. He started with PT (typical, because why go to surgery without checking to see if PT will correct the problem first?). Could not find problem in the MRI. So after PT did not work, scheduled for surgery to "clean out shoulder". In surgery, a tear in labrum was discovered and fixed. That was 5 years ago and shoulder has been great ever since. Depending on your pain threshold, I would ride through the season and then address it in the next offseason. Definitely stay away from the weights for a while.

ahhudgins
05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
After listening to a few of you guys and thinking about it, I’m going to ski and see how much I can do. Of course I won’t over due it, but what’s the point in waiting another 4 weeks? There is obviously something wrong with my shoulder and I might as well have a little fun before I go back and have a MRI. I don’t see the doctor again until June 13th.
After getting the shot yesterday, my shoulder hurts so much today that I can hardly move it at all, but I know it’s supposed to get better in a few days. He gave me a big rubber band and sheet of exercises to do for PT.

I told my wife that I was going to get behind the boat this weekend and she promised that she wasn’t going to b*tch about it….but she would say “I told you so” if I hurt my shoulder any more. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

DooSPX
05-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Ha, sounds like a fair trade it me.

nmcjr
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
That technique sounds a lot like Arosti. If it is the same they use a little medal puddy knife of sorts to realign the tissue. sound the same?

It worked wonders for my wife. She fought Planter Fasciatis(sp?) for a year and resting was not working, she went to 4 appointments over 4 weeks and it has been fine ever since even with running about 35 miles a week. It was covered by insurance as physical therapy.

Yep, that's it, there are I think three techniques that are all pretty similar--they're all called IASTM as a general term with trademarked brands under that umbrella. That, combined with Dexamethazone (sort of a topical cortizone applied with ultra sound) really did wonders. I sort of feel like doctor's, especially who don't specialize in sports medicine always start with the "rest it for 6 weeks" approach, which granted there is no doubt some validity to, but from now on I will be much more proactive and go straight to PT unless I think an MRI is in order.

ahhudgins
05-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Yep, that's it, there are I think three techniques that are all pretty similar--they're all called IASTM as a general term with trademarked brands under that umbrella. That, combined with Dexamethazone (sort of a topical cortizone applied with ultra sound) really did wonders. I sort of feel like doctor's, especially who don't specialize in sports medicine always start with the "rest it for 6 weeks" approach, which granted there is no doubt some validity to, but from now on I will be much more proactive and go straight to PT unless I think an MRI is in order.

I told my doctor that my issue flared up several months ago and I had already stayed out of the weight room for the last month and I’ve stopped driving the 5 speed. I even bought a self-propelled lawn mower so I wouldn’t have to do so much pushing. I’ve taken it easy for so long that I’ve gotten terribly out of shape, but he apparently has the “wait and see attitude”. I am going to do his rubber band exercises, but I could have already been doing those with cable machines in the gym. I was hoping to get some “do’s and don’ts” from the doctor but instead I got a shot in the shoulder and a “come back in 4 weeks”. Definitely not very proactive.

ahhudgins
06-05-2011, 11:08 PM
The cortisone has worn off and I only have a small amount of pain and it only flares up when I drive the 5 speed. I've skied the last two weekends and I've taken it pretty easy. I slalomed briefly because I didn't want to over do it. I figured that if I could come up backwards on the tricks with no pain that I could tuff it out the rest of the summer. I go back on 6-13 and I'm going to tell the doctor to schedule a MRI but I won't have any surgery (if needed) until the end of the season. I'm going to start doing some lite weights in the gym this week.

plunk77
06-06-2011, 12:22 PM
i had pain in the front of my shoulder from a severely torn labrum that i did last football season. I'm benched all summer even though i had surgery because i'd rather not miss another season if i re-injure it. definitely save the surgery for after the summer because (at least for me) rehab time is 6 months

ahhudgins
06-21-2011, 11:11 PM
After several doctors visits, a cortisone shot, and a MRI last week, the doctor is 99.9% sure that my rotator cuff is OK and I just have bicep tendonitis in my shoulder. He said there is still a small chance the tendon is rolling across the shoulder, which is causing the inflammation, in which case surgery would still be an option. I’m pretty sure that shifting a 5-speed transmission every day since 1995 and then the clutch slowly going out the last few months caused the inflammation. It still bothers me hitting 3rd and 5th gear but it’s getting better.

He said that only time will tell and I shouldn’t do any shoulder exercises with weights in the gym if it causes any pain (which I can live with). He just rolled his eyes when I said I was going to continue skiing and since my rotator is OK I can start barefooting again!
Now my $5,000 insurance deductable is hurting my wallet.:(