PDA

View Full Version : OUI's. Who's had one?

Brian B
05-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Just curious. Here in AZ OUI checkpoints are popping up all over the place. While I appreciate the drop in alcohol related accidents on our waters, these checkpoints and stops sure are a buzz kill! haha

blakehardesty
05-16-2011, 07:47 AM
My dad got one about 5 years ago here. The judge later thought it reicules and dropped it but he did start with one nontheless.

coz
05-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Just curious. Here in AZ OUI checkpoints are popping up all over the place. While I appreciate the drop in alcohol related accidents on our waters, these checkpoints and stops sure are a buzz kill! haha

I take it you were on Havasu this past weekend? I know they were out in force there but I never see them on the water at the local phoenix area lakes, they do set up DUI checkpoints at the exits of the lakes to nail you coming out. I'm all for them either way, if you're not buzzed it's not a buzz kill :D

CantRepeat
05-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Buddy of mine told me there is a real narrow point going from Havasu north to a sandbar that is about 200 feet wide and they just stop everyone going through that point. My method is to let the wife drive back to the ramp. I load the boat and she drives us home.

coz
05-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Buddy of mine told me there is a real narrow point going from Havasu north to a sandbar that is about 200 feet wide and they just stop everyone going through that point. My method is to let the wife drive back to the ramp. I load the boat snf she drives us home.

I thought I had seen this post somewhere before :D http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49445

Here's another http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49406

Dylan
05-16-2011, 11:20 AM
We were at Havasu this weekend, and the police were in full force out on the water. However, no checkpoints set up. I did see the sheriffs patrolling the launch ramps though.

coz
05-16-2011, 12:24 PM
We were at Havasu this weekend, and the police were in full force out on the water. However, no checkpoints set up. I did see the sheriffs patrolling the launch ramps though.

They had a big checkpoint on the south end of the lake, you must have missed it :D

Never thought they would set one up on the southside of the lake. Huge dealio, tons of popo, most standing around doing absolutely nothing including not helping in any way to keep your boat from banging into the docks from the waves. I had to back my boat in to the slip (that was my first drunk test). All of my passengers were holding the boat off the dock from the wind driven waves including me. Close to 10 officers surrounding my boat and nobody will help in any way. The good news is I got my blue wristband for being a sober operator.

Dylan
05-17-2011, 01:54 PM
They had a big checkpoint on the south end of the lake, you must have missed it :D

Yeah, we didn't venture past the Reservation on the south end. and took shelter in a cove. We just bought into a house out there, so information like this is good to know!

TX.X-30 fan
05-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Checkpoints are for communist countries, If they do not have Probable cause then its unconstitutional.

ShamrockIV
05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
O.U.I.???

operating under the influence??

we have B.U.I in TN

but you really got to be causing a problem to get noticed. Game Wardens carry a breathalizer on their boat.

CantRepeat
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
O.U.I.???

operating under the influence??

we have B.U.I in TN

but you really got to be causing a problem to get noticed. Game Wardens carry a breathalizer on their boat.

Crap I thought QUI was like "we" the skin mag. I post all wrong in this thread. Sorry. :D :D

Huskie05
05-17-2011, 02:22 PM
We are very careful not to drink while operating the boat, basically not big drinkers.

An OUI is basically the same as a DUI for highways correct. When someone gets an OUI do they get hauled off to jail, or is it just a ticket?

lettmeknow
05-17-2011, 03:12 PM
I got one back in 1995 or so on Lake Tahoe. We were anchored off shore watching the fireworks on fourth of July. We were boarded because my stern light was out. I got hauled off and cited for DUI eventhough the boat was not running. Key was in the ignition( as it always is) and since it was my boat, I was cited. My friend who was sober drove the boat to the ramp and hauled it back. I spent the night in the drunk tank in shorts and thats it. Was releasd in early morning and had to walk back to town barefoot along the highway. Got a stiff $2400 fine from the Coast Guard. Whole ordeal sucked, but learned my lesson at least.

Huskie05
05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I got one back in 1995 or so on Lake Tahoe. We were anchored off shore watching the fireworks on fourth of July. We were boarded because my stern light was out. I got hauled off and cited for DUI eventhough the boat was not running. Key was in the ignition( as it always is) and since it was my boat, I was cited. My friend who was sober drove the boat to the ramp and hauled it back. I spent the night in the drunk tank in shorts and thats it. Was releasd in early morning and had to walk back to town barefoot along the highway. Got a stiff $2400 fine from the Coast Guard. Whole ordeal sucked, but learned my lesson at least.

Wow... They would not even give you a ride? I can see drinking and being anchored, imagine we have all done it. Another reason to make sure all equipment is in working condition. I have seen some stuff on Lake Mead at Sand Beach that made me leave early with the kids, but just anchoring and drinking is pretty basic.

DooSPX
05-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Same on our lake here in Sebring, FL and the Potomac river up in WV. Same as DUI, jail and all the other BS.

Sodar
05-17-2011, 04:10 PM
My buddy got one coupled with being under age and it was ugly. They carted him off to jail, $10,000 in bail and if it were not for him getting a lawyer that was smart enough to argue for the OUI/DUI to not be reported to California (he received it in AZ), he would have lost his license for 6 months. The whole thing was ugly and expensive.

