PDA

View Full Version : 2003 X30: taking on water on starboard stern after many tries to fix

DavidMCX30
05-14-2011, 02:13 AM
I bought my boat last year. It’s had a slight leak in the starboard stern since I purchased it. I’ve had three shops look at it and I’ve paid for a “fix” every time. All “fixes” seemed plausible at the time, and the leak has been reduced, but nothing has totally cured the problem yet. I’ve now “fixed” the shower and ballast (2X), but I’m still leaking. It’s like my boat has incontinence! I am beginning to suspect where the swim platform bolts in. Wondering if I should take out the bolts and apply a marine sealant? Any thoughts?

Jeff d
05-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Couldn't hurt to reseal those platform bolts.

Does it leak with ballast empty? Or only when full? If only when full then it's likely something between the empty and full water lines on the hull. That or the ballast tank, hose or fitting in that area. What about your tow eyes on the transom?

gatorguy
05-14-2011, 10:04 AM
The key to a true fix is to identify where the actual leak is. Have you been able to see where the water is actually entering if from? You may need to take out the floor and panels and go to the lake with a bunch of towels. Put it in the water, dry everything up with the towels the sit a watch. If you don't see water pooling up start running the engine, then filling/emptying ballast etc... Only change one thing at a time till you see the water coming in. I would hold off randomly fixing stuff till you have a better idea where it is coming from. Sounds like a pain. I can only think of one thing worse, and that is chasing a ghost in your electrical system. Good luck.

JimN
05-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I bought my boat last year. It’s had a slight leak in the starboard stern since I purchased it. I’ve had three shops look at it and I’ve paid for a “fix” every time. All “fixes” seemed plausible at the time, and the leak has been reduced, but nothing has totally cured the problem yet. I’ve now “fixed” the shower and ballast (2X), but I’m still leaking. It’s like my boat has incontinence! I am beginning to suspect where the swim platform bolts in. Wondering if I should take out the bolts and apply a marine sealant? Any thoughts?

If the first place charged you to repair the leak, you should have gone back to them after you found that it still leaked. There's only one way to find out where the water is coming in and that requires some dis-assembly and removal of interior parts.

If they sealed along the rub rail, did they remove the rail first and re-seal the hull/deck joint, or just put some silicone along the edges and say it was done?

ahhudgins
05-14-2011, 10:36 AM
If the first place charged you to repair the leak, you should have gone back to them after you found that it still leaked. There's only one way to find out where the water is coming in and that requires some dis-assembly and removal of interior parts.

If they sealed along the rub rail, did they remove the rail first and re-seal the hull/deck joint, or just put some silicone along the edges and say it was done?

I 100% agree with Jim and the other responses. You can hunt and peck and hope you eventually find the leak, or you can take logical steps by removing panels, using towels, and emptying tanks. I had to pull my carpet out to find my leak but it was worth the time once I found the problem. When the boat was sitting in the water I could also hear a very faint bubbling sound and I could see small bubbles coming from one exhaust hose. All of my hose clamps needed to be snugged down on my mufflers.

This link shows my hull leak:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40634

DavidMCX30
05-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Great advice. Same advice I would give at work -- figure out what you're trying to fix, otherwise you're flying blind.

The saga of going to three different marina's/service shops is complicated. Bad experience with service manager at my local MasterCraft dealer. One is out of state; we used them on a trip. The last has been good, so may go back to him on this.

If I try to diagnose myself, any tips on removing panels and carpet? I'm fairly new to all of this. Ahhudgins, thanks for the link to how you fixed your leak. Nicely done.

JimN
05-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Great advice. Same advice I would give at work -- figure out what you're trying to fix, otherwise you're flying blind.

The saga of going to three different marina's/service shops is complicated. Bad experience with service manager at my local MasterCraft dealer. One is out of state; we used them on a trip. The last has been good, so may go back to him on this.

If I try to diagnose myself, any tips on removing panels and carpet? I'm fairly new to all of this. Ahhudgins, thanks for the link to how you fixed your leak. Nicely done.

If you have a problem with the service manager, talk to the owner or General Manager. Avoiding the place because of the service manager doesn't solve anything- it just avoids a confrontation that's usually unnecessary and almost always avoidable. If he doesn't want to take care of customers, he shouldn't be the service manager but the customer needs to let the service department do their job. If they don't do a good job, MC should be brought into the loop.