PDA

View Full Version : help me select a amp!

bjw444
05-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Hey guys im finishing up my stereo install and have a question on which amp i should buy.

I have 4 6.5 inch polk db651 component speakers in boat and will be running 4 6.5 inch tower speakers.

I was going to run a 4 channel amp to power 8 speakers.
-4 in boat speakers run in parallel on front 2 channels ( each speaker will be run at 2 ohms)
-4 tower speakers on rear channel( each speaker will be run at 2 ohms)

i was looking for a amp that will provide enough rms power for this. any suggestions i was looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-2010-ZX650-4-4CH-AMP-CAR-STEREO-ZX-AMPLIFIER-/260779550241?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item3cb7ac2621

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-10ZX350-4-CAR-AUDIO-4-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER-AMP-360W-/330556817041?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item4cf6b8be91

Any other inexpensive but good quality amps that will provide good rms power?
(yes i know wet sounds are good but no where near my budget)

thanks

Xstreamws
05-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Go to www.exileaudio.com..... You will not be disapointed..

samgreazy
05-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I just used a jl jx360.2 for my 4-clarion in boat component speakers and a jl jx 360.4 on two wetsound pro 80's the amps aren't expensive and are good amps

Jerseydave
05-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I had a car stereo guy install mine.
4 Channel Alpine PDX-F6 powering my stock 4 JL tower speakers
Stock 6 channel amp powers the sub and 6 cockpit speakers

Sound is incredible! I now have about 2 1/2 times more power to my tower speakers, nice clear sound even when wakeboarding @ 75 feet.

swatguy
05-16-2011, 03:32 PM
If you ask me you are way better off running 2 separate amps. One for the tower and one for the cabins. In order to get the power you want/need for all 8 of those speakers you are going to need one huge amp. Also with 2 amps you can adjust the settings and get way better sound quality because the tower speakers are going to need different settings than the cabin speakers. Just my .02. This will also give you the option to run the towers solo, the cabins solo, or both.

You are on the right track with the Kicker stuff. Some of the best bang for the buck.

TallRedRider
05-16-2011, 03:46 PM
If you ask me you are way better off running 2 separate amps. One for the tower and one for the cabins. In order to get the power you want/need for all 8 of those speakers you are going to need one huge amp. Also with 2 amps you can adjust the settings and get way better sound quality because the tower speakers are going to need different settings than the cabin speakers. Just my .02. This will also give you the option to run the towers solo, the cabins solo, or both.

You are on the right track with the Kicker stuff. Some of the best bang for the buck.

The specs on the ZX650.4 say that you can get 160 watts per channel at 2 ohms, so 80 per speaker...that would not be bad for the speakers you have. More is always better, but assuming that budget is a big issue here, I would go with that.

I would assume that your head unit has 2 RCA outputs on it, so you could easily use the fader on the HU or plug in an LC-1 to have quick control over your tower vs. in cabin speakers.

http://www.pac-audio.com/UserImages/LC-1.jpg

agarabaghi
05-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I picked up a syn6 for this type of setup. Basically i run 4x60 to the in cabin speakers and then bridge channel 5/6 for the tower (approx ~600watts)

bjw444
05-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the replies, the good thing about that kicker amp is that it is basically 2 separate amps in 1 housing, has adjustments for "amp1 and amp2"

Also I will be running a Polk 10" 700w rms/ 1000w peak off of a mono kicker 1000w amp

My buddie used to own a car Audio place and is still a kicker dealer so he's giving me **** rock bottom!

bjw444
05-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Oh and my head unit is a clarion m309 has 3 sets of preamp outputs( front rear and sub)

Head unit is awsome and works with remotes I already have in the boat!!

aaron.
05-16-2011, 04:57 PM
another topic that already has 300 devoted threads...
:rolleyes::confused:

EarmarkMarine
05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
This is just a generalization but anytime someone is starting from scratch they should strongly consider fullrange Class D amplifiers, particularly in a boat. Class D amplifiers are a bit more, don't hit all the price points but are more cost efficient than ever. Here are a few advantages.
A Class D amplifier is 60 percent more efficient than a Class AB.
A Class AB will create 250 percent more heat from the power it consumes and 400 percent more in heat from the power that it delivers versus a Class D amplifier.
A Class D amplifier will produce 60 percent more power than a Class AB from the same available current draw.
As more current is drawn, voltage certainly sags. As the voltage drops, unregulated amplifiers produce less output power. A drop from 14.4 volts supply (where many amplifiers are rated) to 12.5 volts supply constitutes a 25 percent reduction in output power. Unregulated Class AB amplifiers consume more current, create greater voltage drops and deliver less output power.
You will need far more battery reserves to run a Class AB amplifier system at rest when compared to a Class D system.
A Class AB system will draw more alternator current resulting in more resistance and consume slightly more horsepower to run at the same amplitude level as a Class D system. The same scenerio applies to the current draw of depleted batteries after a long period of rest. And, Class AB amplifiers played at the same amplitude and for the same period at rest as Class D amplifiers will cycle the batteries deeper. Even deep cycle batteries have an inordinately lower tolerance for fewer deeper cycles than they have for many more quantity of shallower cycles. Its not a linear ratio.
So with the cost of fuel and batteries taken into consideration over many weekends over several seasons this does tend to minimize the cost difference. Then you're are simply left with all the other advantages of Clas D amplifiers.
Any way you slice it...its becoming harder to justify anything that is less energy efficient.

David
Earmark Marine