PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of charging for ski lessons

silverblueBP
05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I've been tossing around an idea and would like to hear any suggestions. My nephews are all gone to college and there are no more neighbor kids left to go skiing, just me and my wife. We both love spending time at the lake, especially teaching newbs how to ski/wakeboard.

I'm thinking of offering to the general public ski time, whether it be beginning lessons for skis, wakeboard or even barefoot or offering just normal ski by the hour/day. It would be a way to spend more time behind the wheel and on the water, spreading good boating fun.

I have an extended pole, wakeboard rack, boom and ropes for skiing and wakeboading. I have combo skis, slalom ski, wakeboard and kiddie starter skis. I already have a few wetsuits and lots of life jackets in all diff sizes. I don't mind if the boat gets dirty from food, etc...

I absolutely enjoy teaching people/kids how to ski, been doing it off and on for almost 30 years. I'm not doing it as a full or even part time job (although it would be nice), just thinking of a way to spread the fun and maybe pay for the upkeep on the boat. I'll need to talk to my attorney and see what kind of liability or forms would be needed.

At this point, it's just an idea. All opinions are welcome!

JimN
05-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I've been tossing around an idea and would like to hear any suggestions. My nephews are all gone to college and there are no more neighbor kids left to go skiing, just me and my wife. We both love spending time at the lake, especially teaching newbs how to ski/wakeboard.

I'm thinking of offering to the general public ski time, whether it be beginning lessons for skis, wakeboard or even barefoot or offering just normal ski by the hour/day. It would be a way to spend more time behind the wheel and on the water, spreading good boating fun.

I have an extended pole, wakeboard rack, boom and ropes for skiing and wakeboading. I have combo skis, slalom ski, wakeboard and kiddie starter skis. I already have a few wetsuits and lots of life jackets in all diff sizes. I don't mind if the boat gets dirty from food, etc...

I absolutely enjoy teaching people/kids how to ski, been doing it off and on for almost 30 years. I'm not doing it as a full or even part time job (although it would be nice), just thinking of a way to spread the fun and maybe pay for the upkeep on the boat. I'll need to talk to my attorney and see what kind of liability or forms would be needed.

At this point, it's just an idea. All opinions are welcome!

Make sure you have a lot of insurance for any situation, regardless of how ridiculous it may seem.

east tx skier
05-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Make sure you have a lot of insurance for any situation, regardless of how ridiculous it may seem.

Done in one. If you're operating a ski school business, it's a whole different "for hire" type of policy.

Jerseydave
05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I looked into it as a part time venture also, maybe just 2-3 days a week for a short 5 month season.
First you need a captain's license. And your boat is now considered commercial not recreational.

Insurance costs put a stop to that business venture, way too much $$ and you still are open to liability if someone gets hurt. If you offer tubing it's even worse! Apparently a lot of injuries happen when kids go tubing.

Teach your friends and neighbors for free and enjoy!
Or better yet, go work part time at a summer camp.

broncotw
05-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Just remember that NO ONE will treat your boat and equipment the way you do! I have taken a few ski lessons before and the boats were full of chips, scratches, and dings.... I cannot speak about their equipment because I used my own... Just another thing to think about... I also love teaching and spending time on the water.... I am fortunate because I have 14 nieces and nephews....

silverblueBP
05-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Good info so far!!

SkiDog
05-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Good info so far!!

So have they talked you out of it yet?:D

silverblueBP
05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
This is a fact finding mission and there's some good stuff so far! It gives me a lot of new info to ponder, but It's not looking good.

atlfootr
05-15-2011, 10:19 PM
This will only add to it ... :noface::noface::noface::noface:
Good Luck in your endeavors, be sure to let us know what you find out.
It may not be that bad, but then again who knows?

Call USA WATER SKI Head Quarters Monday morning
(863) 324-4341
USA Water Ski's Membership Department
(863) 324-4341 .
1251 Holy Cow Road
Polk City, Florida 33868
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST.

and ask to speak w/ someone in Memberships / Ski Schools
they'll be a great deal of help, more than you'll ever find here on the board.

Ask them about the Insurance Coverage Policy

2011 USA Water Ski Club Insurance Program
(for Club Activities and Exposures not covered as
part of a USA Water Ski sanctioned event)
Insurance Resources

Sanctioned Events Program Club
Insurance Program Club D&0
Program Coaches Liability Insurance
Coverage Highlights/FAQs (http://www.usawaterski.org/graphics/downloads/InsuranceResources/CoachesLiability/CoachesLiabilityInsuranceCoverageHighlightsandFAQs .pdf)

If there was a huge market of Ski Schools, we'd probably have more ...

2011 USA Water Ski Affiliated Schools Jack Travers International Tournament Skiing -- Groveland, Florida (http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/schools/2011/internationaltournamentskiing.htm)
Lucky Lowe Ski School -- Lake Alfred, Florida (http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/schools/2011/luckylowe.htm)

pmkkdx
05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
I too checked into starting something of this nature back in the 90s ... just way to cost prohibitive and the liability issues outweigh the pros. I went so far as to contact an attorney on the matter, and he highly advised me against going forward. No matter how much insurance and legal liability waivers you have signed by the participants, there is just too much "other" stuff outside your control that make all those forms not worth the paper it's written on when a claim or lawsuit gets to the court system. It could have been a good sideline business, but I am not the lucky type to begin with, so if something could go wrong, I would be the poster child.

silverblueBP
05-16-2011, 05:20 PM
So, you guys have convinced me to open up a ski school, Thanks.

Seriously, thanks for the input, I'll go back to skiing with wifey and leave the paid teaching to the lunatics.

TxsRiverRat
05-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Are you a pro skier/boarder, or at least a national skier? Do you have access to totally private water?

If nor, think you’re better off charging people for gas, accepting tips for the lessons and forget about it.

FYI – you can minimize the wear and tear on your boat – the ski can get loaded onto the platform from the dock and never make it onto the boat.