PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Help: Norris or Douglas Lake

mrhays9
05-15-2011, 04:43 PM
My wife and I are planning on pulling the boat down from Lexington, KY to either Norris or Douglas Lake. My family from Mississippi is driving up to meet us. The wife and I could be happy wakeboarding all week and grabbing a drink or two from the marinas/restaurants.

My sister has two small children one 5 years and the other 1 year. My family would like to have a few other things around to do. I think Douglas may be good for giving them other things to do. A house on the lake with a dock is a must. Don't want to launch the boat more than once any information would be greatly appreciated.

bbymgr
05-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I have vacationed on both lakes, Norris in 2005 and Douglas in 2008. Norris is a beautiful lake, but it seemed like there were a ton of snakes. Maybe it was just a bad year for them, but at any given time you could stand on the dock and count a dozen or so. Also, Norris is a little more isolated. Douglas was very clean and only saw a couple of snakes the whole week. If you are looking for some family activities, Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is only a 15 to 20 minute drive from the West end of Douglas. Here is a picture I took on Douglas at 12 noon on a Saturday.

73blue
05-15-2011, 05:24 PM
A friend of mine rents a couple cabins on Douglas. Here is a link to one. Its 7br on a point with a dock. Its also located a little ways off the main channel. Normally during the week you'll have good riding right off the dock.

http://www.lakefrontcabins.com/wordpress/?page_id=599

SchuyHigh
05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I am in Louisville and we were Cumberland people. We went to Norris 4 years ago on the way to Gatlinburg and have not been back to Cumberland since. Enjoy and let me know if you would like any ideas on where to stay.

UrbantuxTN
05-15-2011, 07:00 PM
If you are looking for things to do off the lake, I would definitely lean towards Douglas. Norris is isolated from pretty much everything. Of course you could always hit the museum of Appalachia. Douglas is closer to pigeon forge / gatlinburg where you can find just about anything to do.

mrhays9
05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
That sounds great. I think Norris would be perfect if it was just grown ups. I think with the small kids we will be heading to Douglas. Which I think will be perfect. We normally boat on Laurel River Lake in Kentucky.

We are new to kentucky so we have only been on two lakes in the area cumberland and laurel. We had also considered meeting my family at Dale Hollow or Barkley/Kentucky Lake. Dale Hollow is outta the question since we couldn't get a house on the lake. If anyone has other ideas that are in reasonable driving distance I'm all ears.

I just don't have much information since we haven't lived in the area for long so any and all is appreciated.

bbymgr
05-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Here is a site for lake home rentals on Douglas.

http://www.mountainstosea.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19&zenid=c829b2b31bc6e24cc5a771aeecff4a3e