PDA

View Full Version : 5.7 MCX Problem...Help!

socalangler
05-14-2011, 02:06 AM
So I finally found 2004 X2 w/ 5.7MCX I want to buy but it has a problem that I can't figure out. I was running the boat on the hose today and it started surging. As it came up to about 3000 RPMs it would instantly drop back to about 2000. Then it would jump right back up to 3000 and right back down to 2000. This happened with the boat out of gear while on the trailer. I hope it is something simple because I really like it. It was almost like it hit a rev limiter and and dropped back to 2000. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

JimN
05-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Delete this post, please.

JimN
05-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Check the fuel pressure first and don't throw parts at it in an attempt to diagnose the problem. The sensors can tell where the problems are but you'll need a manual to learn what to look for. Also, check the impeller- did you watch the water coming out the exhaust while it was running?

Don't run it in gear for more than a few seconds if you want your strut bearings to survive. Also, unless you use a large container for holding water, don't run it higher than idle when it's on the trailer. A garden hose will never keep up with the water demand, especially if the impeller is new.