PDA

View Full Version : steep ramp launching

garretwg
05-15-2011, 02:01 PM
I have a 2003 PS 190 with a tandem trailer and its a way bigger chore to pull it out of the water due to the fact our ramp is quite steep. Our previous 1997 PS was easy but the newer boat is lower at the back and makes it quite different. Has anyone modified winch post or bow cradle to accomodate this? What I have to do now is sink the trailer much deeper than I would like.

nmcjr
05-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I too used to have trouble with steeper launch ramps and felt like I had to go very deep to get the boat buddy in the right place, ie below the rub rail. In fact what I found was that I was going in too deep so the bow cradle couldnt lift the bow into place. So, I started backing in to a shallower position and that did the trick. It's a little counter intuitive, but basically I found I had to keep the bow cradle further out of the water for it to do it's thing. If the boat is floating above the bow cradle it won't hit the boat buddy right.

As a side note I used to use the fenders as a visual, but around the same time i discovered the above I switched to using the front of the bunks as my visual. So, now I back in to where the tips of the bunks are just barely visible above the water and it works perfectly regardless of how steep the ramp is.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-16-2011, 12:07 AM
99 times out of 100 if you are having problems at the boat launch you are in too deep.

Jerseydave
05-16-2011, 05:37 PM
At this one steep ramp that I've used in the past, I have to actually put the trailer in so deep that the boat guides go under water. Otherwise my X-star bow hits the spare tire and tried to go under the boat buddy. Putting the boat in shallow does not work for me, too much bunk out of the water and the boat won't "power up" on the trailer at that steep angle.

Somebody has to hold the stern straight while I slowly pull up the ramp. Other than that it's not a difficult task. I would not modify the trailer just for one steep ramp.

ShamrockIV
05-16-2011, 05:46 PM
we may have the steepest ramps in the country at Center hill. my last boat the 209 was a bear to load and unload. a buddy has the same model 209 and has the same problem. i say go more shallow with the trailer. about an inch of water over the fenders

J NORRIS
05-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I have a 2001 PS209, single axle, and all I do is go back until the top of the fender is even with the water surface. Never a problem, even on a steep ramp. And I do use the Boat Buddy when loading also. If dual axle, it may be different. Hope this helps.

jss101
05-16-2011, 07:46 PM
One of the few things I miss from my stern-drive Sea Ray (that I traded for my 205V) was the good old roller trailer! A roller trailer just takes all of the trouble out of retreiving at the launch ramp. Hell, you could basically always just winch her on if you had to. These bunk trailers don't offer that. You've got to get things lined up right to get the boat on in the right place.

Ah, well, nothing's perfect!

JohnE
05-16-2011, 08:31 PM
My limited experience with a steep ramp was at Lake Wylie. Fenders barely submerged and it clicked right in.

On a side note, I have had problems at shallow ramps. I find I need to get the trailer deep enough to drive the boat up 3/4 the way then pull forward a bit in order to engage the boat buddy. If I don't, the nose stays too low and the bow eye won't hit the boat buddy

TX.X-30 fan
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
99 times out of 100 if you are having problems at the boat launch you are in too deep.

On very steep ramps you have to bury the trailer and then move it up once you clear the bow V deal.

Barefooter92
05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
I too have the steep ramp issue. Only have to deal with it once a year due to the boat sitting on the shore station all summer.

I have my driver set the trailer in so the V bunk is exposed and load the boat as normal PS205 on a single axle. I then hook the boat to the winch and cut the motor. I have the driver back in so the guide poles are about 12" below water I then hand winch the boat to the boat buddy and lock it in. I then have the driver slowly pull out as I guide the stern between the guide posts. Kinda PITA but like I said very limited times per year.

DJ 50
05-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm sure this is a stupid question but what is the boat buddy? Is that the locking pin on my trailer that locks the boat in place?

BROUSSARD
05-16-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm sure this is a stupid question but what is the boat buddy? Is that the locking pin on my trailer that locks the boat in place?

Yes..............why yes it is

thatsmrmastercraft
05-17-2011, 01:13 AM
On very steep ramps you have to bury the trailer and then move it up once you clear the bow V deal.

I'm sure my Stars & Stripes is much more forgiving than some of the larger Mastercrafts. Doesn't matter too much how shallow or steep the ramp. As long as I have some of the fenders on my tandem sticking out of the water, all I have to do is idle up and give her a little juice and I set.

ShamrockIV
05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
My limited experience with a steep ramp was at Lake Wylie. Fenders barely submerged and it clicked right in.

On a side note, I have had problems at shallow ramps. I find I need to get the trailer deep enough to drive the boat up 3/4 the way then pull forward a bit in order to engage the boat buddy. If I don't, the nose stays too low and the bow eye won't hit the boat buddy

lol lake wylie is pretty much flat johne lol.
our ramps in tn are a good 30 degrees or more and water gets really deep that fast