PDA

View Full Version : Infant safety tips/tricks!

capnkirk52
05-14-2011, 11:05 AM
My wife and I just welcomed our first child into the world on March 1st. We will be hitting the lake in a month or so and I wanted to get some tips and tricks from all you seasoned professionals on keeping her:

Afloat (infant life jacket).
Cool but not sunburned. (sunscreen and coverings)
Secure while on choppy water (do you bring a carrier on board).

CantRepeat
05-14-2011, 11:31 AM
You should not use sun screen on children younger then 6 months. Most of them have this warning on their product.

Oh, congrats on the kid! They're pretty fun.

samgreazy
05-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Congrats I had my first one dec 09, and last year on the boat was a struggle. She was fussy and WOULD NOT sleep on the boat. This year she is 1 1/2 years old and I am sure it will be a lot easier. Kids are great and I can't wait till I can pull her around on the tube and teach her to ski!! One thing we did; although, mine was a little older, was take the little play pen the is enclosed and let her play in it which occupied a little time. My best suggestion TAKE A BABYSITTER!! preferably one that is patient.(ie complete opposite of me!) haha good luck with everything!!

east tx skier
05-14-2011, 03:33 PM
My wife and I just welcomed our first child into the world on March 1st. We will be hitting the lake in a month or so and I wanted to get some tips and tricks from all you seasoned professionals on keeping her:

Afloat (infant life jacket).
Cool but not sunburned. (sunscreen and coverings)
Secure while on choppy water (do you bring a carrier on board).

We always put ours in a cheap bouncy seat in his life jacket, but not strapped into the seat. Absorbed the bumps and was easy to keep him in reach.

scharette
05-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Congrats I had my first one dec 09, and last year on the boat was a struggle. She was fussy and WOULD NOT sleep on the boat. This year she is 1 1/2 years old and I am sure it will be a lot easier. Kids are great and I can't wait till I can pull her around on the tube and teach her to ski!! One thing we did; although, mine was a little older, was take the little play pen the is enclosed and let her play in it which occupied a little time. My best suggestion TAKE A BABYSITTER!! preferably one that is patient.(ie complete opposite of me!) haha good luck with everything!!

I agree completely with you on the babysitter. before 6 months, its young to be on a boat.

Mine are now a little bit older.
Last year my 1 1/2 years and 4 years would eat snack all the time. its messy but its one of the way we found amuse them. also, every two sets, we would stop and swim with them around the boat.

Hammer
05-15-2011, 09:48 AM
We have been through three infants on our boat. Bimini is your friend, no sunscreen till they are at least 6 months. And just understand that it will be short days on the water. We didn't ski much in those days, mostly swimming and floating. I wouldn't use the carrier, they don't float.

capnkirk52
05-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I like the bouncy seat idea.

Have you guys found one particular brand of life jacket that is best or are they all pretty much the same?

03geetee
05-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Have you guys found one particular brand of life jacket that is best or are they all pretty much the same?

Great tips so far, bimini top for sure. Also pack lots of fluids for obvious reasons, as for lifejackets Obrien and Speedo make some nice certified neoprene vests that seem to be less bulky as the other brands I found. I didnt care how expensive they were, for comfort and function I would spend 1000.00 if it saved my girls life just once. Dont skimp.

What she wears...

http://www.lifejacketsinfants.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/90a58_child_life_jacket_41pSi5d2BgnL.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/LaborDay2010074.jpg

This one didnt work as well, to chunky...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/0016.jpg

JTR

east tx skier
05-15-2011, 10:32 AM

We had an HO infant vest that worked well for us. I saw someone mention a vest that will flip them on their back if they are in the water. Sounds like a useful feature.

east tx skier
05-15-2011, 10:35 AM
We have been through three infants on our boat. Bimini is your friend, no sunscreen till they are at least 6 months. And just understand that it will be short days on the water. We didn't ski much in those days, mostly swimming and floating. I wouldn't use the carrier, they don't float.

As long as they are not strapped into the carrier, it's not a bad place for them to sit. But definitely don't ever strap a child to anything in a boat.

Hammer
05-15-2011, 10:44 AM
As long as they are not strapped into the carrier, it's not a bad place for them to sit. But definitely don't ever strap a child to anything in a boat.

My problem with the carrier is the carrier falling, along with the sinking thing. There is no room on the floor in my boat for it. A friend that I used to ski with installed a seat belt on the observers seat to mount a car seat forward facing. That worked great and seemed comfy.

milehigh970
05-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow.. Crazy how different peoples views on kids are. My kids are both boat babies. My 3 year old was born in June and on the boat when she was 9 days old. My 2 month old was born in march.. So she was a whole month old before on the boat... The 3 year old when tired opens the seat and crawls in the bow for a nap..lol start them early... It will make life easier! Just be smart, your a parent now. ;) and have fun!

milehigh970
05-15-2011, 10:57 AM
My problem with the carrier is the carrier falling, along with the sinking thing. There is no room on the floor in my boat for it. A friend that I used to ski with installed a seat belt on the observers seat to mount a car seat forward facing. That worked great and seemed comfy.
Im not game with this idea. I don't like my kids being strapped to the boat! What if... I mean hey, you have kids on the boat and should behave as so but still. We use a carrier aswell but do not strap her in. On my prostar the carrier can sit on the observer seat next to the drivers seat and leans against the extended pylon. Ours fits there like its made for it, and puts me on one side and mom on the other.

