PDA

View Full Version : Kids Wakeboard

UrbantuxTN
05-15-2011, 10:08 AM
My wife and I would like to try to get our 5 year old to start trying out watersports.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a child this young into wakeboarding?

What options are out there for a board / bindings?

What tips / tricks do you have for teaching him to do it?

UrbantuxTN
05-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Here is the board we are thinking about getting. It is a Liquid Force Nemesis 118.

http://www.activewake.com/liquid-force-nemesis-kids-domain-package-2011.html

Trig2275
05-15-2011, 11:19 AM
My 8 year old rides a Ronix Vision 120 with matching bindings. I Like the bindings on this set. They are adjustable without tools and sized for feet 2-6.

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/11visionvision

MCVOLS
05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
my kids used a Hyperlite 119 when they were small. At that age/size, I would go the the neighborhood pool, and have them sit with the rope on one end, and I would pull them across. (Have someone in the pool to get them upright if they tip over!) Once on the lake, using a boom was the way to go at first. That is now an easy way to teach their friends who have never done any watersports.

Jerseydave
05-15-2011, 05:29 PM
If you don't have a boom, get out there with you kid and ride next to them. That way after they fall you will be right there next to them while waiting for the boat to come back. Helps get rid of that fear factor of being all alone on the water.

Depending on your childs weight, that board should be a good size.

SchuyHigh
05-15-2011, 06:00 PM
My son started at 6 and then took off at 7 yrs old. He has a Hyperlite Voyager 120, but last year was probably its last(looking for new board as we speak).

Maybe 1 tip: Slow out of the hole, it takes near nothing to pull them out of water.

h20boy2
05-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I recommend using two ropes. I lay on a kneeboard out in the water with the child. I let them sit on the kneeboard (with wakeboard strapped on their feet) to help them get out of the water. Hold the back of the board with one hand and your rope with other hand while they are holding their own rope. Have driver take off slowly and go about 10 mph. Keep your hand on the back of the board to help keep it stabilized. As they get more comfortable, you can let go of the board and veer away from them and they are wakeboarding. I have used this technique on several 5 year olds and it has worked well everytime. It is a workout for you though!!

ShamrockIV
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
i taught my 6 year old.
i tried some thing new and it worked like a charm. i started her out on the surf rope. she is sloser to the boat and it pulls them up fast. once they get the hang of getting up which is only like ten times or so. stick them on the regular rope.