PDA

View Full Version : Bats!

Sullivan
05-15-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a problem with bats in our boat house. We have 3 197s, an MB and a Lxi in the same boat house. For some reason the bats like my slip and I end up either getting bat crap and pee all over my boat or I have to cover it with the cover and a tarp.

Are there any ways of getting the darn bats out of our boat house. We can't seal the boat house up because we lift the boats out of the water and the platforms hang below the roll up garage doors. This leaves about a 2 foot space below the bottom of the door to the water level.

Skir68
05-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Hang a bug zapper in there, they will leave

DemolitionMan
05-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Garlic and some holy water.j/k:D Try some moth balls.

Skir68
05-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Garlic and some holy water.j/k:D Try some moth balls.

LOL!!!! :D

Sullivan
05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Moth balls, really? I can see using the bug zapper to eliminate the food source. What is it about Moth balls that bats don't like?

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm willing to try anything.

gatorguy
05-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Try one of those big plastic owls. All the houseboats on lake Powell have them. I don't know if they actually work though.

DemolitionMan
05-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Moth balls, really? I can see using the bug zapper to eliminate the food source. What is it about Moth balls that bats don't like?

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm willing to try anything.

Ok did some more searching on the moth balls. Maybe not a good idea says you have to use so much that it could be harmful to humans. The bug zapper seems like a good idea.

TX.X-30 fan
05-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Garlic?.....

Sullivan
05-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Vampires!!!!!!!!

Mgboyd25
05-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I have a problem with bats in our boat house. We have 3 197s, an MB and a Lxi in the same boat house. For some reason the bats like my slip and I end up either getting bat crap and pee all over my boat or I have to cover it with the cover and a tarp.

Are there any ways of getting the darn bats out of our boat house. We can't seal the boat house up because we lift the boats out of the water and the platforms hang below the roll up garage doors. This leaves about a 2 foot space below the bottom of the door to the water level.

Just move the LXI where your boat is currently

thatsmrmastercraft
05-15-2011, 02:23 PM

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

broncotw
05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Don't bats like to roost in dark places???? Maybe install a few flood lights to brighten the place up!

Covi
05-15-2011, 03:20 PM

That's good!!!!!! Funny stuff right there!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Don't bats like to roost in dark places???? Maybe install a few flood lights to brighten the place up!

Other things to mess with their senses would be some pennants strung where they hang out.

CantRepeat
05-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Chicken wire?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Pellet rifle:D

ahhudgins
05-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Try one of those big plastic owls. All the houseboats on lake Powell have them. I don't know if they actually work though.

The plastic owls are supposed to scare the smaller nesting birds away. I'm having a terrible problem with squirrels at the lake house so I'm going to try a couple owls and see if it helps.

I don't know how to get rid of the bats. My guess is that they are roosting in the ceiling? You may have to get some kind of netting to keep them from getting above the boats. I guess bats have it figured out, but it seems pretty nasty to pee and poop hanging upside down :rolleyes:

jipster43
05-15-2011, 09:40 PM
You can purchase or build "bat houses" and place them where you want them. Bats are pretty sweet to have around as long as they're not putting their guano on your prostar! Bats are a protected species, so you'll want to be careful with your mitigation techniques or who you mention them to, but I've heard that tacking up glue traps in their roosting place works pretty good too.

JP :)

ahhudgins
05-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Chicken wire?

That's what I was thinking.

JimN
05-15-2011, 09:54 PM
The plastic owls are supposed to scare the smaller nesting birds away. I'm having a terrible problem with squirrels at the lake house so I'm going to try a couple owls and see if it helps.

I don't know how to get rid of the bats. My guess is that they are roosting in the ceiling? You may have to get some kind of netting to keep them from getting above the boats. I guess bats have it figured out, but it seems pretty nasty to pee and poop hanging upside down :rolleyes:

Last time I saw one of those plastic owls was on the roof at an Epic dealership. A hawk was sitting on its head.

TxsRiverRat
05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Use that real tacky fly paper, then u can torture them before disposal

Huskie05
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Last time I saw one of those plastic owls was on the roof at an Epic dealership. A hawk was sitting on its head.

That is really fowl.

ski_king
05-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Good luck on getting the bats from roosting there.

I have a problem on the porch of my house, they like to roost at night directly above my front door. Every morning I have bat crap to sweep off. I can tell you the owl dosn't work.

I have also tried moth ball, mouse traps (that worked twice!), fly paper.

I also hate to kill them as they do help keep the bugs down, but I have found spraying them with hornet spray drops them from there roost almost instantly.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Good luck on getting the bats from roosting there.

I have a problem on the porch of my house, they like to roost at night directly above my front door. Every morning I have bat crap to sweep off. I can tell you the owl dosn't work.

I have also tried moth ball, mouse traps (that worked twice!), fly paper.

I also hate to kill them as they do help keep the bugs down, but I have found spraying them with hornet spray drops them from there roost almost instantly.

Way too funny :D

DemolitionMan
05-16-2011, 07:07 PM
You should call Billy the exterminator.:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
05-16-2011, 07:11 PM

That's kinky..........

pmkkdx
05-16-2011, 07:27 PM
(ROFL at the owl idea for bats ... bats are BLIND!!! :cool: (or almost) ... they can't see the fake owl ) ...

best to make the areas less desirable by mounting lights, hanging aluminum foil, balloons, windsocks, windchimes or other highly visible and mobile objects that will make the area appear bright, loud and/or busy. also install fiberglass insulation in the areas they use for nesting....

put out a bat house to encourage them to move out of your boat house!

moth balls would be effective but if used in large quantities could create a health hazard for yourself / friends / pets (not to mention the smell that would permiate your boat).

just a little internet research I found while in a boring teleconference this afternoon :rolleyes:

ahhudgins
05-16-2011, 07:29 PM
How about ceiling fans on high speed?:D

CantRepeat
05-16-2011, 07:32 PM
How about ceiling fans on high speed?:D

I like where this is headed. Get video please.

Riddler
05-16-2011, 08:27 PM

I have a problem with one Bat in particular for many decades!

CantRepeat
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
You could also just call in a JDAM on the place. No more bats.

kskonn
05-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Speaking of Billy the exterminator, what he did in a situation like this on his show was to wait for them to leave at night and then put up a netting so they could not get back in. Maybe try that with some bat houses.

captain planet
05-17-2011, 11:20 PM

Exactly. The bats can roost in the hollow stringers! 8p