03geetee
05-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Maybe its just me but if your child is that young with just a life jacket and someone like mommy holding him/her while you drive god forbid even if both of us got knocked out and couldnt get to her wouldnt the life jacket do what its supposed to? Re run that senario with the baby strapped to the carrier or worse the boat and it sinks, what do you do?

I say let the jacket do its job and just hold em tight and take her easy.

JTR

Thrall
05-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Our youngest, 5 now, was out when he was about 6 weeks old. He loved it, he was typically a dificult baby, adopted from a crack head birth mom, but was completely soothed on the boat.
2nd the reccomendations, good lifejacket, ouncy seat or car seat bucket for when you're not holding them. Just rig up a sheet or blanket over them for shade and they're good to go.
Of course we didn't take them out bashing open water at Lake Powell or anything, but normal day long boat rides, watersports, whatever was actually pretty easy with the little ones.
When we had just one kid, we were in NM, no observer law there. It would be just me, wife and kid, not busy lakes. Once he was about 2years old, I'd bungee him to the observers seat so I could ride while my wife drove without having to keep him from falling off the seat or crawling around while under way. Worked great, he'd sit and wave the flag (and throw it overboard)!

east tx skier
05-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Ours sat next to the driver's seat. I don't recall it being too tight of a fit.

Ben
05-15-2011, 01:42 PM
From our experience, infant vests all fit differently, and somehow babies are all different too. An expensive neoprene one may work best, or a $10 one from Bass Pro may work too. I'd prepare to get or try a few and keep what seems to fit best. Unhappy baby = unhappy day on water. They will all likely do a similar job in the event they need to do it.

Also, the baby holder needs to be aware of the water conditions, i.e. "we're gonna hit rollers in 10 seconds.." Especially if they are facing backwards, as most of our observers do. Need to be mindful of little baby necks.

Other than that, get them out there, float them in the water an have fun.

Covi
05-15-2011, 02:32 PM
We have a series of differant style vest for our son. He seems to like the neoprene the best. To me it is less bulky and would be more comfortable. His first year in the boat we STRAPPED him in the car seat and STRAPPED a life jacket to the car seat handle. Knowing if it fell over the life jacket would keep both the car seat and the kid afloat.
What? What's wrong with that? I'm just kidding would never in a million years do that!!!!
Anyway here are some photos of Miles 2.3 years old last summer. When he's not sitting on his moms lap driving he's swimming or drinking beer with me! What? Again, what's wrong with that? LOL!

rhsprostar
05-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi
Congrats. Check out the following link to another thread for the life jacket recomendation. I used the baby Bijoux from Salus marine because it's the only one designed to roll your baby onto it's back if they fall in the water.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40562&highlight=baby+bijoux

willgeorge
05-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Great info guys! I've got a little one coming and this will help out! Thanks

SchuyHigh
05-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Is this a bad example?? JK - We were at dock.

Hammer
05-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Im not game with this idea. I don't like my kids being strapped to the boat! What if... I mean hey, you have kids on the boat and should behave as so but still. We use a carrier aswell but do not strap her in. On my prostar the carrier can sit on the observer seat next to the drivers seat and leans against the extended pylon. Ours fits there like its made for it, and puts me on one side and mom on the other.

The kid was not strapped in. Just the seat. So on hard slalom starts the kid didn't slide off. The kid is in a vest, and I repeat, not strapped into the seat.

swatguy
05-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Both my daughters were on the boat asap. They have been on the boat since they practically pooped out. Weather permitting of course :).

We used the infant carrier for a bit and then a bouncy seat on the floor, in the walkway between the seats. As has been said do not strap them in. However it is ok to secure the seat of need be. They loved it and so did we. most of the time they went straight to sleep as riders rode, and then woke when we had to change riders. I think having them on the boat at such a young age helps them become more comfortable on the boat when they hit the 2's 3's and 4's. Both my daughters, 6 and 4, now help out and stay put in their seats while we are underway and are not "curious" about everything around the water and boat. They are very boat concious and I really don't worry at all about them on it. They are so used to wearing vests its a non issue. However I will be the first to say the infant vests are not comfy at all for them. They ride up and tend to choke them while they are sitting. We had to unbeckle the top buck on most of the 7 we tried to get them to not turn blue. No that they are in the toddler style they are as comfy as a shirt

Congrats and best of luck.

flipper
05-16-2011, 10:39 AM
We have the HO vest also, worked great. I tried the carrier on board, but ended up being easier, and better for the kid IMO to just hold them. Sitting in the carrier kind of put the kid through a beating really.

For sunscreen, talk to your pediatrician. Ours told us to try a little child sunblock, the highest number you can find, on a small spot and watch for a reaction. If none, you are fine to use it. We also used hats, bimini top, long sleeve shirts etc. One trick that we found to work well is wrap the baby in a wet blanket. Helps keep them cool, and keep the sun off them. Don't forget to keep them hydrated. We carried pedialyte all the time, even when he was still on milk per docs orders.

I'd go over all this with you pediatrician though.

Barefooter92
05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
My boys (twins) loved the boat last year at 6 mo. Sunscreen is a must! Talk to your doctor as there are products out there for the newborns. I remember something about not having Zinc in the product.

A comfortable life jacket is key. We had nice HO neo jackets for them and they did not fit well and the kids cried the whole time they wore them. Google "most comfortable infant life jacket" we found some from a kayak place in Okaloma this made a world of difference. The opening at the face was a deep V and seemed to keep them happy.

I say no to the baby carrier. Kids need to keep there jacket on and this is impossible in the carriers plus if the carrier would somehow fall out of the boat it will not float upright. Your skiing days are not done just delayed.

Enjoy