PDA

View Full Version : LED Installation

toberdorf
05-16-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm installing 2 shadowcaster LED strips in the transom of my 93 Maristar 240SC and wanted to get some advice before I start drilling holes. I'm not a huge fan of drilling holes in the hull, especially below the waterline so I want to make sure I get it right the first time. My question is this: I want to mount them outboard of the exhaust on the angled section of hull just under the swim platform (see pic) but I don't know what I'll be drilling into. That that area foam filled? It is fuel tank? I know the fuel cell is in the back but does it go down that low? From inside the boat I can see all the way aft to the transom from that center section where the motor/prop shaft and exhaust are. However, the area I'll be drilling is outboard of that "compartment" and I have no idea whats in there or if its even accessible. Any ideas? Thanks much

toberdorf
05-16-2011, 03:14 AM
Also, the lights are about 10.25" long x 2.25" tall and 0.5" thick. One hole for the power cord, 2 for the mounting screws, and it's installed.

psychobilly
05-16-2011, 03:53 AM
I have a 240SC but I ain't never been that deep in the stern cuz. I have pulled the back ski locker floor but there's the fuel tank just under it. That are you're talking about is under that and gunna be a lot of work getting to if you wanna inspect. Too bad everyone don't have a bore scope in their garage... ;-) Man post some pics on this deal and I wanna see some more pics of your SC!!!! There's a few on here but not many. If you can, PM me some stuff on that wheel you got under her. Looks like a Stainless wheel, 14"???

PITCHERS MAN!!! ;-)

toberdorf
05-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah, no kidding! I wish I had a scope in my tool box. I called a mastercraft dealer today and the service dept told me there was about 2 inches b/t the fuel cell and the hull and that I should be good to drill, just go slow...tomorrow is going to be an exciting day.. And yea, its a stainless 4 blade prop. Dunno how big it is, came with the boat when i bought it a few months ago. I'll post some more pics here shortly. Thx for the advice.

psychobilly
05-17-2011, 06:28 AM
Take a look at that wheel size for me, would ya. Do you have the 454BB Chev in her? I'm gunna be in the market for another wheel soon so I was looking fer some stats.

I can't wait to see some night time pics of those lights dude!

toberdorf
05-24-2011, 12:38 PM
The prop is a 12.5 inch stainless. Dunno the specs but she runs great. At 5k rpm with 6 people in the boat and a full tank of gas it'll run at about 47mph. And the low end torque is great for towing boarders too. And yes its a 454BB. Got the lights in on Friday. I modified where I was mounting them. Less holes in the hull, and got them a little further back on the platform. What do ya think?

toberdorf
05-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Here they are!

chawk610
05-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Wow... looks really great. I really want to do something like that... but the lights are so darn $$$$$ Did you wire them to your anchor light???

Skir68
05-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Looks SWEET! How much $$?

toberdorf
05-25-2011, 01:22 AM
I actually wired them into the water pressure switch I already had on my dash. I cut the pump wires and attached the lights to them. Then ran a separate wire from the battery (fused of course) to the water pump and installed a switch on the transom along with a shower handle. That way I didnt have to run any new wiring up to the dash and now I can rinse off on the swim platform and control the pump w/out walking all the way up to the console. And the shadowcasters are pretty pricey. Cheapest I could find was 599 each. Ridiculously expensive yes, but I love how they look.

DJ 50
05-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Looks great nice install

Matt L.
06-01-2011, 12:17 AM
The prop is a 12.5 inch stainless. Dunno the specs but she runs great. At 5k rpm with 6 people in the boat and a full tank of gas it'll run at about 47mph. And the low end torque is great for towing boarders too. And yes its a 454BB. Got the lights in on Friday. I modified where I was mounting them. Less holes in the hull, and got them a little further back on the platform. What do ya think?

47??? is that by speedo or GPS. I've got 240SC with the 454HO that according to Indmar is 425hp. Local Marine engine builder confirmed that the other day since it has the rectuangular port intake and Al intake. I'm only hitting 42, but that is fully loaded with the bimini up. May be 47 isn't that unreasonable after all.

I like the lights a lot, and the platform mount is much smarter than cutting the transom.

I've had the back seat, seat frame and fuel tank out, it's a chore both out and in.

Later,

Matt

chawk610
06-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Well...at any rate they look really good!