PDA

View Full Version : pink fluid

curtisco24
05-15-2011, 07:48 PM
2000 xstar recently purchased has pink trans fluid. It shifts fine. However, this does not seem normal to me. Any ideas?

JimN
05-15-2011, 08:03 PM
2000 xstar recently purchased has pink trans fluid. It shifts fine. However, this does not seem normal to me. Any ideas?

Private owner, or dealer? Either way, I would go back to them and get them to make an adjustment on the price. If they said everything is OK, they either don't know it's not or they think this is normal. I have talked to people who thought that water in the gear oil of an outboard or I/O is normal until I explained why it's not.

It needs to be changed ASAP. Check the oil cooler for leaks- you'll need to remove it but if you do that while you're changing the transmission fluid, it's not as much of a mess. You can go to any radiator shop or you can buy some brass fittings and check it yourself. You'll need a brass plug (NPT, whatever the diameter is) a brass fitting that will accept a Shrader valve and an adapter to make those two fit in the other hole. Once they're threaded in and snug, use a tire pump or fill it to relatively low pressure using a compressor and put it in a bucket of water. If you see bubbles, it's leaking and will need to be repaired. If you see no air bubbles, increase the pressure a little and try it again- you don't want to pressurize it too much- 15-20 psi should be fine. If you still don't see bubbles, make sure the rear transmission seal isn't painted black. IIRC, the '99 or 2000 model year had an issue with leaking because the seal was painted and that kept it from being elastic enough to seal well. You can check for leaks by placing a paper towel under the seal and letting it sit but you'll need to change the tranny fluid first and make sure it's clear.

In order:
1. Check the oil cooler
A. repair if necessary
2. Change the fluid- this won't go away by changing it once- buy a gallon of fluid to keep the cost/quart lower.
3. Check for leaks
A. Repair as necessary

curtisco24
05-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the help. Its bought from an individual so there is little recourse other than to fix it.

JimN
05-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the help. Its bought from an individual so there is little recourse other than to fix it.

I would at least talk to him about it. If he presented it as being in normal operating condition, he either didn't think it was a problem or didn't know about it. Usually, the person knows but if you got the impression that he doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to pound on, he may not have a clue.

When I was servicing boats and doing car audio, I got tired of being lied to when I would ask if something happened, so I started asking when it happened. I usually got a "caught with a hand in the cookie jar" look because they didn't know how it was possible to be sure of what happened without being there, so if you do talk to him, ask when the transmission fluid started turning pink.

G-Star
05-17-2011, 06:31 PM
As a side note, I believe Indmar has changed the recommended fluid for the ZF Hurth V-Drive unit from ATF to 15W-40 engine oil. Do you have the ZF Hurth or the Walters unit?

Also, I assume you mean that your transmission fluid is milky/cloudy pink, not translucent reddish-pink? Translucent reddish-pink could be "normal". Anything cloudy is bad.

wakescene
05-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Check the color as g-star says. The translucent is correct for the color. IIRC Indmar only recommends changing over the trans fluid to engine oil if you are having shifting problems.

curtisco24
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
oh its definately pink. We called the guy and he says he has no idea when it turned pink. Nice guy but i don't think he knows alot about boats.