Ever since this happened, my whole group of friends (we were on a group trip when my buddy received his OUI) really cleaned up our act and made certain that no one is drinking and driving while on their boats. It sucked for my buddy, but the ordeal did send a message to all of us that they don't screw around with this anymore... at least around these parts.

scott023
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
My buddy got one coupled with being under age and it was ugly. They carted him off to jail, $10,000 in bail and if it were not for him getting a lawyer that was smart enough to argue for the OUI/DUI to not be reported to California (he received it in AZ), he would have lost his license for 6 months. The whole thing was ugly and expensive.

Ever since this happened, my whole group of friends (we were on a group trip when my buddy received his OUI) really cleaned up our act and made certain that no one is drinking and driving while on their boats. It sucked for my buddy, but the ordeal did send a message to all of us that they don't screw around with this anymore... at least around these parts.

Best not to screw around with it in any parts as far as I'm concerned. Putting too many peoples safety at risk when you do. :twocents:

DooSPX
05-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Best not to screw around with it in any parts as far as I'm concerned. Putting too many peoples safety at risk when you do. :twocents:

100% agree! I will not ride with or let anyone drive my boat who has been drinking. I lost a friend to a DUI. (he was drunk) BIG change since.

Sodar
05-17-2011, 04:19 PM

Try explaining this to a group of 19 year olds. Young and dumb. No doubt about it.

scott023
05-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Try explaining this to a group of 19 year olds. Young and dumb. No doubt about it.

I hear you Cam. I know it's how they young ones roll, but like you and others have said, it's a hard lesson to learn. Much harder on some than others, as there are a lot of us that have lost close friends to the stupidity.

DooSPX
05-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Ha, no doubt. I tried to tell a bunch of 18-21 year old's, they all look at me like I was stupid.... 'Till I passed by them and one getting handcuffed and carted over to the sheriff boat.:rolleyes: I'm glad too, I tried to stay well clear of them while they were underway.

ttu
05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
100% agree! I will not ride with or let anyone drive my boat who has been drinking. I lost a friend to a DUI. (he was drunk) BIG change since.

was that the accident at Grand Lake in oklahoma a few years back?

DooSPX
05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
was that the accident at Grand Lake in oklahoma a few years back?

No, this happened in Sebring, FL

It happens everyday though and its sad.

Huskie05
05-17-2011, 04:31 PM
I have lost 2 friends to DUI, one his fault, the other got hit by a DUI driver. We watch what we do on the lake and never drink and drive. Too many kids, too much at risk. I did not want to come across as preaching but I guess we are there. Its simply not worth it. It makes no sense to drink and drive, anything. When our boat is put away for the night and we are around the fire, cold beers are a mustů.

I have 2 kids that drive, I pray everyday that I never get that call from he Highway Patrol.

ahhudgins
05-17-2011, 05:48 PM

I can remember being stopped for a registration and equipment check 20 years ago and we would have several empties rolling around in the boat. Wardens would check the boat and let us go. I don't even know what the law is for VA these days, but I was told that you were not allowed have an open container in the boat while driving. I will check the law, but since a 6 pack lasts me all summer now, I'm not too concerned. :D

scott023
05-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I can remember being stopped for a registration and equipment check 20 years ago and we would have several empties rolling around in the boat. Wardens would check the boat and let us go. I don't even know what the law is for VA these days, but I was told that you were not allowed have an open container in the boat while driving. I will check the law, but since a 6 pack lasts me all summer now, I'm not too concerned. :D

You know they have a best before date, right? Wouldn't want you cracking a skunky beer. :D

SkiDog
05-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Checkpoints are for communist countries, If they do not have Probable cause then its unconstitutional.
Thats like getting stopped by the popo after a different popo shot you with the radar gun. Ask the cop if HE actually saw you speeding. If he says 'No', but my partner up the road did. Tell him 'Thats hearsay', and see what he says. probably just give you a warning.:D

ahhudgins
05-17-2011, 09:21 PM
You know they have a best before date, right? Wouldn't want you cracking a skunky beer. :D

I don't drink enough to tell the difference! I was sitting in the driveway repacking my wheel bearings when it was about 75 degrees. I figured it was hot enough outside to drink a beer while I worked on the trailer. Finished my beer and almost passed out when I stood up. I blamed it on standing up too quickly....not the fact that I can't hold my beer any more.:rolleyes:

I like a beer on the dock late at night but I drink Gatorade all day long in the boat.

DemolitionMan
05-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I had a friend get a BUI in 2001 in his PS190 after he towed the DNR's boat in after it had broke down. He registered .09 I told him he should have cut the rope between him and the DNR's boat.

blakehardesty
05-18-2011, 08:01 AM
I had a friend get a BUI in 2001 in his PS190 after he towed the DNR's boat in after it had broke down. He registered .09 I told him he should have cut the rope between him and the DNR's boat.

No way. What an @$$ that DNR was.

c_pohja
05-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Got stopped for having the orange flag up while surfing (flag in holder on tower of buddies X-15) at Lake Powell (Bullfrog Bay) a few years ago. While we were completing the safety check one of my passengers placed their been in the drive cup holder. Which placed on open container within arms reach of the driver (which is against the law in UT). Ranger saw it happen, but made me board his boat and complete “roadside” test anyway. Failed the test, but passed breathalyzer and we got off with a warning. Our solution to this problem is private ski club that is self policed by members. No cops, but get complaints lose your membership and rights (club has a waiting list of 200 people).

flipper
05-27-2011, 02:27 PM

I can't believe they hauled you off. "This your boat?" "Yes, but he (point at the sober one) is driving."