PDA

View Full Version : Refurb HiFly strap

JJMorris3
05-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Ok guys. Open season on me... for wise comments on this rig job.
This hi-fly / boom combo came with the boat when I bought it a couple of years ago. I imagine it was an accessory at purchase time in 94?! The re-inforcement to give it strength was a slim 1 inch strap, and it showed major signs of wear and I was worried about it breaking and hurting someone badly (understatement of the year) every time we used it.
These pix show the crazy rig job I did to address it. I used a 2 inch recovery strap rated at 22K lbs and 3/4 inch flexible non-metal electrical conduit for "shock protection" in case of breakage and to provide a smooth surface for brushing up against and grabbing onto while moving around the boat.
I know it will stretch a bit, but I have it adjusted so an adult has to lean on the pole for me to clip it in place.
Short of getting a new/current new fly high, does anyone see any reason this won't work for for me? I know it's not too flashy.
I will trim the excess strap at the top once i've been out a few times and I know its adjusted to the right length.

JimN
05-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Ok guys. Open season on me... for wise comments on this rig job.
This hi-fly / boom combo came with the boat when I bought it a couple of years ago. I imagine it was an accessory at purchase time in 94?! The re-inforcement to give it strength was a slim 1 inch strap, and it showed major signs of wear and I was worried about it breaking and hurting someone badly (understatement of the year) every time we used it.
These pix show the crazy rig job I did to address it. I used a 2 inch recovery strap rated at 22K lbs and 3/4 inch flexible non-metal electrical conduit for "shock protection" in case of breakage and to provide a smooth surface for brushing up against and grabbing onto while moving around the boat.
I know it will stretch a bit, but I have it adjusted so an adult has to lean on the pole for me to clip it in place.
Short of getting a new/current new fly high, does anyone see any reason this won't work for for me? I know it's not too flashy.
I will trim the excess strap at the top once i've been out a few times and I know its adjusted to the right length.

I don't know what the black rope is for but the real FlyHi passes through the bow eye and pulls into the boat in a way that won't cause failure. You have yours attached to the lifting ring, which was put there for lifting straight up, not on an angle and if you look at the third photo, you can see that the eye has moved toward the pole already. Theoretically, it shouldn't be a problem but when a boarder is digging in hard, it's a lot of stress on the that area in a direction that was never intended.

If it's a real Fly-Hi brand pole from Barefoot lnternational, you should be able to get a replacement strap from them.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
You can save a few bucks by getting a correct size sling to go through the bow eye without giving anything up on the safety end. Barefoot Intl. is pretty proud of their replacement parts, but I would at least get the correct ratchet strap from them.

JJMorris3
05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Two excellent, valuable responses. Teamtalk rules. Thank you.
Black ropes are dock lines and threaded up there for trailering.
The lifting ring has indeed shifted back towards the stern. I will likely get a bow harness like in the response. Maybe I should just spend the $ and get a total new fly high. It does come down to safely of the family. Thanks again guys.

JimN
05-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Two excellent, valuable responses. Teamtalk rules. Thank you.
Black ropes are dock lines and threaded up there for trailering.
The lifting ring has indeed shifted back towards the stern. I will likely get a bow harness like in the response. Maybe I should just spend the $ and get a total new fly high. It does come down to safely of the family. Thanks again guys.

If the pole is OK, I would just get the straps and cable. It shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Starshack
05-16-2011, 07:23 PM
My bow strap was missing and I fabricated one out of coated aircraft cable. I run it through the bow eye and then tension with the fly high tensioner. It was inexpensive as I already had the swagging tool ($60). The person before me used the lifting eye and it was all bent up - around the bow is the best. Mine looks like the one on the Stars & Stripes - yours does not look like an official Barefoot International pole but may be an older model.

Thrall
05-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Or get a short nylon rigging strap from a const supply place for the bow strap. Will be at least a s strong as what comes with the fly high ploes.