PDA

View Full Version : Button down cover or full boat cover?

rslong50
05-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I have a 98 Prostar 205 with a collapsable tower. Currently I have a cover that only works with the tower down. This is not ideal for day to day use. I'm considering having the button down bow and cockpit covers installed but am fearful of microfractures around the snaps on the boat. What do you all prefer here and why? Thanks!

cf_koch
05-15-2011, 09:37 PM
On our boat we put the snaps into the under side of the rub rail and this has worked great. No stress on the glass and they are nearly invisable when you look at the boat.

east tx skier
05-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Www.theprocover.com.

I'll never own a different kind of cover.

rslong50
05-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Www.theprocover.com.

I'll never own a different kind of cover.

I do like the looks of that. Does it just tie together at the back? I do have a tower which is attached above the rubber line. Does that mean this cover will not work or do you think an upholster can create some cut outs?

east tx skier
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
There are a series of wide velcro hooks along each side of this cover as well as a grab rail strap and four more hooks at the transom. Those, in combination with a ratchet/turnbuckle tightened draw string make this cover drum tight, trailerable, and not requiring poles to prevent pooling. They are custom made to order and can be made to go around tower legs. I've posted this picture a few times. So what's one more time.

You can see where the hooks velcro into the cover along the side.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_1gl9obJSimU/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/qJLiJ-DShYk/s912/IMAG0050.jpg

Here's how it attaches at the transom.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_1gl9obJSimU/St_WPJ6HR6I/AAAAAAAACfU/WRuHzS5vJfM/Cover2.JPG

tg190
05-17-2011, 10:37 AM
East Tx Skier thanks for the link! kicking myself for spending $400 on a cover that i hate...just emailed procover for a quote.

ttu
05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
i had one of those covers when i had my 05 supra ssv. by far the best cover ever made!

Ski-me
05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Nice to see your boat Eastie.......

Sharp lookin! Looks just as clean as your old one. You do like red :D

amesgardner
05-24-2011, 06:00 PM
There are a series of wide velcro hooks along each side of this cover as well as a grab rail strap and four more hooks at the transom. Those, in combination with a ratchet/turnbuckle tightened draw string make this cover drum tight, trailerable, and not requiring poles to prevent pooling. They are custom made to order and can be made to go around tower legs. I've posted this picture a few times. So what's one more time.

You can see where the hooks velcro into the cover along the side.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_1gl9obJSimU/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/qJLiJ-DShYk/s912/IMAG0050.jpg

Here's how it attaches at the transom.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_1gl9obJSimU/St_WPJ6HR6I/AAAAAAAACfU/WRuHzS5vJfM/Cover2.JPG

I too have just contacted them via email. But I wonder if the tower will compromise how tight you can get the cover?

rslong50
05-24-2011, 10:41 PM
I too have just contacted them via email. But I wonder if the tower will compromise how tight you can get the cover?

I'm wondering the same thing. Will they also customize cut outs for tie down cleats?

east tx skier
05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
I think he will customize it however you like for a price. There are a lot of guys on planet Nautique that have these covers on boats with towers. Go have a look and see what you think. No experience with towers and covers. So I can't comment.

amesgardner
05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I think he will customize it however you like for a price. There are a lot of guys on planet Nautique that have these covers on boats with towers. Go have a look and see what you think. No experience with towers and covers. So I can't comment.

thanks east tx. will check out planet nautique and hope they email me back.

Jorski
05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey Eastie,

Which sunbrella color is your cover made out of???

Looks great, by the way!

Tomi
08-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Hi,

I asked Cover Sports about a cover for my 2003 Prostar 190 and they replied that they have models up to 2000 and I should ask MC if deck and windshield pattern has changes from 2000 to 2003.

So, does anyone know if it has changed or where from MC could this be asked from?

-Tomi

amesgardner
08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi,

I asked Cover Sports about a cover for my 2003 Prostar 190 and they replied that they have models up to 2000 and I should ask MC if deck and windshield pattern has changes from 2000 to 2003.

So, does anyone know if it has changed or where from MC could this be asked from?

-Tomi

If they dont know it; I would stay away from them.....

Tomi
08-21-2011, 04:30 PM

That would be my gut feeling too. But quite surprisingly this seems like a pattern with MC stuff. The windshield OEM manufacturer does not know what elements would go to my boat, cover maker (admittedly not OEM) does not know what cover fits my boat, etc. etc. Everybody asks me to find out these details from MC who naturally does not respond to any inquiries. What's up with that? Based on my earlier experiences when living out there, I was expecting more. Well, one usually can then rely on the forum members when manufacturers are clueless. And I have only owned this boat for 2 weeks so there is still plenty time to prove me wrong. Maybe my timing is off? And the boat is simply fantastic!

-Tomi

amesgardner
08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
The cover places I contacted new exactly the dimension of my 2002. The MC dealers I work with are very familiar with mine. Your is a sweet boat for sure.

east tx skier
08-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey Eastie,

Which sunbrella color is your cover made out of???

Looks great, by the way!

Sorry I didn't see this before. I assume you mean the color. That is "Jockey Red." Red is a $50 upcharge at least (pretty standard---it's just more expensive to source).

east tx skier
08-21-2011, 06:50 PM

I have seen a cover that Brent did based on measurements alone (and the boat had a tower) and it was picture perfect.

tommcat
08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
I just got a quote from them for my 97 205 with tower. it's $825 for the cover but they have to partially finish it and then ship it to me so i can make some cuts and marks on it for the tower relief holes and then ship it back for them to finish it. with shipping being around 80-90 bucks each way that brings the total to a little under a thousand.
looks like a great cover but for that money it's going to have to wait awhile, i just had the whole boat re gelcoated so my pockets are empty right now.