PDA

View Full Version : Any experience shipping a boat?

kyfooter
05-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a used boat on the West Coast and having it shipped (close) to me. Any experience or suggestions? The boat is an outboard Sanger, rather rare and most often found on the west coast. I'm keeping the MC as well.

Experience or lessons learned would be appreciated.

j4rowell
05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I went with Uship.com. It's hit and miss. I had my x2 shipped 1980 miles from vegas to michigan for 700+ bucks.

SWeaver
05-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Wayne kraft. Autokrafttransport.com

Sodar
05-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Depending on the condition of the boat and how OCD you are, putting the boat on a flatbed is a nice way of hauling it.

Either way, if you decide to have it towed or hauled, get it shrink wrapped. The $200 it costs to do it will save you hours of interior cleaning when it gets to you.

Depending on where it is on the West Coast, let me know and I can help you with any arrangements... or call your dealer! :D

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/Ri1oAHRaFqI/AAAAAAAAAfg/sMV5BAvor3Q/s800/attachment.php_3.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/RkNEexVWBJI/AAAAAAAAAno/ypA1Eh6MoJo/s800/DSC01165.JPG

TallRedRider
05-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I recently saw a thread on another boatowners website where the guy had it shrinkwrapped, but it obviously was not done tight enough and it shuddered (waved back and forth) in the 75 MPH wind all the way across the country. He had substantial gel coat scuffing when he got the boat. This would not go away with simple elbow grease, so I would make sure that the shrink wrap guys know of the plans to ship it cross country and that the shipper knows to watch the wrap for any movement.

I think there is a proper way to prevent this, but I am no shrink wrap expert. Just make sure you have a good shrinkwrapper is all I am saying.

broncotw
05-16-2011, 03:05 PM
I had my current boat shipped from the east coast to Texas.... The rate was very reasonable and the guy drove straight from the Carolinas to Texas and made the trip overnight.... PM me if your interested.... I totally agree with SODAR -- get the boat shrinked wrapped! It's worth it!!!

kyfooter
05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm OCD with my MC, but the boat I'm trying to buy is a late 80s or early 90s Barefoot Sanger (outboard). Not spending big $ on it ($5k-$7k) and I'm keeping my MC. I'm looking at one near San Diego, CA. Most are in CA or Washington.

I would definitely do flat bed if it was a new boat. Not sure the price difference can be justified for a 20+ year-old boat.

Good tip on shrink wrapping.

Jason99T/A
05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I purchased my X2 in Sacramento and had it shipped to Louisiana last year. I paid close to $2k of I remember correctly. Found the shipping company through uship.com. Transaction went well. Mine was towed with the cover on and the tower shrink wrapped. Boat just took a quick wash when it got home and looked brand new.

cgrigsby
05-16-2011, 07:59 PM
I had my X45 shipped from Minn. to New Mexico in January with Ship New England. They were extremely professional and had great communication while on the road. I felt that their price was in line with uship but without the bs. Here is the best contact number and email:

ShipNewengland@gmail.com
Karen Scholl Cell 319-230-9008

Hope that helps, I know it can be an uneasy experience.

JohnE
05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
I'd look to a dealer or someone else with experience to recommend a shipper. I wouldn't trust it to just anyone on uship even on a $5K boat. Throw out the question on some forums and look for a recommendation. A few years ago the average was ~$0.90 a mile. Clearly can be had for much less these days. I'd rather pay a bit more for some piece of mind that the boat will be transported safely. I used to know a guy from Michigan who was in the biz, but he left for greener pastures.

bjw444
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
had mine shipped from San Antonio Texas to Pittsburgh pa on uship.com

less than 1000 dollars and great

10ptmust
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I used Uship as well. I didn't pick the powest price bidder due to a limited amount of feedback on them. I used a very well reviewed shipper that still had a bid in the ballpark of the lowest bidder. If it hadn't been a single day drive, I would have had the boat wrapped as well, for a long trip I think it's a good idea.

TayMC197
05-16-2011, 09:02 PM
I hauled one to Canada for Viktimize but I'm not in the mood to do that again anytime soon... fun trip though..

fentong
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
I also used Uship for mine. P/U from a Mastercraft dealer near Lake Laneer In GA and it was towed to Buffalo NY. Where I drove down and towed it across the boarder to Toronto. I think it was around $700 for the tow and it was a top notch transaction. I had the previous owner drop the boat at a MC dealer and I paid them to service the trailer before the long haul. I read way too many stories on this forum about oil filled bearings causing a lot of heartaches so I had them service the trailer and change out the oil B4 the trip. Also purchased a spare wheel / tire from the MC dealer as well just in case.

kyfooter
05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Very helpful all. Thanks for the info.