PDA

View Full Version : Orange LED's anyone?

StuSX
05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Looking to add a orange LED strip above my cup holders on each side and hook it into my CTSY light switch.

Is the 6 inch strip going too be too bright?

Anyone have a nighttime pic of orange LED's in their boat? My boat is orange, so that's why I picked it.. plus orange and yellow are supposed to be non bug attracting.

Thanks!

StuSX
05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
No one has orange LED's?

BriEOD
05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Blue here.

willyt
05-17-2011, 10:27 AM
stu,
i have a black and orange X2, and was looking for orange LEDs but couldnt find them anywhere.... guess its not a popular color. I instead went with blue.

agarabaghi
05-17-2011, 10:28 AM
white, which is a light blue. I feel it is more pleasant on the eyes than the color leds.

EarmarkMarine
05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Orange LEDs are readily available. And, they are one of the brighter colors.
White, yellow, orange, red, green, blue, teal, purple (black lite) and plum are common.
There is no true bright 'yellow' in LEDs as they are amber.
That's the general rundown.

David
Earmark Marine

StuSX
05-17-2011, 03:21 PM
EarMark- is the 6 inch strip going to be too bright, or should I do the 3 inch? Going under the gunnels...

EarmarkMarine
05-17-2011, 08:10 PM
StuSX,
All LED lighting should be used indirectly or through a frosted diffuser or opaque lens. So if used correctly I don't look at it from a brightness standpoint as much as a coverage standpoint. Unless a light strip is curved around a radius like an acrylic light ring then the pattern is rather directional. Other types of light fixtures have a wider distribution pattern built in because of how the individual LEDs are aimed. So when we use strips we do so because we want maximum light and we install the strip in a concealed and indirect manner in the top of a coaming pocket. Usually the length of the strip approximates the length of the pocket or we may use two smaller and slightly separated strips for greater coverage.

David
Earmark Marine

StuSX
05-18-2011, 08:25 AM
So up underneath the gunnel shooting down at the cupholders.. does that count as concealed and indirect, or should I get the smaller 4 led pods and do two in each gunnell vs the single strip?

willyt
05-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Guys -
Reason i said i didnt think the orange LEDs are common was i couldnt find the strips i'm planning on making the speaker rings out of in orange...

do you have a supplier for this? would love to get my hands on some orange since the boat is orange

StuSX
05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Earmark Marine....

www.earmarkmarine.com

ashaker
05-18-2011, 07:16 PM
I just purchased some pre-wired 12V LED lights on Ebay and will post after installation. I got them in white to match the rest of the courtesy lights in the boat.

jdeml
05-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Ive done 3 boats with leds and the brighter the better in my opinion. currently running 2 sets with a toggle on my xstar. uv purple and amber with both on I can represent the vikings. hah